You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The McCanns...

Chris

• 8 months later...

Not a dig at you at all @Anubis, but I do now and always have found it weird how the death or disappearance of a little girl is considered such free rein. That sticker has been out in purposefully you’d imagine.

You’d never hear a joke about Baby P or the little one whose parents are in court for murder now, and quite rightly so, but for some reason, this is and always has been fair game. It’s fucking mad

6 hours ago, Curly said:

Not a dig at you at all @Anubis, but I do now and always have found it weird how the death or disappearance of a little girl is considered such free rein. That sticker has been out in purposefully you’d imagine.

You’d never hear a joke about Baby P or the little one whose parents are in court for murder now, and quite rightly so, but for some reason, this is and always has been fair game. It’s fucking mad

I agree. It must be a heartbreaking situation and with a Grandaughter around the same age I'd have no idea how I'd react to anything happening to her. 

• Upvote 1

Well it is a dig at me, so let’s not start with a lie. There are enough lies and bullshit surrounding the case already.

At least I’m clear enough on where I stand, my reasoning for it, and my distaste for the PR and media campaign that has allowed her parents to avoid scrutiny. If I sometimes stray into the dark humour element, it’s not that I don’t have sympathy for the kid herself who is almost certainly dead, but rather I have no sympathy for her parents or the people who have them succour.

Edit: If you want to admonish me for it, I’m ok with it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Curly said:

One of the great things about the GF is people’s ability to make light out of most things. 

Until some cunt posts beans on a fry up. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

Well it is a dig at me, so let’s not start with a lie. There are enough lies and bullshit surrounding the case already.

At least I’m clear enough on where I stand, my reasoning for it, and my distaste for the PR and media campaign that has allowed her parents to avoid scrutiny. If I sometimes stray into the dark humour element, it’s not that I don’t have sympathy for the kid herself who is almost certainly dead, but rather I have no sympathy for her parents or the people who have them succour.

You seem to have more information than the media has actually released,or a different take on it. Is that fair to say?

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

?

I've got no problem with dark humour, but if you think they've escaped scrutiny, from the police, the media, the public, then we're obviously living on different planets.

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You seem to have more information than the media has actually released,or a different take on it. Is that fair to say?

The Portuguese case file is publically available online. Or it used to be.

1 minute ago, Jack the Sipper said:

?

I've got no problem with dark humour, but if you think they've escaped scrutiny, from the police, the media, the public, then we're obviously living on different planets.

They definitely haven't had the kind of scrutiny a working class Mum and Dad at a Holiday Camp would have,whichever way you look at it.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

They definitely haven't had the kind of scrutiny a working class Mum and Dad at a Holiday Camp would have,whichever way you look at it.

Bollocks. They've had endless scrutiny and accusations made against them, and still do, without any evidence from armchair detectives and conspiracy theorists. There's even discussions forums set up to 'investigate' their role in Maddie's disappearance. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Bollocks. They've had endless scrutiny and accusations made against them, and still do, without any evidence from armchair detectives and conspiracy theorists. There's even discussions forums set up to 'investigate' their role in Maddie's disappearance. 

In the popular media? I wouldn't regard the internet as a yardstick of much common sense though.

10 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

In the popular media? I wouldn't regard the internet as a yardstick of much common sense though.

There's been countless insinuations in articles and columns, and even headlines implying they were guilty, again without evidence. If anything, it was those headlines that stoked up the hatred against them among the more feeble-minded members of the public. You think the press don't know how to engineer a good old class-based resentment when it sells papers or serves an agenda?

This, from the Guardian in 2008:

The Daily Express and Daily Star carried unprecedented front page apologies to Gerry and Kate McCann today for publishing more than 100 articles on the disappearance of their daughter, Madeleine, some of which suggested the couple were involved in her death 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/mar/19/dailyexpress.dailystar

And what comparable 'working class mum and dad at a holiday camp' example are we talking about? 

53 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

There's been countless insinuations in articles and columns, and even headlines implying they were guilty, again without evidence. If anything, it was those headlines that stoked up the hatred against them among the more feeble-minded members of the public. You think the press don't know how to engineer a good old class-based resentment when it sells papers or serves an agenda?

This, from the Guardian in 2008:

The Daily Express and Daily Star carried unprecedented front page apologies to Gerry and Kate McCann today for publishing more than 100 articles on the disappearance of their daughter, Madeleine, some of which suggested the couple were involved in her death 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2008/mar/19/dailyexpress.dailystar

And what comparable 'working class mum and dad at a holiday camp' example are we talking about? 

Fair enough. I don't pay much attention to the media but it seemed a perception. You know more than me on the topic and I dont want to spend much time discussing the ins and outs of a toddler's tragic (likely) demise.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

One of the great things about the GF is people’s ability to make light out of most things. 

Until some cunt posts beans on a fry up. 

It’s not even a GF thing mate. It’s everyone and everywhere. Bizarre