You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

And people who like sitting in a dry tent ten minutes after arriving on site with a cold beer in hand as they watch the jealous inflatable tent virgins around them getting soaked in the rain.

No sense of achievement with an inflatable tent though.

Part of being a man is to struggle putting said tent up, arguing with the other half and telling her to mind her own business. Hoofing yhe kids up the arse for being in the way. Then once the task is complete, shout 'TA-DAR!' Crack open a beer Stone Cold Steve Austin style.

That's what my Dad did anyway.

No sense of achievement with an inflatable tent though.

Part of being a man is to struggle putting said tent up' date=' arguing with the other half and telling her to mind her own business. Hoofing yhe kids up the arse for being in the way. Then once the task is complete, shout 'TA-DAR!' Crack open a beer Stone Cold Steve Austin style.

That's what my Dad did anyway.[/quote']

I've grown beyond all that. Next step is getting the kids to do it all.

Right, I'm loving this camping lark, well I've only been once in recent years but so what, who are you to judge, anyway we have a dual camping stove and I need to get a gas bottle to hook the cunt up. Basically, I don't know how to do this, where to get the gas from, what size it should be ?? I'm in aintree so need to get it sorted local and I don't really want to have to pay £50 for the pleasure, any advice ???

Right' date=' I'm loving this camping lark, well I've only been once in recent years but so what, who are you to judge, anyway we have a dual camping stove and I need to get a gas bottle to hook the cunt up. Basically, I don't know how to do this, where to get the gas from, what size it should be ?? I'm in aintree so need to get it sorted local and I don't really want to have to pay £50 for the pleasure, any advice ???[/quote']

Outdoor Megastore on the Dock Road in Litherland, Al.

Cheers mate' date=' I'll bounce down there tonight, far too excited for this little camping trip, it's only in chester somewhere but to me the location isn't as important as what you make of it yourself.[/quote']

If its just a gas bottle you need your local petrol station is worth a look. I get our barbecue refills from Morrisons....but there's something exciting about gear shops...well, I think so you may be set on going there anyway

Off to Shell Island tomorrow for the first time. Hope it lives up to your billing Sherry (weather could be a spanner in the works, mind). Also booked Fron Farm for the last weekend of the holidays too.

And here was me keeping an eye out for you at bestie!

Didn't miss much, bit pants for the adults this year, however the kids were blown away with the stuff they had going on. Horrible Histories, Earths dinosaur zoo (fantastic) and in2action.

Just got back and it was ace. Didn't miss leccy at all and the bogs - despite the online slatings - were fine. The showers was the main downside - only at the main reception area and only open for limited parts of the day. What the fuck?

Still, the beach, the views and the dunes were all ace and we had a great time despite the bi-polar weather. We'll deffo go back.

Did you use the portaloos? Even i struggle with those!

They can't get planning permission for anymore buildings to put more showers in, even the reception area has to be reapplied for regularly, Snowdonia national park can be utter arses on some things.

Don't go on a bank holiday weekend, it will destroy it for you.

They've a end of season party for the last weekend of October half term thats really good fun, you'd think it'd be too cold, but it's not and you spend most of the evening in a marquee on the car park anyway.

Cheers mate, I'll bounce down there tonight, far too excited for this little camping trip, it's only in chester somewhere but to me the location isn't as important as what you make of it yourself.

Well, how did you get on?

I've just got back from 2 weeks camping, including a festival and a week in Osmington, Dorset. Campsite wasn't the bees knees, but at £13 per tent per night it was a bloody bargain. More so given there are 7 of us.

Oh and i picked up a better tan then i did after 17 days in France a couple of months ago.

Booked a long weekend away weekend just gone, went down to Devon for a couple days and then Cornwall for a couple more.

Was great, turned the personal and work phones off, took some books and went sightseeing. Was really nice just me and her.

We've been really lame this year. Only our second camping trip but hoping to fit in another one this weekend.

Think I posted it a few pages back but we went there again this weekend and I would again recommend Cofton Country Park in Dawlish Warren, Devon.

Counting down the hours to the weekend if we manage to sort another trip out.

And here was me keeping an eye out for you at bestie!

Didn't miss much, bit pants for the adults this year, however the kids were blown away with the stuff they had going on. Horrible Histories, Earths dinosaur zoo (fantastic) and in2action.

Did you use the portaloos? Even i struggle with those!

They can't get planning permission for anymore buildings to put more showers in, even the reception area has to be reapplied for regularly, Snowdonia national park can be utter arses on some things.

Don't go on a bank holiday weekend, it will destroy it for you.

They've a end of season party for the last weekend of October half term thats really good fun, you'd think it'd be too cold, but it's not and you spend most of the evening in a marquee on the car park anyway.

Well, how did you get on?

I've just got back from 2 weeks camping, including a festival and a week in Osmington, Dorset. Campsite wasn't the bees knees, but at £13 per tent per night it was a bloody bargain. More so given there are 7 of us.

Oh and i picked up a better tan then i did after 17 days in France a couple of months ago.

I used the portaloo once, the day after the slurry wagon had been round and it was still grim. Reminded me of the days of being away at Scout camp and using the thunder box.

The showers/planning permission thing makes sense, but why do they only open them for a limited time? Surely they should be open 24 hours a day? We didn't use them at all while there as the queues were ridiculous. Normally, I'm in the shower by 7am when camping but couldn't as they weren't open. Luckily, we had two days on the beach and in the (warm) sea and on the pissy rain day, we went to Harlech to the castle and then on to the swimming pool and had a shower there. It's still shit though when you can't get a shower. Does my head in.

I'm going camping with my man friend at the end of the month. The only issue is I don't want to buy a trangia because they're expensive and I wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense. Any decent ideas/alternatives/cheap leads on trangias?

Just use a little single burner stove - around £15 and the gas bottles are around £1.25 each.

I used the portaloo once, the day after the slurry wagon had been round and it was still grim. Reminded me of the days of being away at Scout camp and using the thunder box.

The showers/planning permission thing makes sense, but why do they only open them for a limited time? Surely they should be open 24 hours a day? We didn't use them at all while there as the queues were ridiculous. Normally, I'm in the shower by 7am when camping but couldn't as they weren't open. Luckily, we had two days on the beach and in the (warm) sea and on the pissy rain day, we went to Harlech to the castle and then on to the swimming pool and had a shower there. It's still shit though when you can't get a shower. Does my head in.

There is a sign on the door saying it closes, but i've never known them to be locked, must be a new thing, did they actually lock the door?

The castle is lovely. That swimming pool has been given reprieve after reprieve, it should have closed about 3 years ago due to lack of funding!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Even that 12 year old of yours?

She's an odd one that one. She loves camping, so long as she has WIFI at the moment she's happy. I went to a concert in London with SKI a few years ago and whilst there we visited the occupy movement and took a few pictures, this kids first question on seeing the images were "but where are they pegging the tents in". 

She's an odd one that one. She loves camping, so long as she has WIFI at the moment she's happy. I went to a concert in London with SKI a few years ago and whilst there we visited the occupy movement and took a few pictures, this kids first question on seeing the images were "but where are they pegging the tents in".

Haha. I always wondered that myself!

• 1 month later...

bumping this as I need some help:

I want to buy a tent and I know less than nothing about camping. There's me and my mrs and 2 kids - and when I asked the guy in Millets - he said that I should be looking at 5 or 6 berth tent so we have a bit of room to float about in. He then tried to sell me a Berghaus inflatable tent for about £450

I truly have no clue

Thoughts - recommendations - general piss taking ?

Thanks

The blow up tents are amazing, and would be a piece of pee for a virgin camper I'd have thought. You need to look at a 6 man, minimum, though. What age are the kids? boys, girls? one of each?

That tent had an offer on the other week that you got the porch for free when buying the tent, so at that price without the porch they're taking the mick now. 

If you're new to it, I wouldn't be spending too much because if the family don't like it, it's an expensive fail. Do you know anyone you can borrow the kit (or indeed any kit) from for your first outing? 

If you really must buy one, I'd recommend a tunnel tent, it's simple enough to pop up, I used to put the gelert Lokon up on my own on a regular basis, all poles were the same length so little room for mistakes. The gelert horizon is pretty easy, just different size poles, the same with the higear Kalahari. Both are fiberglass poles, avoid steel poles as they're bloody heavy and its much harder to put the tent up if there's not enough adults. 

This is the closest to the Lokon I could find. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SunnCamp-Invader-800-Blue-Grey/dp/B007DWESYC

I'd look around on ebay, gumtree, preloved and the like. Like I said,  I really wouldn't be spending the kind of money you're going to need to to buy new if it's a new family adventure. 

Thanks.

The girls are 5 & 8 and happy to share a bedroom but I'd prefer one where they we next to us so a tunnel one sounds good.

We did borrow.a tent from my SIL and went for a weekend, but basically it was crap and freezing, but that still hasn't put the girls off. They had the best time and can't wait until we can go again.

Had a look on eBay and it does seem like there is quite a choice. Probably idiots like me buying all the gear and then going once..Are there any brands that you would recommend or steer clear of? It seems like Vango and Kampa are around the right budget for what we would need?

Thanks again

Deffo get an inflatable. Look at Go Outdoors. Their prices are superb if you spend a fiver on the discount card (although I got mine free from the opening of the new Liverpool store last week - bought a Coleman event shelter for virtually half price!).

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Deffo get an inflatable. Look at Go Outdoors. Their prices are superb if you spend a fiver on the discount card (although I got mine free from the opening of the new Liverpool store last week - bought a Coleman event shelter for virtually half price!).

What a time to be alive.

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...