You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hypnosis

SharQ

I was flicking through some old tv channels, and came across a channel that showed some stage hypnotist doing various tricks.

Reminded me of back in the day, when Paul McKenna was doing hypnosis on stage, they showed it in Norway every Thursday I think.

So what do you guys think of stage hypnosis or hypnosis in general? I guess psychotherapy with hypnosis falls in a slightly different category, but also there, I can't help but being skeptical.

Have ever of you ever known someone who has been hypnotised? Ever been subject to hypnotherapy or hypnosis yourself?

Tell! Tell!

McKenna is a Master Practitioner (or whatever they're called) in Neuro Linguistic Programming - which is a sort of sophisticated positive thinking system used a lot in HR training and the like, pop psychology really. NLP uses Ericksonian hynotherapy techniques - Milton Erickson was a therapist who developed hypnotic-type skills using voice patterns etc - not exactly putting people in a trance but powerful suggestion techniques.

I think some of this stuff does have a grain of truth in it, but is mainly based on the personal power of the performers and having compliant punters from the audience - who probably wouldn't have bought tickets if they thought it was all bollocks.

I went to see a stage hypnotist under duress, and was actually really impressed and semi-convinced that there was something in it. So much so, that I presuaded a fellow sceptic to come and went along again.

Part of his act was getting some people out of the audience to come up on stage and perform mildly humiliating tasks,etc whilst under hypnotic trance.

Imagine my amusement when three of the randomly selected audience members from the first show not only turned up for the second show, but were picked again in the second show! What a staggering coincidence.

Fucking bollocks, the lot of it. There is something in the power of suggestion over weak and willing minds, just ask any sad middle class white boy who has ever bought a Kanye West album because they were told it wuz street t b down wit da niggaz.

Years ago I used to hypnotise one of my mates and leave him instructions to do silly,little things when he woke up like tip an ashtray over.It was funny watching him preparing to do it and then try and rationalise his behaviour after.

He was very stupid though so maybe this doesn't count.

One of my brothers mates, good lad who goes everywhere he can with the Reds, took his bird to Benidorm for a week last year and while he was there he got up on stage with 5-6 others for a good bit of stage hypnosis.

Me being the sceptic wouldnt normally have believed what he was telling me he did but then he produced the video of it all. Fucking hell, what a laugh.

One or two on the stage it didnt work on so they were asked to leave but it worked on Joey, the fella had him believing all sorts of things. He was dancing with some lad, stroking his face, whispering sweet nothings into his ear. While he was seated his chair was giving him electric shocks, he thought there was a fairy called Tinkerbell who was being squashed by one of the other hypnotees and really kicked off at him. Some of the things he had Joey doing were ridiculously funny. Cant remember them all

He even made Joey believe that they had won the lottery but his bird had thrown away the ticket. He flew at her!

Honestly, i wouldnt have believed in hypnotism really before seeing it with my own eyes. I know people who have visited a private hypnotist for certain reasons, but actually making people act like a complete and utter fool must be a great power to have. Funny as fuck.

Someone I knew ate a raw onion believing it was an apple when hypnotised. My brother in law got hynotised once too, he was giving off what I can only describe as a weird vibe for days afterwards. I think there is definitely something in it, but we don't really understand it or how to control it.

Derren Brown who explains how he does everything and doesn't pretend to use magic says that he uses hypnotherapy.

I hypnotise myself everyday. It's true. When I was 13 I got attacked by a german shepherd, and had a really really bad phobia of dogs for years. It completely messed up my life. Nobody realised I had this phobia. When walking home I would walk around particular routes to avoid dogs. If a dog ran up to me barking I would freeze and I got a pins-and-needles sensation throughout my body. Anyway I went to a proper hypnotist years ago and overcame the phobia using hypnosis. I only spent 3 sessions there but he thought me how to self-hypnotise and I use it to relax everyday. It takes me a few mins but I can make my whole body limp. My arms and legs feel like they weigh an absolute tonne. I also automatically use triggers still when I see dogs, just in case. Loads of people do. Loads of public figures use triggers to avoid losing their tempers or saying something stupid. Tony Blair holds up his hand and turns in one of his fingers when he addresses the media or people. That is a trigger for him to calm down.

I am not a fan of the stage stuff. It makes a mockery of real hypnosis, it is amazingly powerful when you practice it regularly.

I hypnotise myself everyday. It's true. When I was 13 I got attacked by a german shepherd, and had a really really bad phobia of dogs for years. It completely messed up my life. Nobody realised I had this phobia. When walking home I would walk around particular routes to avoid dogs. If a dog ran up to me barking I would freeze and I got a pins-and-needles sensation throughout my body. Anyway I went to a proper hypnotist years ago and overcame the phobia using hypnosis. I only spent 3 sessions there but he thought me how to self-hypnotise and I use it to relax everyday. It takes me a few mins but I can make my whole body limp. My arms and legs feel like they weigh an absolute tonne. I also automatically use triggers still when I see dogs, just in case. Loads of people do. Loads of public figures use triggers to avoid losing their tempers or saying something stupid. Tony Blair holds up his hand and turns in one of his fingers when he addresses the media or people. That is a trigger for him to calm down.

I am not a fan of the stage stuff. It makes a mockery of real hypnosis, it is amazingly powerful when you practice it regularly.

How do you look into your own eyes?

now that's just mean. hyponosis is real though - you're all hypnotised every time you get lost in a film or a game & you're not aware of time passing. a trance is essentially a state of consciousness you get into where your attention is profoundly but temporarily focused outside of yourself. a person who is 'hypnotised' is just voluntarily focusing all their attention on stimuli controlled by the 'hypnotiser', thus allowing themselves to be manipulated in terms of their thoughts & to a lesser extent, their behaviour. and what BCP says is also correct - it's all aboot the NLP. now you all know.

We had a hynotist at our halls when i first went away to college....he had about 5 lads up who all played in my footy team and they all fell for it hook line and sinker. The hypnotist puts them under and says right its a saturday and its just approaching 3 ocloack in the afternoon, do what you would be doing normally. They were all doing normal stuff like pretending to drink but one lads drinking motion looked a bit strange...the hypnotist goes over to him and says ok what is it that you are doing....the guy replies (he slurred actually) - its 3 oclock on a saturday afternoon - im wanking before my bird arrives!

He got shit from all angles for that