You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marina Purkiss

Bjornebye

Wouldn't say it was a blazing row. 

What's interesting about it is that it's one way. I thought initially it was because Rees-Mogg is thick, which is partly true, but I actually think it's because he doesn't care either way. He's got no real principles to argue other than the fact he's made bank out of the whole thing and is quite happy. It's like asking me to argue who was the best central midfielder between Keane and Viera, I could keep it up for about 30 seconds then realise I didn't really give a fuck. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What's interesting about it is that it's one way. I thought initially it was because Rees-Mogg is thick, which is partly true, but I actually think it's because he doesn't care either way. He's got no real principles to argue other than the fact he's made bank out of the whole thing and is quite happy. It's like asking me to argue who was the best central midfielder between Keane and Viera, I could keep it up for about 30 seconds then realise I didn't really give a fuck. 

Not sure I agree. Her saying she'd never go on that channel again seemed to prompt a complete shutdown of any rational discussion. Freedom of speech so long as you say what we want you to. Fairly typical covert nationalist toxicity. I hope to see more blazing rows if they result in shutdowns.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It was a shit discussion. And I think he got bored of her after two answers. 

She had no intention of answering anything and just had what she wanted to say (which wasn’t wrong) and that was it . People putting her on a pedestal for “Destroying Mogg” is a bit over the top.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

She had no intention of answering anything and just had what she wanted to say (which wasn’t wrong) and that was it . People putting her on a pedestal for “Destroying Mogg” is a bit over the top.

She's shite.

Get someone who knows their stuff to sort him out instead of her.

Folk just want her to be destroying him, I reckon she'd struggle in a debate with my five year old Son.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

The speaker should have pulled that cunt for disrespecting the house.

Unfortunately we have the worst, most ineffective speaker I can remember.

We need a proper, modern parliament instead of an ancient building with opposing sides jeering at each other (when they can be arsed leaving the free bar). 

Imagine having a political system populated by grown ups. Or having a leader who is inspirational and full of ideas. This country is shit. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Yeah I find a lot of this shit boring to be honest. It was the same when they were going on about Marcus Rashford 'doing more to hold the government to account' than the Labour party. 

This is only in the world of slacktivism and social media, where people can share a clip and consider it a job well done. But then probably tell you they don't vote. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

We need a proper, modern parliament instead of an ancient building with opposing sides jeering at each other (when they can be arsed leaving the free bar). 

Imagine having a political system populated by grown ups. Or having a leader who is inspirational and full of ideas. This country is shit. 

its a class thing.

Imagine a load of working class local councillors behaving like that?

because a load of them were privately educated, its like something from an eton debating society.

compared to other county's its an utter embarrassment.

I genuinely despise this country at times.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

It's hilarious how the "right" bemoan the influence of "the left", when the right's message is currently carried by 95% of the country's newspapers and two dedicated 24 hour newspapers,  while all opposition consists of this woman (I still genuinely don't know who she is) Gary Lineker and Carol Vorderman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

It's hilarious how the "right" bemoan the influence of "the left", when the right's message is currently carried by 95% of the country's newspapers and two dedicated 24 hour newspapers,  while all opposition consists of this woman (I still genuinely don't know who she is) Gary Lineker and Carol Vorderman.

I love how the country is actually really governed by ultra-woke teachers and trans activists, and that people like Farage, Johnson, Sunak and the current cabinet are brave insurgent freedom fighters trying to reclaim the country from the liberal elite.

• Upvote 4

I still see left and right economically. All this trans, LGBT, race, sexism stuff is separate to me & they are things the economically right want us to be debating on Twitter while them and all their pals take the money.

This referring to 'the left' and 'the right' is infantile too, life is far more complicated than that. It's quite possible to believe in a fair distribution of wealth and be a racist bastard.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I still see left and right economically. All this trans, LGBT, race, sexism stuff is separate to me & they are things the economically right want us to be debating on Twitter while them and all their pals take the money.

This referring to 'the left' and 'the right' is infantile too, life is far more complicated than that. It's quite possible to believe in a fair distribution of wealth and be a racist bastard.

Yeah spot on that. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

In fact a lot of people who have supported parties who have pretty right wing social views have done so partly because they have more traditional left wing economic views - nationalisation being a big one. They've also felt Labour has moved away from this - become more left wing socially, and more right wing economically.

And, as you say, the trans shite is somewhere between completely irrelevant and a bit fucking tedious for most people. 

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Lineker and Vorderman are not even left wing really. They are centerists. 

Vordeman was snuggling up to David Cameron not that long ago.