You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Saw a nice little flurry of tweets about Klopp having more control than ever over transfer business today. It’s almost like they’re preparing some kind of line of damage limitation for FSG. Personally I don’t care who is to blame, even if we go get Lavia, another midfielder and a defender this window has been shambolic to get to the stage where we are discussing Jones or Mac Allister as our starting defensive midfielder.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes, nor would I pretend too. There is a chance we are looking at another player and if we could get Lavia for what the club considers his value maybe that makes the deal. To continue to repeat the - we only work on one deal at a time mantra when it has proven to be false seems off. No one had a clue we were signing the guy we are now trying to replace until it happened. That happens more often than not.

Certainly it is a little strange that you continue to believe journalists who half the time you say are "lying" and the other half the time are making it up.

No one inside the club "leaks" facts - until something concrete happens then there is a chorus.

There was a flurry about Lavia after we signed Dom though, this is the point. And the guy who told me about there was another signing coming might well have known who, but he didn't share with me. But he was told directly from the club. 

And then the week between offers, you really think it's because we've got one eye on someone else?

I actually have no issue if we think Lavia isn't worth it. Sound. Move on, stop adding another couple of quid once a week. 

It's been a fucking farce the whole thing. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

There was a flurry about Lavia after we signed Dom though, this is the point. And the guy who told me about there was another signing coming might well have known who, but he didn't share with me. But he was told directly from the club. 

Man, no disrespect but read through this again.

What flurry, by whom? Then some fella ( if it were Everton it would be a cab driver) told you someone was going to get signed, but he couldn't say who.

Did he then touch his nose?

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Man, no disrespect but read through this again.

What flurry, by whom? Then some fella ( if it were Everton it would be a cab driver) told you someone was going to get signed, but he couldn't say who.

Did he then touch his nose?

The person who told me is a mate. He is one of the people who the club ask to attend many things at anfield, including new signings. It's his job. No disrespect but I'm not telling you his name and job. 

• Upvote 1

I imagine all this ITK bull is usually people who work at Anfield and have certain roles to carry out when a player is being signed hence the ‘I can’t tell you who but..’ I remember David Johnson was the legend on our stadium tour and he was telling us some transfer stuff he’d heard on the grapevine and it was fairly obvious the players are as clueless as the rest of us. So why would the guy who polishes the leaning spots at Melwood know Jack shit?

Fucking hell.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/romeo-lavia-embarrassing-talks-explained-27488890

I wonder if Man City are influencing this somehow....

Seems a bit weird that they have dropped the asking prices on Ward-Prowse and Livramento and done deals - but won't seemingly budge on Lavia. I suppose even indirectly Man City could be wielding influence with the buy back clause....but i do wonder if they are being a bit more direct than that?

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fucking hell.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/romeo-lavia-embarrassing-talks-explained-27488890

Seems a bit weird that they have dropped the asking prices on Ward-Prowse and Livramento and done deals - but won't seemingly budge on Lavia. I suppose even indirectly Man City could be wielding influence with the buy back clause....but i do wonder if they are being a bit more direct than that?

To be honest mate, I don't blame Southampton in the slightest; we've taken the piss out of them for years now with several transfers and it seems that now they've decided to take a stance.

Lavia is their player and they set the price, but once again we go in and arrogantly low ball them and expect them capitulate and sell him to us "on the cheap" yet again.

Obviously I hope, and expect that we will sign the kid, but taking a more nebulous view, it gives me a wry smile to see a small club give it to FSG, right up their Yankee shitter.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fucking hell.

They could be as there’s clearly a working relationship between the clubs but I think it’s as simple as this. Romeo Lavia is worth £40m to Southampton next season if City re-sign him. If they sell him this season he’s worth £48m to them as they will have to give 20% of that fee to City. So maybe they figure a few extra million on top is due consideration seeing as they have what I assume are assurances from City that they’ll come in next season. Liverpool will know this but we’re trying to be clever bollocks and get a good deal. 

12 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fucking hell.

Maybe the lad or his agent haven't worked as well behind the scenes to get a deal done? 

And to be fair the livaremento deal is deal if the fucking century for Southampton 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As you know, the signing he was told about hasn't happened. He wouldn't always be told, or not in that manner, it was only because it was the off-season still. Now the players are back, he's there more often. 

Think you read it the wrong way, or I wasn't clear - fully believe that someone close to the club has been told we will bring another player in.

27 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

To be honest mate, I don't blame Southampton in the slightest; we've taken the piss out of them for years now with several transfers and it seems that now they've decided to take a stance.

Lavia is their player and they set the price, but once again we go in and arrogantly low ball them and expect them capitulate and sell him to us "on the cheap" yet again.

Obviously I hope, and expect that we will sign the kid, but taking a more nebulous view, it gives me a wry smile to see a small club give it to FSG, right up their Yankee shitter.

Just you wait until Friday when we go back with the additional offer of a bag of bibs, £7.50 to be paid in 5  £1.50 instalments and a 10 pack of potato waffles.

44 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

I imagine all this ITK bull is usually people who work at Anfield and have certain roles to carry out when a player is being signed hence the ‘I can’t tell you who but..’ I remember David Johnson was the legend on our stadium tour and he was telling us some transfer stuff he’d heard on the grapevine and it was fairly obvious the players are as clueless as the rest of us. So why would the guy who polishes the leaning spots at Melwood know Jack shit?

It happens, people at the club talk. 

I used to be the clubs telecoms manager for one of their partners for a number of years (we worked with both club staff and players) and we used to occasionally hear about signings by name directly from people at the club who trusted us.

Plus we’d need to sort the players phones and get them everything they need ready, ahead of the player arriving to have their medical. 

Sometimes we’d be told of the players name in advance, sometimes we wouldn’t. 

16 minutes ago, Juniper said:

It happens, people at the club talk. 

I used to be the clubs telecoms manager for one of their partners for a number of years (we worked with both club staff and players) and we used to occasionally hear about signings by name directly from people at the club who trusted us.

Plus we’d need to sort the players phones and get them everything they need ready, ahead of the player arriving to have their medical. 

Sometimes we’d be told of the players name in advance, sometimes we wouldn’t. 

Thanks for finally taking off your mask, Indy Kaila. I've been admirer for a few years now. 

7 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

What an insane thing to slam our owners for!

FSG definitely need to buy a midfielder and a defender this window, no question. However, if we had bought Ward Prowse for 30m I would be livid.

What a shambles West Ham's transfers have been this summer. 60m for Maguire and Ward Prowse? Imagine the shock their fans are in for when they go from Rice to Ward Prowse!

Where did I say we should sign Ward Prouse ? What I am saying is we have been fannying about for 3 weeks bidding way below the asking price. If we want him offer the asking price or move on.