You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Just now, Scott_M said:

I see some guy called Sam McGuire on Twitter (I don’t follow him, seeing a lot of retweets, he seems have a lot of LFC followers) strongly hinting Klopp a taking a closer role and not agreeing to the players being proposed to him. 

It came from Paul Joyce via one of those shit Liverpool news aggregate accounts.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It came from Paul Joyce via one of those shit Liverpool news aggregate accounts.

Given the rare criticism of Klopp is his possible over loyalty to players, would it surprise you if Klopp was saying no to recommendations?

It wouldn’t surprise me. Him and Lijnders have been clear it’s first choice or nothing. 

Just now, TD_LFC said:

Newcastle appointed the Dan Ashworth.

Ward going back to work for Edwards anywhere would feel like a backwards step.

A backwards step for a few million more a year might be an attractive one. You’re probably right though. 

I did read about the Dan Ashworth appointment, obviously the information didn’t stick. Won’t be Newcastle then. 

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Given the rare criticism of Klopp is his possible over loyalty to players, would it surprise you if Klopp was saying no to recommendations?

It wouldn’t surprise me. Him and Lijnders have been clear it’s first choice or nothing. 

Not touching that!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I see some guy called Sam McGuire on Twitter (I don’t follow him, seeing a lot of retweets, he seems have a lot of LFC followers) strongly hinting Klopp a taking a closer role and not agreeing to the players being proposed to him. 

Jurgen talking up the need to now sign proven quality now, the owners seemingly acknowledging the need for proper investment. Certainly feels like the way we operate will be changing. 

Even if Jurgen does take a more hands on role though, surely they would need someone else to do the negotiating stuff. If so, timing feels a bit unfortunate with two good guys going to Chelsea.

For example, there were some within the ranks who had reservations earlier this year about Darwin Nunez's suitability for Liverpool.

The Uruguayan striker was making a name for himself at Benfica during a 34-goal campaign last term, but it was only when Klopp and his analysis team studied the powerful frontman further ahead of the Champions League tie in April did the club think seriously about a move.

The manager was said to have been so enamoured by Nunez in those analysis meetings that Liverpool's recruitment department were asked to try and bring him to Anfield. That, during the peak years of Michael Edwards's spectacular stint as sporting director, was unlikely to have been a regular occurrence.

Klopp's going full Palpatine.

34 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Not touching that!!!

I’m thinking out loud here…

The recruitment team give Klopp a list of midfielders last summer. Bellingham and Touchameni come out the best suited, but also the most expensive.

The other players are in the c.£40m bracket (Nunes, Neves etc) Klopp doesn’t think they are as good or as much of a sure thing.

Do we take more of a risk with the cheaper players or hold out for the best suited / more costly players? 

From the mumblings in the above quotes from journalists about Klopp being more active / having greater influence, Klopp & Lijnders comment about 1st choice targets and Klopp’s comments about we need to be more risk adverse in spending more money, it wouldn’t surprise me if Klopp is wanting the extra money for his #1 / more expensive target and isn’t backing down.

As I said, that’s only me thinking out loud, it’s only my opinion based on the small pieces I’ve read and very well might be 2 + 2 = 12ty. 

If the above is the case (and I fully appreciate it might not be, ie likely isn’t!) then I can see where frustrations with working relationships could come. I don’t necessarily think either approach is wrong (ie be more risk adverse with signings (not 1st choice) or be more risk adverse with money). If Klopp has got his way, maybe we’ll do more of the latter.

Anyway, looking forward to this post being ripped apart!

14 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m thinking out loud here…

The recruitment team give Klopp a list of midfielders last summer. Bellingham and Touchameni come out the best suited, but also the most expensive.

The other players are in the c.£40m bracket (Nunes, Neves etc) Klopp doesn’t think they are as good or as much of a sure thing.

Do we take more of a risk with the cheaper players or hold out for the best suited / more costly players? 

From the mumblings in the above quotes from journalists about Klopp being more active / having greater influence, Klopp & Lijnders comment about 1st choice targets and Klopp’s comments about we need to be more risk adverse in spending more money, it wouldn’t surprise me if Klopp is wanting the extra money for his #1 / more expensive target and isn’t backing down.

As I said, that’s only me thinking out loud, it’s only my opinion based on the small pieces I’ve read and very well might be 2 + 2 = 12ty. 

If the above is the case (and I fully appreciate it might not be, ie likely isn’t!) then I can see where frustrations with working relationships could come. I don’t necessarily think either approach is wrong (ie be more risk adverse with signings (not 1st choice) or be more risk adverse with money). If Klopp has got his way, maybe we’ll do more of the latter.

Anyway, looking forward to this post being ripped apart!

I could see there being some truth in that. He spoke about them being less risk averse and within a few months they are talking about the need for investment and a different approach. 

The bit I don't get though is if FSG are willing to back that new approach and get the money to enable it then wouldn't that make Ward and Graham's jobs easier?!

I mean I can see them falling out in the summer if they were recommending cheaper players ( because they had to work to a budget) and Jürgen wouldn't budge on it being say Barella, Bellingham etc but if that money is arriving why go? 

Unless Jürgen just doesn't rate them. However even that feels a bit weird. 7 years in and he decides he doesn't rate the recruitment guys? Could be true I suppose. All a bit odd. 

Also wonder why the announcement has come now. Graham handed his notice in during June and they sat on that until today. Ward is staying until the end of the season. Why not sit on both bits of news until the new year once the window has closed? What is the need to do it now? Our transfer targets probably don't care about the club doctor, sporting director, Mike Gordon or head of research but they MAY think twice if it sounds like we are in turmoil. 

For a club that prides itself on keeping things in house and with results on the pitch not being great it all feels unnecessary to do it now unless bigger announcements are about to come out. 

12 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I could see there being some truth in that. He spoke about them being less risk averse and within a few months they are talking about the need for investment and a different approach. 

The bit I don't get though is if FSG are willing to back that new approach and get the money to enable it then wouldn't that make Ward and Graham's jobs easier?!

Klopp has said he'll wait until the money is there, ie January after CL qualification.

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Klopp has said he'll wait until the money is there, ie January after CL qualification.

Sorry, probably being slow, Klopp has said what? That he would wait until this Jan after we got the money from getting out of the group? 

3 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Sorry, probably being slow, Klopp has said what? That he would wait until this Jan after we got the money from getting out of the group? 

For his first choice.

We couldn’t afford his first choice(s) in the summer (ie the risk adverse comment),  he didn’t want players he didn’t perceive to be as good, Klopp has decided to wait until January or next summer so he can afford the players he wants. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

For his first choice.

We couldn’t afford his first choice(s) in the summer (ie the risk adverse comment),  he didn’t want players he didn’t perceive to be as good, Klopp has decided to wait until January or next summer so he can afford the players he wants. 

Peddling lies on a daily basis.

1 minute ago, Grinch said:

Peddling lies on a daily basis.

Who? Me? I noticed your snide comment the other day and ignored it. 

As I very fucking clearly said earlier in thread, that post was my opinion and nothing more. 

FYI, Klopp publicly said we didn’t need a midfielder, Lijnders has it in print we only go after 1st choice, Klopp then said we did need a midfielder.

All those are factual comments. The bits in between are my opinion, which was very clear. 

Agree or disagree. I don’t give a shit. To say I post lies, is untrue.