You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

18 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

May well not be but do you honestly think it’s a good idea to caricature Mandelson as a rat?  

When you say "may well not be" I assume you mean "very obviously isn't".

How about characterising Starmer as a cardboard box? Is that racist?

9 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

It’s a bit of a different game in a commons committee meeting compared to the House.

She doesn’t have half the house shouting ridicule over everything she says.

Far from being a leader of the opposition. 

I think she could handle that. Starmer hasn’t had it until recently. She’s cold and calculating. 

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

No I don’t mean that …at all. I’m giving the fella the benefit of the doubt. If you think a left wing cartoonist portraying  Mandelson as a rat is not a very stupid thing to do then you’re even more ridiculously one eyed than even I think you are.

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

I know, there must be somebody who could at least secure a hung parliament and then work towards some kind of coalition. TBH I don’t care who the Govt is so long as it’s not the Conservatives.

They should be striking up allegiances with the Lib Dem’s/Greens and do it as a collective. We all want the same thing and that’s those cunts out of power for a long, long, long time.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I wonder had Labour passed a motion this week banning goods from illegal Israeli settlements if they would be getting called anti-Semitic again ? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

They should be striking up allegiances with the Lib Dem’s/Greens and do it as a collective. We all want the same thing and that’s those cunts out of power for a long, long, long time.

Agree here fully mate.  All 3 should band together and fight against the common enemy. 

5BCDD529-40AF-41AC-B419-93E5AD81E388.png

• Upvote 1

Just now, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Isn’t Starmer considered the same? 

Considered …. 

I don’t think he’s been too bad in parliament to be honest. Some weeks he’s been very good. It’s the lack of follow through and the other shit that’s ruining him 

This is just a royal and avoidable fuck up all round.

Starmer and Evens for trying to push this pointless deck chair arranging through and ‘the left’ with their vote to unseat Evens.

This should have been when Starmer walked in up in the polls and the Tories on the ropes, but no, complete clusterfuck all round.

Bravo, all. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is just a royal and avoidable fuck up all round.

Starmer and Evens for trying to push this pointless deck chair arranging through and ‘the left’ with their vote to unseat Evens.

This should have been when Starmer walked in up in the polls and the Tories on the ropes, but no, complete clusterfuck all round.

Bravo, all. 

Labours’ gonna Labour

27 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

May well not be but do you honestly think it’s a good idea to caricature Mandelson as a rat?  

I just had to check Mandelson's entry on Wikipedia. Apparently, his dad was Jewish, but there's no mention of Mandelson himself being raised in any particular faith or expressing any religious belief as an adult. (He keeps his private life private, which is fair enough.)

That cartoon doesn't depict him as just "a rat": it shows him as the rat in Ratatouille, who controls the star of the show. Mandelson's New Labour career was all about influencing things behind the scenes, while Blair & Brown were leaders, and now Starmer has invited him back to do it again.

To get from the obvious point of that cartoon to an accusation of racism takes a giant leap beyond credibility. Fortunately, Stronts is the kind of athlete who is up to that challenge.

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I just had to check Mandelson's entry on Wikipedia. Apparently, his dad was Jewish, but there's no mention of Mandelson himself being raised in any particular faith or expressing any religious belief as an adult. (He keeps his private life private, which is fair enough.)

That cartoon doesn't depict him as just "a rat": it shows him as the rat in Ratatouille, who controls the star of the show. Mandelson's New Labour career was all about influencing things behind the scenes, while Blair & Brown were leaders, and now Starmer has invited him back to do it again.

To get from the obvious point of that cartoon to an accusation of racism takes a giant leap beyond credibility. Fortunately, Stronts is the kind of athlete who is up to that challenge.

So when a gangster calls someone a rat now for grassing them.up now they are actually being anti semitic?

You learn something new every day.

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I give up and I’m not wasting anymore time debating a quite obviously stupid thing to do, trying to persuade you a left winger has done something stupid or wrong is akin to knitting fog. I’ve genuinely better things to do with my day.

I think the fundamental problem facing labour is the same as other parties around the western world, the world has changed so much and so quickly that it hasn't got a clue who its typical supporters are. 

The right is sort of in the same boat if you look at how the traditional Tories saw the likes of UKIP coming up on their flank, but dealt with it by basically hiring a liar and trying to become all things to all right wing loons.

Now what remains of the non right electorate are divided, they're not united by class, by jobs, by world view.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I give up and I’m not wasting anymore time debating a quite obviously stupid thing to do, trying to persuade you a left winger has done something stupid or wrong is akin to knitting fog. I’ve genuinely better things to do with my day.

Do you think it's anti-Semitic?

If so, why?

27 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Can't deny that I'm bitterly disappointed in Starmer... thought he'd be better

Who next? Only candidate I can think of is Andy Burnham but he'd have to get elected an MP first and give up Manc

The problem isn’t the candidate it’s the party.

You’re never going to please all the people. A clean break was needed, for the larger electorate, from Corbyn and the myths, lies and sad truths associated with him, but you’re never going to satisfy his support as nobody will ever be as good as him as he’s a projection of their ideals. They won’t accept Reeves, Cooper, Burnham or any other ‘neoliberal shills’ as they’re too hackneyed to see the bigger picture.

Same goes for the others they will never concede that there is groundswell for progressive policies within the membership, that needs to be much better at actually spelling it out in a grown up way and not sixth form posturing.

The bigger problem is in the decimation at the last election reducing the talent pool significantly at the same time momentum pushed their successfully elected MP’s who are in the main young, naive and green.

Just an all round embarrassment.

My wife’s grandmother, 80 odd years old, life long member and activist is working with a group of others trying to deselect their candidate as he’s ‘not like Jeremy’ that’s represented up and down the land and frankly it’s fucking absurd. 

There’s having ownership and then there’s having entitlement.

10 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Do you think it's anti-Semitic?

If so, why?

I never said it was anti Semitic I said it was stupid and it’s stupid because it invites the accusation which is the last thing the left need right now. The left as you know have a slightly dodgy reputation with the Jewish community. For a left wing cartoonist to then portray a person of Jewish descent as a rat, a comparison infamously created by the Geobbels propaganda films is very, very stupid. Does this really need explaining?