You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

The 'red wall' won't stay Tory, definitely not if Johnson is gone. The likes of UKIP had been eating into Labour's vote in some northern areas for some time and Johnson's Tories pumped it with steds and gobbled it up,  that argument is now won/lost (depending on your viewpoint) but regardless, the battle for those people is over. 

Labour needs to win over - dare I say it - middle England. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The 'red wall' won't stay Tory, definitely not if Johnson is gone. The likes of UKIP had been eating into Labour's vote in some northern areas for some time and Johnson's Tories pumped it with steds and gobbled it up,  that argument is now won/lost (depending on your viewpoint) but regardless, the battle for those people is over. 

With the non aggression pact with the Lib Dems its a numbers game and Labour might not need to lean too hard in to ‘Mondeo Man’.

The Lib Dems will pick up the slack in middle England, Labour will, try to, reposition itself as the party of the working people, a very broad church. 

It might work, it might not, but if it doesn’t we’re Tory country for the rest of ours and our childrens days unless something revolutionary happens.

59 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Labour lost most votes from its so called core vote, disengaged working class voters moved to get Conservatives, recent polls show more nurses intend to vote tory than Labour for the first time in history, Labours Muslim vote is also decreasing.

The NHS employs 1.4 million, the Muslim vote is huge. Labour need to be very careful regarding their core vote, as Scotland proves, once they go they are not easy to win back,

https://nursingnotes.co.uk/news/politics/two-in-five-healthcare-workers-vote-conservative-in-local-elections/

Edit; those looking to lurch to the right at the expense of the core working class vote; the quick demise of change uk should issue a warning.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Labour lost most votes from its so called core vote, disengaged working class voters moved to get Conservatives, recent polls show more nurses intend to vote tory than Labour for the first time in history, Labours Muslim vote is also decreasing.

This beggars belief. They are aware that the cunts currently in charge are responsible for the conditions they are working under?

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I think discipline over policy is key. The last manifesto was an sprawling incoherent wish list.

Any party needs a few simple policies focussed on what people actually care about.

This is an actual pledge from the last Labour manifesto

“Conduct an audit of the impact of Britain’s colonial legacy to understand our contribution to the dynamics of violence and insecurity across regions previously under British colonial rule”  

Try selling that as an idea on the doorstep

Just now, Captain Willard said:

I think discipline over policy is key. The last manifesto was an sprawling incoherent wish list. Fewer simpler policies focussed on what people actually care about. 

You can all but guarantee it will much less sprawling than the last. Starmer criticised it for that a number of times. 

9 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

That's what gets me, why would anybody working for the NHS vote Tory? For fucks sake, I give up!

If the data shows you losing the nurses vote for the first time in history it might be wise if the Labour leader didn't put the NHS a notch below Nato, as Starmer appears to do in the very first paragraph of his recent article in the guardian..

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/10/labour-nato-british-left-ukraine-keir-starmer

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I'm not so sure, the disenfranchisement began under new Labour and starmer is the 2022 version

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

The percentage of the vote went down year on year. I think he got out at the right time. He also benefitted from a sympathetic right wing press.

Might have had a little something to do with the wars, and the fact that he was never in a million years going to get the kind of vote he got in 1997. New Labour’s policies were generally well received. They did a lot of good, which is why the wars and some strange authoritarian shit didn’t immediately push them back out. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Might have had a little something to do with the wars, and the fact that he was never in a million years going to get the kind of vote he got in 1997. New Labour’s policies were generally well received. They did a lot of good, which is why the wars and some strange authoritarian shit didn’t immediately push them back out. 

I agree, and much like Blair's Labour, I'd rather have a Starmer government than the fucking idiot in charge at the moment.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

With the non aggression pact with the Lib Dems its a numbers game and Labour might not need to lean too hard in to ‘Mondeo Man’.

I was only just reading about this. It's the sort of sensible policy that a Corbyn-led Labour Party would never have contemplated.

8 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I was only just reading about this. It's the sort of sensible policy that a Corbyn-led Labour Party would never have contemplated.

Already in place apparently.

Libs take the Home Counties, Labour take the north and the cities, split the difference and bring the SNP in and you have a working majority.

What the fuck that actually means in practice  though is anybody’s guess?

PR and further devolution for a start and a promise that they’ll never be a Tory government like this ever, ever again might placate the hordes and stop another indyref.

Critical juncture in Blighty’s existence.

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I might be wrong, but I think the previous aggression was a little one sided...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jo-swinson-corbyn-general-election-brexit-referendum-coalition-a9185896.html

Moving forward though, I think it's the kind of cooperative politics that will hopefully pave the way for some form of PR.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Rushies tash said:

I might be wrong, but I think the previous aggression was a little one sided...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jo-swinson-corbyn-general-election-brexit-referendum-coalition-a9185896.html

Moving forward though, I think it's the kind of cooperative politics that will hopefully pave the way for some form of PR.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/23/jo-swinson-rules-out-lib-dem-pact-with-labour-under-jeremy-corbyn

Stronts must've had that week off.

• Upvote 1