You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

People saying chelsea saved money during their transfer ban. They still signed players and we give ourselves a self imposed transfer ban every opportunity we get. We've more partners than Hugh hefner had, the most successful club of the last two seasons, insane TV money and klopp saying essentially we can improve but can't afford too. Moores 2.0

• Upvote 3

I'd love to know where the money is going.   All season they've been leaking how much of a financial juggernaut we've becoming, quickly catching up with the Mancs. 

Fast forward to the transfer window and we're acting paupers again, the usual under fsg, fucking Bournemouth and Everton spend more. 

Look forward to the window closing and people fantasising about Mbappe again. 

I dunno, it’s not as cut and dry as that. A bad season can set you back years, look how close Spurs were compared to now. We should always scrutinise the major decisions they make otherwise we end up with even more expensive tickets and a furloughed club staff.

I don’t for one minute believe we would have had a quiet summer regardless but it is a bit shit that they won’t look to alternative means to fund us but it’s understandable. The mingebags.

Guest Pistonbroke
2 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Chelsea trying to buy every cunt in the universe.

It won't matter, if they keep Lampard as boss then they'll still be too inconsistent IMO. Same applies to the red mancs in keeping Soksjaer in charge and to some extent City with Pep who has shown vulnerabilities this season. If they are bringing in so many new players they'll have to Gel and will start in front of empty stadiums without any normal pre-season get together's. 

Until United and Chelsea have both a top class manager and a proper spine in their team it won’t matter who they sign. Havertz won’t transform them he’s far more likely to struggle at them than he would at us. It wasn’t until we had a world class  manager and a world class goalie and A world class defender that the rest of the team could hang at the elite level. It’ll be the same for them but harder because there’s only a small selection of managers who can do what we do.

My concern is we have the greatest manager of his generation and we aren't going to take advantage whilst he is here. It's hard to write anything about the subject without sounding like a drama quim, I'm relaxed I just wish we could occasionally be like all the other top clubs in the world and speculate a bit now and then, when the team needs it and not flogging our best players to do it.

This side will go stale as others keep pushing on. For all the talk of Ferguson building side after side its bollocks he just went out every summer and bought the best player or two he could often from rivals in the league. how many times have we seen the club fail to strike while the irons hot. You'll make your money back FSG by a long shot. Klopp is just exceptional, If he really wanted Werner we should of signed him, he's earnt that trust. He's turned most of our players into far more valuable ones. Edwards was a dick till klopp turned up.

Again that all sounds quimish, but it does get weary being the skint club all the time bullshit transfer sagas until another club just comes in and takes over, while they're constantly slapping each other on the back over new partners and the clubs value. 

• Upvote 6

17 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Sounds like an additional 25-30mil for Alaba.

I think Alaba is trying to secure himself a better contract. I read the other day he wants to be Bayern’s best paid player based on the fact he’s equally good at centre back, left back & in midfield.

IMO its a bit of “Gimme what I want or sell me somewhere that will”. 

24 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

My concern is we have the greatest manager of his generation and we aren't going to take advantage whilst he is here. It's hard to write anything about the subject without sounding like a drama quim, I'm relaxed I just wish we could occasionally be like all the other top clubs in the world and speculate a bit now and then, when the team needs it and not flogging our best players to do it.

I agree. I’d like a few reinforcements & I wanted them last season as well.

Just because I’d like them doesn’t mean I’m so wound by it I go on & on about it in multiple threads.

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I agree. I’d like a few reinforcements & I wanted them last season as well.

Just because I’d like them doesn’t mean I’m so wound by it I go on & on about it in multiple threads.

Check out the Steve Mcmahon thread for more of my musings on FSG being risk averse.

Wonder what FSG think of the stadium redevelopment in light of FFP not being serious now.

The idea was to make money off fans and corporates to then put back into the team.  But obviously they could save money on that outlay now.

That said, it's capital, and it's likely that they have capital to burn, it's not the same beast as revenue.  So will they go ahead with it, try to build the stadium so it adds to the value of the club?  Might we even float on the stock market? 

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Wonder what FSG think of the stadium redevelopment in light of FFP not being serious now.

The idea was to make money off fans and corporates to then put back into the team.  But obviously they could save money on that outlay now.

That said, it's capital, and it's likely that they have capital to burn, it's not the same beast as revenue.  So will they go ahead with it, try to build the stadium so it adds to the value of the club?  Might we even float on the stock market? 

Pissing away millions on signing Philip Billing is not going to do much to get bums on seats, improve the team or increase the value of the club, that's for damned sure!

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

This side will go stale as others keep pushing on. For all the talk of Ferguson building side after side its bollocks he just went out every summer and bought the best player or two he could often from rivals in the league. how many times have we seen the club fail to strike while the irons hot. You'll make your money back FSG by a long shot. Klopp is just exceptional, If he really wanted Werner we should of signed him, he's earnt that trust. He's turned most of our players into far more valuable ones. Edwards was a dick till klopp turned up.

Again that all sounds quimish, but it does get weary being the skint club all the time bullshit transfer sagas until another club just comes in and takes over, while they're constantly slapping each other on the back over new partners and the clubs value. 

Good post. Your point about Klopp being a once in a generation is spot on we need to dominate for next four years.  Werner would have been a luxury, a nice to have, not a necessity however when your manager identifies a weakness in the squad and a potential addition you back him simple as. It is only adding to the future value of LFC if we remain on the perch.

On 20/07/2020 at 11:38, Doctor Troy said:

Saw an article the other day saying he was happy with his role as a super sub player. He isnt on massive wages either so shows a lack of desire/ambition on his part. Could understand him not wanting to leave if he had to take a massive pay cut. 

What money is he on? I thought we gave him a massive contract when we renewed his deal. 

7 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So, how much prize money is it for winning the Prem?

Ok so last year we pocketed £152 million for coming second and the pot has increased this year. So say we get £150 again, surely we can spend some of it?

The prize money is based off the TV money isn't it? So that's going to be reduced, so I reckon there's every chance we won't get our full hit. 

41 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

So, how much prize money is it for winning the Prem?

Ok so last year we pocketed £152 million for coming second and the pot has increased this year. So say we get £150 again, surely we can spend some of it?

It was supposed to go up slightly to just under 170m but whatever we have to pay back is around £25-£30m. The CL money went up a bit but we went out fairly early. Thing is, the clubs who are left it it will have a reduced income with all the QF games being played in Portugal and probably lower viewing figures. 

8 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

It was supposed to go up slightly to just under 170m but whatever we have to pay back is around £25-£30m. The CL money went up a bit but we went out fairly early. Thing is, the clubs who are left it it will have a reduced income with all the QF games being played in Portugal and probably lower viewing figures. 

But still...its not chunk change is it? Throw in the CL win too last year, we must have earned nearly 400 million in 2 seasons? Actually just seen the number 111 million euros.

FFS