You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2020 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

That's what we did last summer, well except for the upgrades bit. 

I trust the current set up to get more signings right then not these days. We should also have a lot more money to spend after not spending much this summer and the CL win and various competitions we are in due to that, new kit deal etc. Klopp has always been a man of his words so far in his career and I fully expect him to move on once he has honoured his contract until 2022, he'll want to leave with the club in a healthy state on the pitch and add to our silverware haul. When it comes to signings he plans a few years ahead. 

Watched the game back yesterday, without the anxiety about dropping points and blaming said anxiety on the mere presence of Lalanna in our team, he actually played well. He counter pressed a good few times and won us the ball back in recent positions. 

Keeping him beyond May is a no no but I can't see the sense in reducing the squad size when it's arguably too small already.

I wonder who we’re gonna bring in to replace Lovren (whether in Jan or in the summer). Matip seems to be first choice now. It looks to me like Klopp sees Gomez as the future, but he doesn’t quite trust him as yet to play at CB in important games. It’s interesting, you don’t want to block Gomez’s development but you want someone that you know is able to perform at the highest level on a regular basis. Alderweireld would be perfect IMO.

We probably only need him for a couple of years, until Klopp deems Gomez ready. The sign on fee wouldn’t be higher than the transfer fee required for players of similar quality IMO. What sort of profile should we be looking at then? Nathan Aké? Or Mings?

2 hours ago, viRdjil said:

We probably only need him for a couple of years, until Klopp deems Gomez ready. The sign on fee wouldn’t be higher than the transfer fee required for players of similar quality IMO. What sort of profile should we be looking at then? Nathan Aké? Or Mings?

Ake or Mings would be great. Rated Ake for a while but Mings has looked excellent lately. Neither get in ahed of a fit Matip right now but both have the potential to get better. I'd imagine either of them would love to play alongside VVD. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Ake or Mings would be great. Rated Ake for a while but Mings has looked excellent lately. Neither get in ahed of a fit Matip right now but both have the potential to get better. I'd imagine either of them would love to play alongside VVD. 

Yeah Aké comes with the bonus of being a capable LB too.

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Other than maybe Juventus I don't see him walking into a side that could pay him 200k a week.

The mancs will for a start, PSG, Inter and Barcelona may well too. He's on free I reckon plenty of clubs would

6 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The mancs will for a start, PSG, Inter and Barcelona may well too. He's on free I reckon plenty of clubs would

Well we were talking about teams he would be a starter for who could afford to pay him. Don't think City would be in for him - maybe United. Ypu also may be overestimating what a team like Inter or even Barca would pay a defender.

He is going to get paid more than Pique??