You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tribute Bands

Bjornebye

Seen some boss ones over the years. Without a doubt the best I've seen are Fleetingwood Mac. I kind of know the lead singer as well, she is sound as fuck. mesmerising seeing them live. 

Got two press pass tickets to see the Illegal Eagles on Wednesday in the Empire. Taking me Dad to it. Cant wait 

Seen 'From the Jam' a few times. Bruce Foxton plays in them as well. They are boss. The Smyths are another decent tribute band. 

Was in 5 Mill Lane last night in West Derby, they had a singer on doing Brit Pop tracks. The sound was awful to be fair but he was a decent bloke. 

Not knocking tribute bands by any means, but they’re not for me. I’d much rather see an up and coming artist than someone pretending to be someone else.

I believe some of these bands are talented musicians and performers, but it all seems so uninspiring to me. Also, I’ve usually got zero interest in the bands they’re paying tribute to. 

• Upvote 8

Never seen a tribute band, apart from a woeful Take That one at an old work's do. 

Some lad I know was at a festival this weekend which is exclusively for rock tribute bands. Rockfest, I think it was called. He goes to one called Festwich too. I think they're both ticketed but free entry events. He raves about them and, to be fair, always appears to have a good laugh at them, going from the pictures he posts on Facebook and that. 

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

Not knocking tribute bands by any means, but they’re not for me. I’d much rather see an up and coming artist than someone pretending to be someone else.

I believe some of these bands are talented musicians and performers, but it all seems so uninspiring to me. Also, I’ve usually got zero interest in the bands they’re paying tribute to. 

I kind of get that and thats fair enough, Ive seen shit loads of boss bands in the flesh but this is a thread for tribute bands so go and fuck yourself 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I kind of get that and thats fair enough, Ive seen shit loads of boss bands in the flesh but this is a thread for tribute bands so go and fuck yourself 

Behave Stig. Paul just wants to get his marker pen out and write "Killjoy was here" on the wall. 

I'm gutted to have passed up the chance to see Earth Wind for Hire at Glastonbury one year, on account of the fact that I was out of my mind on drugs.

• Upvote 1

Not particularly bothered either way about tribute bands. I've seen a Rod Stewart one and the bloke looked a right prick and obviously led his life obsessed as if he was actually the cockney scottish tight fisted gravel voiced warbler.

5 minutes ago, A Red said:

Not particularly bothered either way about tribute bands. I've seen a Rod Stewart one and the bloke looked a right prick and obviously led his life obsessed as if he was actually the cockney scottish tight fisted gravel voiced warbler.

I wonder why you feel that way about him. 

rod-stewart.gif

I'm with Paul, they're just not for me.  Although some of the bands I'm into sound like tribute acts.  Deaf Wish sound exactly like early Sonic Youth, LVL UP sounded like a Pavement tribute act and so on.  But the material is still original and I kind of like the way those bands unashamedly attempted to mimic the sound of the bands who inspired them. 

I’m not really a fan of tribute acts. They’re something I’d only bother with if going to see the real thing isn’t possible. For example, I’ve seen and enjoyed The Backbeat Beatles but wouldn’t bother with a Fleetwood Mac tribute, regardless of how good they are, because it’s still possible to watch Nicks and Mick Fleetwood.