You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The BBC

Dougie Do'ins

10 hours ago, SasaS said:

Having publicly owned influential media is more important and ultimately beneficial than public ownership of utilities, you don't have to publicly own electricity suppliers to get electricity. When a good public broadcaster has a dominant or a significant position in the media landscape, it also influences other media, by setting and maintaining standards. Media will in the future be even more fragmented and under ever increasing financial pressure, due to technological change, so already established public broadcaster will be a huge asset for any society.  

On the best in the world comment, BBC has generally been considered the best in the world in its category by media professionals across nations. People in Britain seem to think that the NHS is "the envy of the world", even though nobody outside the UK knows or cares about it, since they have similar or better healthcare systems. It's the BBC that people are envious of. Protect it, develop it and cherish it.

You never mentioned publicly owned versus nationalised, you said it was more important than utilities, which is bollocks.

all this best of British stuff is also bollocks! Remnants of empire, well of course everyone knows the British legal system is the best in the world, the British political system is the best in the world, the British Broadcasting Corporation is best in the world..... except they’re not, they may once have been, but they have been systematically trashed over year, just like the NHS.

I'm talking about perception of what people perceive as an achievement in development, relative to where other countries are, not about the absolute importance. Healthcare is obviously more important than having a license-funded broadcaster or not. As I explained.

I've never seen any Spanish programming, never heard anybody praise Spanish TV.

“I’ve never been to Spain, so obviously I can say it’s shit and be right”

People in Britain seem to think that the NHS is "the envy of the world", even though nobody outside the UK knows or cares about it, since they have similar or better healthcare systems. It's the BBC that people are envious of. Protect it, develop it and cherish it.

I doubt very much the those who cant afford health insurance in the USA for example think they have a better healthcare system than us. It's head and shoulder above Obama Care. What about third world countries ? The NHS is far from ideal but we should fight tooth and nail to preserve it and there's no way it's unknown globally.

As for the BBC. No way do people think of the it like you say. It's best content is cherry picked by those countries that can afford it. The basis on which it was originally formed has long been lost. It's got to big for it's boots and those responsible for it refuse to admit it's now a small fish in an ever growing bigger pond. Some of the the salaries it pays the likes of Zoe Ball, Gary Lineker, are fucking ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jim Spartacus said:

You never mentioned publicly owned versus nationalised, you said it was more important than utilities, which is bollocks.

all this best of British stuff is also bollocks! Remnants of empire, well of course everyone knows the British legal system is the best in the world, the British political system is the best in the world, the British Broadcasting Corporation is best in the world..... except they’re not, they may once have been, but they have been systematically trashed over year, just like the NHS.

I probably did. You just read it without context.

I'm sorry if the fact the BBC has been considered the best public broadcaster or thereabouts in the world makes you angry, I would think that'd be a good thing.  

You forgot British universities, according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2017, out of the top 11 universities in Europe (10th place was a tie), 7 were based in the UK.

10 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Correct on healthcare. They haven't started privatising theirs. Autonomous regions having actual power and funds helps.

Spanish TV is slightly better than ours and there is no license fee. Plenty of documentaries, sport on free channels, etc.

They have shite just as we do, also on channel 5 as it happens.

Ive heard the Portuguese and French Healthcare systems are good too. Wasnt France voted the best in the world in recent years? How will this Brexit bollocks affect UK travellers who have to use them? I hope they ask if they voted Yes or No to Brexit and if they say Yes then leave them on a trolley in the Car Park.

4 minutes ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

I doubt very much the those who cant afford health insurance in the USA for example think they have a better healthcare system than us. It's head and shoulder above Obama Care. What about third world countries ? The NHS is far from ideal but we should fight tooth and nail to preserve it and there's no way it's unknown globally.

As for the BBC. No way do people think of the it like you say. It's best content is cherry picked by those countries that can afford it. The basis on which it was originally formed has long been lost. It's got to big for it's boots and those responsible for it refuse to admit it's now a small fish in an ever growing bigger pond. Some of the the salaries it pays the likes of Zoe Ball, Gary Lineker, are fucking ridiculous.

I was clearly talking about European countries and health care (again, I think I may have mentioned it). BTW, that's another typically British thing, constantly comparing the NHS only with flawed American healthcare system, rather than the rest of Europe.

Ok, I'm done now defending the BBC, I only replied because I was pulled up on an old post.  I don't pay for it, at least not directly, many of you clearly hate it,  I don't get it, but, hey, it's yours to do what you please with it.  

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

I probably did. You just read it without context.

I'm sorry if the fact the BBC has been considered the best public broadcaster or thereabouts in the world makes you angry, I would think that'd be a good thing.  

You forgot British universities, according to the Times Higher Education World University Rankings for 2017, out of the top 11 universities in Europe (10th place was a tie), 7 were based in the UK.

You fucking didn’t, I quoted you yer cabbage.

Universities - ah did I mention them?? No I didn’t, why? Well the Top Universities have to be kept up to standard - the rulers of the lands progeny continue to need education, plus all that lovely money from overseas royalty. I dare say at the lower end of the scale the education sector is also in trouble, especially where people are having to fork out hard cash for beauty courses or shit that used to be an apprenticeship.

the fact that the BBC was once world class doesn’t make me angry, the fact that the domestic output has gone to shit in the last 15 or so years makes me angry.

ive lived away for 12 years, I used to download shitloads from the BBC to watch, it came to a dribble over the last few years, the odd match of the day or have I got news for you, but they have both pretty much gone down the nick, match of the day compared to modern footy coverage is bollocks.

frankie Boyle getting let off the leash a few times a year to prove independence is hardly worth the license fee.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Jim Spartacus said:

You fucking didn’t, I quoted you yer cabbage.

Universities - ah did I mention them?? No I didn’t, why? Well the Top Universities have to be kept up to standard - the rulers of the lands progeny continue to need education, plus all that lovely money from overseas royalty. I dare say at the lower end of the scale the education sector is also in trouble, especially where people are having to fork out hard cash for beauty courses or shit that used to be an apprenticeship.

the fact that the BBC was once world class doesn’t make me angry, the fact that the domestic output has gone to shit in the last 15 or so years makes me angry.

ive lived away for 12 years, I used to download shitloads from the BBC to watch, it came to a dribble over the last few years, the odd match of the day or have I got news for you, but they have both pretty much gone down the nick, match of the day compared to modern footy coverage is bollocks.

frankie Boyle getting let off the leash a few times a year to prove independence is hardly worth the license fee.

I had a think and I believe I understand the mistake I made: I essentially increasingly believe that he only way to preserve quality media is public financing, especially in smaller countries and countries which are not cultural net exporters. Without that, most media will be either trashy click bait or loss making media funded by people or organizations that have an agenda and are willing to take the loss to push it.

Therefore it would be a no-brainer for me to want to preserve a quality media that already exists.

Now, national public broadcasters tend to mirror the societies they operate in, the BBC is middle-class dominated, slightly suspicious of a very left wing leader and mildly (I know, I know) pro government which is in turn controlled by the currently ruling right wing party. That's why most people who come to political threads hate it, since most of them have left leanings and working class identity.

So, by expanding my point in saying the BBC is up there just about the best, I'm inadvertently saying so is the society, give a reform or a tweak or two, thus praising the status quo, which most of you think is rotten to the core.  I then compound my problems by introducing the NHS into the conversation, which is even more ideologically fraught.

To go back to my first paragraph, the source of my bafflement is mainly that the idea it's a good thing to have a publicly funded broadcaster (that can provide all source of services purely commercial media may not want to touch) is mostly met with hostility on a left-leaning forum where members normally promote all sorts of other public ownership.

To finally reply directly to your post, you may have quoted me, but out of context of the conversation. Universities was more of a joke since you all of a sudden went into the best of British rant. On the BBC output, over the past years television standards in general have gone up in a technologically fuelled upward cycle, and there is more pressure on quality, BBC's and British TV in general, where what used to be seen as stellar is now just meh. Stripping the national broadcaster of public funding is, to me, hardly the solution.

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I had a think and I believe I understand the mistake I made: I essentially increasingly believe that he only way to preserve quality media is public financing, especially in smaller countries and countries which are not cultural net exporters. Without that, most media will be either trashy click bait or loss making media funded by people or organizations that have an agenda and are willing to take the loss to push it.

Therefore it would be a no-brainer for me to want to preserve a quality media that already exists.

Now, national public broadcasters tend to mirror the societies they operate in, the BBC is middle-class dominated, slightly suspicious of a very left wing leader and mildly (I know, I know) pro government which is in turn controlled by the currently ruling right wing party. That's why most people who come to political threads hate it, since most of them have left leanings and working class identity.

So, by expanding my point in saying the BBC is up there just about the best, I'm inadvertently saying so is the society, give a reform or a tweak or two, thus praising the status quo, which most of you think is rotten to the core.  I then compound my problems by introducing the NHS into the conversation, which is even more ideologically fraught.

To go back to my first paragraph, the source of my bafflement is mainly that the idea it's a good thing to have a publicly funded broadcaster (that can provide all source of services purely commercial media may not want to touch) is mostly met with hostility on a left-leaning forum where members normally promote all sorts of other public ownership.

To finally reply directly to your post, you may have quoted me, but out of context of the conversation. Universities was more of a joke since you all of a sudden went into the best of British rant. On the BBC output, over the past years television standards in general have gone up in a technologically fuelled upward cycle, and there is more pressure on quality, BBC's and British TV in general, where what used to be seen as stellar is now just meh. Stripping the national broadcaster of public funding is, to me, hardly the solution.

Sorry dude, but you are talking bollocks, I quoted your post in full, there was no mention or context of referring to public ownership of utilities vs BBC.

for the record, I have no axe to grind as regards it being publicly owned or not. I just want it to perform better, more objectively for those who pay for it. I expect a lot less bias and better performance, it appears all the quality goes into BBC’s commercial side whilst the plebs who own the fucking thing get peddled right wing shite.

as for your references to the NHS and Universities well of course it’s much easier to say I was only aving a larf, but the problem is the state of these institutions is having a direct impact on people’s lives - and they are not just aving a larf.

13 minutes ago, Jim Spartacus said:

Sorry dude, but you are talking bollocks, I quoted your post in full, there was no mention or context of referring to public ownership of utilities vs BBC.

for the record, I have no axe to grind as regards it being publicly owned or not. I just want it to perform better, more objectively for those who pay for it. I expect a lot less bias and better performance, it appears all the quality goes into BBC’s commercial side whilst the plebs who own the fucking thing get peddled right wing shite.

as for your references to the NHS and Universities well of course it’s much easier to say I was only aving a larf, but the problem is the state of these institutions is having a direct impact on people’s lives - and they are not just aving a larf.

Yes, because anybody would actually think the status or even existence of a national broadcaster is more important than having water, heating, electricity.

I didn't say I was only having a laugh, I tried to explain why I even mentioned universities in a thread about the BBC.  

Incidentally, I keep saying "d bee bee see" in my head in Johnny Rotten's sneering voice which isn't helping my point much.

On 11/02/2020 at 10:32, SasaS said:

Having publicly owned influential media is more important and ultimately beneficial than public ownership of utilities, you don't have to publicly own electricity suppliers to get electricity. When a good public broadcaster has a dominant or a significant position in the media landscape, it also influences other media, by setting and maintaining standards. Media will in the future be even more fragmented and under ever increasing financial pressure, due to technological change, so already established public broadcaster will be a huge asset for any society.  

On the best in the world comment, BBC has generally been considered the best in the world in its category by media professionals across nations. People in Britain seem to think that the NHS is "the envy of the world", even though nobody outside the UK knows or cares about it, since they have similar or better healthcare systems. It's the BBC that people are envious of. Protect it, develop it and cherish it.

This is, in my experience, absolutely false. 

No 10 warns the BBC that the TV licence fee is facing the axe

The Sunday Times quoted a senior source as saying that the broadcaster could be forced to sell off most of its radio stations in a "massive pruning back" of its activities.

The source told the paper that prime minister Boris Johnson was "really strident" on the need for serious reform.

They said there would be a consultation on replacing the licence fee with a subscription model, adding: "We will whack it."

The paper said that the number of BBC television channels could also be reduced, the website scaled back and stars banned from cashing in on well-paid second jobs.

The attack will be seen as a further escalation of the hostilities between No 10 and the corporation, with many Tories still angry at its coverage of last year's general election.

The government is already consulting on proposals to decriminalise non-payment of the licence fee, and ministers have suggested it could be abolished altogether when the BBC's charter comes up for renewal in 2027.

It was reported that the review will be led by former culture secretary John Whittingdale, who was reappointed to his old department in last week's reshuffle.

The Sunday Times quoted one source as saying: "We are not bluffing on the licence fee. We are having a consultation and we will whack it. It has got to be a subscription model.

"They've got hundreds of radio stations, they've got all these TV stations and a massive website. The whole thing needs massive pruning back.

"They should have a few TV stations, a couple of radio stations and massively curtailed online presence and put more money and effort into the World Service which is part of its core job.

"The PM is firmly of the view that there needs to be serious reform. He is really strident on this."

The warning comes after the BBC chairman Sir David Clementi last week mounted a strong defence of the licence fee system.

He warned that putting the broadcaster behind a paywall would undermine its ability to "bring the country together".

Meanwhile Johnson's aides also turned their fire on highly-paid BBC stars who made huge sums from outside work, suggesting they should be forced to donate the money to charity.

"It's an outrage that people who make their profile at public expense should seek to give themselves further financial rewards and personal gain," one source told the paper.

"They're basically making their names on the taxpayer and cashing in. The BBC should immediately halt this practice and give the money to good causes."

A No 10 spokeswoman declined to comment on the remarks.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/no-10-warns-the-bbc-that-the-tv-licence-fee-is-facing-the-axe-1-6516898

On 11/02/2020 at 11:35, Strontium Dog™ said:

- Pops into thread

- Calls people Tories

- Zero in way of analysis, explanation, dissection of points made by others

Never change, moof...

I love how you disappear when you get shown up for the lying bullshitting arse that you are. You just walk away. It’s honourable. I wish I had the same steel 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I love how you disappear when you get shown up for the lying bullshitting arse that you are. You just walk away. It’s honourable. I wish I had the same steel 

I love how you talk utter shite about absolutely everything and get repped through the arse for it.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I love how you talk utter shite about absolutely everything and get repped through the arse for it.

I Repped you both just for the fun of it.