You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go Sober for Mind

Fowlers God

4 hours ago, Champ said:

Genuinely don’t know how you’ve got this far. It seemed to be the only thing you I can remember you posting about, after your kids. And that’s s pretty scary combination.

I honestly meant it when I said the other week that my kids were tiny babies when I last went more than a week without having a drink and I barely touch the stuff compared to most of you lot.

Fair play to you, FG. Donation incoming

Thanks Cath. 

Ive gotten this far because of my kids. I know now that I abused alcohol to deal with my depression. Now I’m out the other side I know this and also know who I am without it. 

Im a much better person because of it. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

Thanks Cath. 

Ive gotten this far because of my kids. I know now that I abused alcohol to deal with my depression. Now I’m out the other side I know this and also know who I am without it. 

Im a much better person because of it. 

Good for you, that alone justifies going out of my way to finish off the payments in January. Success is inspiring and should be celebrated by everyone just so they can feel good too.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

11 months Sober today!!!!!

and only £260 away from doubling my target of 1K

thank you so much for everyone who has donated so far. 

If you havent, want to know more or just fancy a look please see the link below. 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/dan-jones40

Well done, FG. That’s quite an achievement. How’s that anniversary feeling?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Champ said:

Well done, FG. That’s quite an achievement. How’s that anniversary feeling?

Honestly Champ, 

its the 26th of January and I’m very nervous about it. I really like the person that I’ve become not drinking. I will drink on the anniversary but after that- not sure it’s for me anymore. 

That area of my my life has been put to bed. Most probably cost me a marriage (not just drinking) but certainly doesn’t help and I don’t want to be taking those issues into future relationships. Including my existing ones with my kids

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

Honestly Champ, 

its the 26th of January and I’m very nervous about it. I really like the person that I’ve become not drinking. I will drink on the anniversary but after that- not sure it’s for me anymore. 

That area of my my life has been put to bed. Most probably cost me a marriage (not just drinking) but certainly doesn’t help and I don’t want to be taking those issues into future relationships. Including my existing ones with my kids

Go 'ed fella - making us all proud here on TLW. 

I've recently (1st December) given up the alcohol too along with social media. 

Feels strange at times and still getting the urges on Fridays but sicking to it and confident I'll make the switch as I have with becoming a veggie. Happy days! 

I’ve packed in the ale as well, although I have just added a bottle of JD, a bottle of Baileys and a 4-pack of Guinness to my Xmas shopping list. I’ll buy it because it’s Xmas but I wouldn’t be surprised if some or all of it stays in the kitchen until summer at least. 

Jibbed the Buck’s Fizz off because I know for a fact I won’t be drinking from breakfast onwards like I normally would. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve packed in the ale as well, although I have just added a bottle of JD, a bottle of Baileys and a 4-pack of Guinness to my Xmas shopping list. I’ll buy it because it’s Xmas but I wouldn’t be surprised if some or all of it stays in the kitchen until summer at least. 

Jibbed the Buck’s Fizz off because I know for a fact I won’t be drinking from breakfast onwards like I normally would. 

I've jibbed the ale off too mate. 

Stopped drinking at the start of December, just went out and had about 15 pints last Saturday, finished about 9am Sunday, then I was out for the Liverpool game on Sunday afternoon. 

Had a few in the house last night and will have a couple tonight too. 

Feel loads better for knocking it all on the head. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Haha. It’s Christmas though. I have to get some alcohol in, in case I change my mind about not drinking on the day. 

It’s a funny quote this, “it’s Christmas though”

i used to use it all the time, not like in the middle of summer and that but it’s the excuse as a society we give to each other to excuse the amount drunk and the actions that result because of drinking. 

Is my 30th let’s get fucking cunted etc etc. 

All of our social situations revolve around alcohol. 

Not preaching its just something ive noticed this year

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

i used to use it all the time, not like in the middle of summer and that but it’s the excuse as a society we give to each other to excuse the amount drunk and the actions that result because of drinking. 

People just try to use excuses to have a drink.  I'm like that all of the time.

I’ve had leftover ale in the house and given it away. Bought ale again, didn’t drink it, gave it away. It wasn’t even a conscious decision. I’d been saying for a while that I thought my time as a drinker was coming to an end and after that bad episode I had a few months ago (medication and painkillers having weakened my stomach lining), I find myself looking at a beer and thinking that I just can’t be arsed.

I’m not using Christmas as an excuse. I don’t need an excuse. Like I said, I’m expecting the vast majority of what little alcohol I listed there to be still in the house long after Christmas has gone. Conversely I might get into the festive spirit and regret not having a tipple around on Christmas Day while all the shops are shut. 

2 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

So, in those social situations, what do you drink now?

4 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

Lime and soda mainly, later on into the evening maybe a Redbull if I need to have a pick me up. 

Picked up a bottle of non alcoholic Red the other night and that was really nice as I was cooking dinner. 

We were out last night at a Miller and Carter place (do they have them everywhere?) and was really impressed at the range of non alcoholic drinks on the menu.

I have to confess I had a French Martini but my tolerance for alcohol seems to have dipped lately and I’m thinking mixing my drinks with non alcoholic ones may be the way to go 

2 hours ago, Champ said:

We were out last night at a Miller and Carter place (do they have them everywhere?) and was really impressed at the range of non alcoholic drinks on the menu.

I have to confess I had a French Martini but my tolerance for alcohol seems to have dipped lately and I’m thinking mixing my drinks with non alcoholic ones may be the way to go 

My mum has started drinking non alcoholic drinks when out. Initially to support me but has started to use them in the house. 

Only issue I’ve found with them is that they dehydrate you very quickly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s been a very dry Christmas for me and it’s going to be a sober NYE for me too. I’ve got three weeks left of this challenge and I’m now only £91 short of raising £2,000 in memory of my late Friend Jim! If you’re going out tonight and having a drink why don’t you donate the cost of a drink for this amazing Charity Mind. If you want to know more or donate, please see the link below. For all of my Family and Friends who have donated so far thank you so much. I wouldn’t have been able to get through this year without your donations. Thanks

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

Well it’s been a very dry Christmas for me and it’s going to be a sober NYE for me too. I’ve got three weeks left of this challenge and I’m now only £91 short of raising £2,000 in memory of my late Friend Jim! If you’re going out tonight and having a drink why don’t you donate the cost of a drink for this amazing Charity Mind. If you want to know more or donate, please see the link below. For all of my Family and Friends who have donated so far thank you so much. I wouldn’t have been able to get through this year without your donations. Thanks

I'll be finishing my donation of £48 (£42 remaining to be paid on completion) in January so if you're trying to get to £2,000 and only £91, by my maths you will be just short by £49.

On 12/21/2018 at 1:19 PM, Tony Moanero said:

Tomato juice is my tipple of choice, although I do enjoy the occasional can of Lilt. To be honest, recently, I’ve really fancied some Baileys, but know I won’t bother.

Drink what Milner drinks. Ribena.