You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

I think i've killed the thread CD. 

I'm listening to this album tonight. Weirdly I have heard all of the records in isolation but I didn't know they were all found on one album. Ocean Colour Scene were another band who had strong B-sides and released them on one album so I'm looking forward to listening to this.

I also like High Flying Birds so this could be a nice precursor of listening to his solo albums too.

OK review time for Masterplan by Oasis.

I was a big fan of The Sis back in the day as were all my friends at the same time. Lots of memories (good and bad) have come from listening to this album so it's hard to separate personal feelings from the music on this album. I lost touch with all the friends I had at that time (some of them weren't really friends, more acquaintances through friends) but they all mattered at the time. Sad news from the grapevine one of them passed away on Christmas Day 2016 - I found out through a coincidental poster on a car that was being signwritten. He was two years younger than me but I never found out how, only that support was offered to Mental Health charities in his memory. Perhaps this is a clue.

Aquiesce : 

Raw Oasis from their first album's style and a proper anthem from the band. I always preferred Noel Gallagher's voice on this track but it's a good opener and certainly good enough to feature on one of their albums, easily. 8/10

Underneath The Sky :

Unusual sound for Oasis at the time but good melodies as usual. Good vocals from Liam in a more restrained performance. Again could be on an album, signature for their B-sides which were as good as their A-sides. 8/10

Talk Tonight :

This must have given Noel the belief that he could be a decent vocalist and properly stripped back acoustics in this track. Most people who heard this track believed that Noel would go on to be successful in his own right (if that was his choice) and he was the real drive behind the band. 8/10

Going Nowhere :

Almost a follow on from Talk Tonight with more strings and layers, so for the same reasons this is 8/10

Fade Away :

Punk rock, I didn't really like this side of the band as metal bands did this kind of track way better and Liam's vocals for me were never as distinguished in their faster tracks. 6/10

Swamp Song :

As a fan I am sure this is a good memory of their live shows but I don't get on with their instrumentals but you can't doubt their musicianship. 6/10

I Am The Walrus :

It was obvious when they covered this that their early influences included The Beatles and this track confirms it. Always brave to cover a classic but somehow this works very well as it's inbetween punk and rock. Obviously the original is superior but even Oasis would probably know that 7/10

Listen Up :

I hadn't heard this song before (I think this is the only one on the album that I haven't ever heard) but it's so similar to tracks like Some Might Say that I have heard it before 5/10

Rockin' Chair :

Another good song with Liam performing well. It's a nice melody track rather than punk or rock so I like this quite a bit 8/10

Half The World Away :

Noel shows he can sing, write and play on this track and it's another good melody. I prefer the melodic music, probably similar to most I would imagine. I'm sure this was also a theme tune to a TV show too 9/10

It's Good To Be Free :

So there is a second song I hadn't heard before. This is better than the other track I hadn't heard as it doesn't sound like a rejected track. It's pretty reminiscent of their second album so for that reason I like it 8/10

Stay Young :

Great Oasis track this and it's one that could easily identify them, even though it's a B side. Possibly the best track on the album and quite relevant. 9/10

Headshrinker :

Another punk track and it's not my cup of tea but I can understand why people might like it. Better metal bands produce better music than this 6/10

Masterplan :

OK so Stay Young isn't quite the best album on the track. This is. I think most people have heard it before but it's a beauty and shows exactly what Noel is capable of. 10/10

8/10 overall score and now it's time for me to try and buy any remaining High Flying Birds albums : prbably only the new one to be honest so I'll wait until it's a bit cheaper but I'll try and listen to it on Spotify when I can find it.

Thanks Stig. Memories came flooding back and hopefully there will be some things that can be moved on from personally as a result of listening to it. But most importantly every day is a blessing. Christmas Day 2016 is proof of that.

Stay Young.

Listening to Goosefair now. Tbh, I’ve been putting it off for a little while, I’m as far from being a punk guy as you could possibly imagine. The rhythmic structure of the songs doesn’t grab me, there’s a lot of 4/4. Fairly formulaic stuff.

I like the cadance and metre of the vocal lines, relentless in those fast pace songs, especially the opener. He tries to inject a bit more of a melodic slant in certain songs, for example ‘situation’, and I think I’d prefer them to stick with the hard paced, more aggressive sound.

I’m about half way through the album and there have been no real stand out moments for me, Clive. I’m trying to be open minded because, as I said, I had reservations coming in; and it’s not as though the record is unenjoyable, in fact it feels like I’m moving through the songs at a fair pace - they aren’t dragging at all.

The sound does remind me of sort of early-era Green Day, and various other non-descript (to me!) punk bands from that time.

I imagine this is probably an act better enjoyed in a live setting.

The singer has a very raw sound, and you can feel the passion in the music. The drummer is keeping a decent tempo and the bass is punching through nicely, a couple of guitar leads thrown in there. They’re far from your regular 3-chord punk band.

It doesn’t excite me but is definitely good enough for me to listen all the way through to the end. Just noticed the final track has a 34 minute running time, so I gather the wuthering heights cover is encompassed in that time, and I’ll be interested to hear what they do with that...

I’m not sure if I’ll revisit this, but I have a feeling it might be more palatable when you’re not trying to critique it. Incidentally, the missus is really enjoying.

On the penultimate track now, ‘Meaning’. Bit of an Oasis vibe, which is an ominous sign for me considering what is next up. It’s going to be a chore, but one I’m happy to carry out. That will have to wait for another day, as it’s now time for a little smoke, drink and a long, hot bath.

Thanks go to Chev, I would never have listened to this album if it didn’t come up here, so for that I’m grateful. It’s always good to expand your horizons.

A pretty interesting take on Wuthering heights, and overall I have to say I’ve warmed to them over the course of the record. Not bad.

• Upvote 2

The Masterplan by Oasis

Acquiesce – Some people think this is about Liam and Noel, I don’t think Noel is taking Liam “back to bed” any time soon, unless he’s arrived back home after a bender having pissed himself, and I can imagine Noel wouldn’t be best pleased if Liam turned up nowadays. Attack hounds would be mobilised at Castle Noel within seconds of a sighting. Anyway, back to the song. It’s Oasis at their best really, simple rock n roll delivered with energy. Should’ve been a single. 9/10

Underneath the Sky – This does nothing for me whatsoever. 2/10

Talk Tonight – Noel leaning on the Cadd9 chord for this slower more introspective ballad. He gets criticised a lot for what Luke Haines refers to, succinctly, as simple-minded fake ponderous wisdom. But this track is one of the most raw tracks he’s ever written emotionally. 8.5/10

Going Nowhere – It’s aptly named. Elevator music 1/10

Fade Away – Liam’s sounds like he’s singing through a Fisher Price microphone and cassette recorder on this one, in fact the whole band do. Was Lars Ulrich the producer? The song is good though. Love the way Liam sings the lines “Fantasy was real, now I know much about the way I feel” and the guitars driving the vocals during the verses. The chorus is a bit repetitive. 8/10

The Swamp Song – Love it. Great interlude. 8/10

Listen Up – Starts exactly like Live Forever. The drums are identical. The lyrics are shit, especially “take me up to the top of the world I wanna see my criiimmmme” *shudders*. The pre chorus saves it a bit “one fine day, gonna leave you all behind” and the key change underneath it add interest. It sounds like a b-side that should’ve been left on the cutting room floor. 4/10

Rockin Chair – It’s got a similar vocal arrangement to Come on feel the noise by Slade. You could imagine it doing well as a single. 6.5/10

Half The World Away – It’s got a Married with Children vibe off the first record. It’s a good track. 8/10

(It’s Good) To Be Free – Interesting guitars on this track - if slightly annoying use of unmusical feedback at times. Good use of the Fender Rhodes as well. Best guitar track on the record besides Swamp Song 7/10

Stay Young – Liam is too nasally on this one. It’s a decent, if unremarkable track. 4/10

Headshrinker – Enjoyed this one. Liam’s vocal performance is excellent. The band play the track well. The production is poor. The guitars should jump out of the mix more. There’s no bass on this record and it affects the driving rhythm of the more rocky songs. I still really enjoy it but if it were engineered better it would’ve been more powerful. 8/10

The Masterplan – The best produced track on the record. Not the best song, but certainly the most polished. Very Beatlesesque  7/10

Overall – 6.2/10

• Upvote 1

Feels like this is a placemark, a turning point - I think Oasis had been found out both live and in the studio - by people outside the band and the fellas themselves. Certainly too much was asked of them by the media and their fans and this feels like the time they ran out of gas. 

Overall the songs are not really any less than most of their stuff tbh, but the shine had worn off. Lets face it - neither brother is a top vocalist and so to constantly have to be compared to a band that had two of the greatest vocalists to ever do it would wear you down. Definitely.

And maybe the fact they are happy to sound so derivative at times made it worse. 

"Your dreams are made of strawberry lemonade"

Those shoes are way too big.

Walrus? Leave it alone -- again, for me, too big.

That said - Acquiesce is a top, top tune, as good as they have and songs like Fade Away and Swamp I am sure were great at shows.

Half the World I like - and I would never have heard that. A couple more rockers which may have featured at shows - Stay Young the better of the two. Then the hardest track - Headshrinker. They are all ok - but they know just what they are - B sides.

Masterplan is also a top track. They could have made a single out of either this or Acquiesce for sure - the others just are not at the level of these two - or the rest of their top stuff. But if this was released as a record proper those two tracks are certainly strong enough to make it stand with most of their contemporaries. However -  by this point I think they had the weight of a generation's expectations on their shoulders and in hindsight it was too much. 

It was interesting to go back and listen to the singles they were paired with as well. Never being a fan of this band I had not heard them ape Bang a Gong  (Cigs and Alch) harder than any Beatles track previously. 

Dont Look Back in Anger still sounds really, really good.

• Upvote 3

Review : The Masterplan by Oasis

Now then now then and here we are at another stop in our little GF Music Collective journey, and what a great and unexpected ride it's been so far, eclectic and really enjoyable. So this week it's Stig's turn and he chooses...OASIS ?!?

Did I say unexpected !

Never heard this record but just listened to it for the 4th time and here's my own personal, little unbiased review.

Acquiesce kicks off The Masterplan, vocal strains of What's The Story giving way to a great dirty big fat old Oasis riff and Liam's throaty sneer, in turn giving way to Noel's uplifting singalong chorus, "Cos we neeeeeeed each other, we belieeeeeeve in one another".

Damn, I've missed these guys, what a kick ass opener, I'm gonna really enjoy this.

Great opener, great riffage, tons of attitude, everything which made Oasis great (small g).

Technically, the drums sound a bit blunt, the snare and cymbals could've been a touch brighter and sharper, but fuck it that's just nit picking. Great start.

Bang! Underneath The Sky brings it all crashing down. Piss poor in comparison to Acquiesce. Poor Liam singing like he's been newtered. Filler as fuck.

Talk Tonight starts with Noel, "Sitting on my own / chewing on a bone" [groan], Noel man ffs! Lyrics all 6th formy and way too obvious for my grizzled tastes, and sadly I'm no fan of the music here either.

I can see perhaps why people of a certain age, who grew up with Oasis and that whole scene would love this stuff, but I guess you had to be there. I wasn't.

I found Talk Tonight boring and corny I'm afraid.

Going Nowhere kicks off with organ and strings and is all very Beatlesy. Noel's vocals are sub John, Paul and even Ringo sadly.

A ponderous main riff gives way to a much nicer chorus. Going Nowhere sounds every inch like a B side and the title is sadly prophetic.

The next track is thankfully much better. Fade Away kicks it's way in with a Helter Skelter of an opening riff and a real 70s punk rock vibe and urgency. Fade Away (to me) really shows why Liam was the main man in Oasis, his singing is much stronger than Noel's, with a raw and punky delivery. I like this and it's much more like it, eben if the chorus does rip off Gary Glitter's "It's good to be back, it's good to be back"

Swamp Song is enjoyable enough, dancey with some Cajun-Salford swagger.

I Am The Walrus is a Great song (capital G) and a really enjoyable cover with nice guitars and a good vocal from Liam.

Noticing some really good drumming on this record, no overplaying or uneccessary fills, very tasteful. The mix is a bit muddy in the bottom end but it is a live recording, and a very good one at that.

Picking up some momentum here.

Listen Up starts exactly like Live Forever ! Albeit a more ponderous version, I can see why this is a B-side. Hang on, a nice chorus elevates this, "one fine day...".

The drummer needs some Red Bull and whizz on this one.

A lovely Hammond organ ushers in Rockin' Chair, tasteful acoustic guitar, "I don't care for your attitude, you bring me down, I think you're rude.", is surely Liam taking the piss ?!

One of the better songs so far.

Half The World Away. I know this! Noel's vocal suits this so well, nice mix, guitars sound lovely panned hard left and right. Even though the bass is wasted, I like this.

It's Good To Be Free opens with a nice guitar riff, typical Oasis I'd say, there's Liam rasping away with his tambourine, a nice bridge "Little things make me so happy", I like this, another good one, maybe a late set breather ? Hang on, here's fucking Captain Pugwash making a belated appearance ? Bit random.

Another  typically boistrous Oasis riff announces Stay Young. The vocal sounds familiar but Liam seems to be struggling on those higher notes. Corny lyrics but I bet the fans go wild for this one. A big singalong...am I right Stig ?

Headshrinker muscles in with another familiar sounding riff, this is dirty and punky and raw and really very good. Here comes a tasty lead, the drums are low in a good live sounding mix. I really like the middle 12 too. My favourite so far. Bravo chaps, good stuff, that rocked.

The Masterplan is the final song and the title track, heard of this one before so I'm expecting a rousing finale.

The intro is good, sounds like they've actually worked at this one, a lovely opening, I can almost see the lighters (or the iPhones) swaying in the air. A nice chord progression and chorus. Is this a set closer Stig ? Sounds like it. I like this, but not my favourite.

So in summary, what did I make of The Masterplan ? I honestly liked it way more that WTSMG, but found it still a bit patchy (especially at the start), but it did make me smile and remember why so many people loved Oasis back in the day, a brash unapologetic adrenalaine surge, a banner waved by the youth of the time pronouncing This is OUR time.

I said in a previous post that I believed Oasis were one of the most overrated and underrated bands ever. I stand by that.

• Upvote 2

Okay then gents, any more incoming ?

It's Paul's turn to post his AOW next, then Winston and then Mook. I thought it might be an idea to have another weekend to give people a bit more time to get their reviews of Stig's Oasis' Masterplan posted in the thread and a bit of catch up time for other AOWs more generally, so I've asked Paul if he could maybe post his selection early next week.

I nailed that Oasis record and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would but, got to be honest, I'm really looking forward to hearing something different now.

Hope you lot are alright.

Okay then gents, any more incoming ?

It's Paul's turn to post his AOW next, then Winston and then Mook. I thought it might be an idea to have another weekend to give people a bit more time to get their reviews of Stig's Oasis' Masterplan posted in the thread and a bit of catch up time for other AOWs more generally, so I've asked Paul if he could maybe post his selection early next week.

I nailed that Oasis record and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would but, got to be honest, I'm really looking forward to hearing something different now.

Hope you lot are alright.

How come you have only posted 1 full album on the spotify playlist mate? And then just single songs from the others? 

Lets face it - neither brother is a top vocalist and so to constantly have to be compared to a band that had two of the greatest vocalists to ever do it would wear you down. 

I assume you mean The Beatles here, mate? Now i love The Beatles, but Lennon apart i don't think any of them are particularly great vocalists, and even Lennon isn't that good in comparison to others (Freddie Mercury, Roy Orbison, Marvin Gaye, The Everly's, all off the top of my head), but in terms of songcraft and writing they were second to none. 

I assume you mean The Beatles here, mate? Now i love The Beatles, but Lennon apart i don't think any of them are particularly great vocalists, and even Lennon isn't that good in comparison to others (Freddie Mercury, Roy Orbison, Marvin Gaye, The Everly's, all off the top of my head), but in terms of songcraft and writing they were second to none. 

John Lennon & Paul McCartney are two of the greatest singers in the history of music, I find it hard to believe anyone would disagree with that.

Our old band got this amazing singer in, he sounded like Frankie Miller & he once pointed out that Lennon & McCartney wouldn't get near his list of 100 greatest singers. Then we decided to cover Dig a Pony & he used to come in flat on the first note every time we played it, he soon changed his tune.

I hear a lot of people saying McCartney was the lesser of the two but listening to Golden Slumbers I'm not so sure, what a voice he had on him. The Beatles were such a freak band.

• Upvote 1

John Lennon & Paul McCartney are two of the greatest singers in the history of music, I find it hard to believe anyone would disagree with that.

Our old band got this amazing singer in, he sounded like Frankie Miller & he once pointed out that Lennon & McCartney wouldn't get near his list of 100 greatest singers. Then we decided to cover Dig a Pony & he used to come in flat on the first note every time we played it, he soon changed his tune.

I hear a lot of people saying McCartney was the lesser of the two but listening to Golden Slumbers I'm not so sure, what a voice he had on him. The Beatles were such a freak band.

Oh Darling has an unbelievably good vocal. McCartney's voice from 65-75 was one of the world's best. Lennon's voice throughout the Beatles era was fantastic too.

• Upvote 1

How come you have only posted 1 full album on the spotify playlist mate? And then just single songs from the others?

Just intend to keep the playlist managable, but with the latest AOW in it's entirity for anyone who might be following this thread or the playlist itself. I've put a link to this thread on the playlist for any Spotifiers who may wish to investigate.

Sort of on that subject, which song from your AOW would you choose to keep on the playlist Stig?

Lennon has a cracked / strained quality to his voice that's more difficult to imitate. He could sing beautiful harmonies and melodies but he could also really scream and blow out his voice like Twist and Shout and Money. McCartney did that once or twice with Helter Skelter and I'm Down, but not to the same extent.

Ah bollocks, listen, I know I'm a shit cunt and an absentee reviewer and the least valued member since Hitler paid a subscription to The Morning Star, but here's my offering to the club. Like Skidders before me, and others, I've gone for an oldie, but I hope a goldie.

I give you this album, with only a slight comment and hope you enjoy it.

Happy Mondays 1988 album "Bummed". For me, it's a classic Indie/Dance album and represents it's time and cultural influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cD630p3IB8

https://open.spotify.com/album/63bl9diz0qWk5OOxb71zda

• Upvote 2