You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

37 minutes ago, A Red said:

You'd be happy to watch trans women against women?

A trans woman against a heavily steroided cis woman in a boxing fight? It would be boss. Certainly a more level playing field than the swimming. 

I think the key here is giving competitors the choice. If they want to compete against their same born-sex then they should and be supported, not demonised for doing do. 

If they wanted to have a go at the "all in" category they could, and be supported not demonised for doing do. 

12 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

A trans woman against a heavily steroided cis woman in a boxing fight? It would be boss. Certainly a more level playing field than the swimming. 

I think the key here is giving competitors the choice. If they want to compete against their same born-sex then they should and be supported, not demonised for doing do. 

If they wanted to have a go at the "all in" category they could, and be supported not demonised for doing do. 

Males have a 160% advantage in punching power.  

17 hours ago, Moo said:

There you go, Sunak found it hard to answer and an open goal opportunity has just arisen, the floodgates should now open.  Do you think they will? I'm not convinced.

This article suggests that the Tories might not all be as in line on this subject as you may think:

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/politics/956087/where-do-the-political-parties-stand-on-trans-rights

We'll see where this goes, I suspect it will be allowed to die a death.

2 days ago the government rejected all changes to the GRA in committee.  I’d say that shows exactly where they stand. 

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes.  Not other athletes or ex-athletes or campaign groups.  The girls. 

Did you read it?  

I'm just confused by the distinction.

Erica Sullivan is a girl and an athlete.

Unless you're saying that because she's a lesbian that doesn't count in which case your whole anger issue is entirely understandable because your head must be a monty python-esque mess.

If boys are boys and girls are girls and girls like boys and boys like girls then, if a boy likes a boy he must be a girl and if a girl likes a girl she must be a boy but boys can't be girls and girls can't be boys....something something.... if they both float they must be witches.

Quite the quandary.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'm a slow reader, point me to the bit where it says these are real girls and athletes as opposed to the other girls and athletes or tell me why you think they are.

I’ve explained what I meant. These are the girls impacted in the meet. Not ex-swimmers or athletes from another discipline commenting on it.  I’ve also said some support racing with Lia, but these girls don’t. So how do you balance that?  Women only and then open category? 

When you get to the part about how much faster the men are you’ll love it.  Maybe by this evening too. 

45 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I'm just confused by the distinction.

Erica Sullivan is a girl and an athlete.

Unless you're saying that because she's a lesbian that doesn't count in which case your whole anger issue is entirely understandable because your head must be a monty python-esque mess.

If boys are boys and girls are girls and girls like boys and boys like girls then, if a boy likes a boy he must be a girl and if a girl likes a girl she must be a boy but boys can't be girls and girls can't be boys....something something.... if they both float they must be witches.

Quite the quandary.

Oh you’ve edited it. Adding two paragraphs- that’s a bit naughty without highlighting it. 

Im being accused of homophobia now too?  Well, that’s a good one. It’s complete nonsense though.  Although being a lesbian I guess she knows what a woman is.  Do you?  Could you define ‘woman’?  

1 hour ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

That's not what I asked. 

7 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Oh you’ve edited it. Adding two paragraphs- that’s a bit naughty without highlighting it. 

Im being accused of homophobia now too?  Well, that’s a good one. It’s complete nonsense though.  Although being a lesbian I guess she knows what a woman is.  Do you?  Could you define ‘woman’?  

I edited it almost immediately, don't worry yourself I'm not accusing you of homophobia. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, A Red said:

That's not what I asked. 

I've been pretty clear that I don't think that cis born women and trans women should compete in, what was previously, competitions for cis born women. 

If there was an "all in" category that cis born women could choose to compete with trans women, then I suppose I would be fine with that. 

36 minutes ago, mars said:

This is interesting - data suggests Lia Thomas didn't have an unfair advantage. It's a long article but worth reading. Rather a shame this was ever an issue as the spotlight should have been on Kate Douglass' extraordinary performance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/lia-thomas-trans-swimmer-ncaa-b2044605.html

37 minutes ago, mars said:

This is interesting - data suggests Lia Thomas didn't have an unfair advantage. It's a long article but worth reading. Rather a shame this was ever an issue as the spotlight should have been on Kate Douglass' extraordinary performance.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/lia-thomas-trans-swimmer-ncaa-b2044605.html

It’s also fucking nonsense.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, mars said:

It's a long article trying every possible angle to argue that the fact a man is competing with women is not an unfair advantege.

• Upvote 1