You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Despite thinking FSG are shite, the talk of players going out over the past couple of days made me think something must be lined up, such was the apparent cost cutting. Seems ridiculous now.

Feel like one of those Everton wives who go back to their husband, even though he has roughed her over before, only to be hit in the face yet again when Sandro Ramirez turns out to be shite.

• Upvote 1

I think Klopp realises you can't let your only bonafide world class player go without looking to replace. Unfortunately i dont think hes that arsed if its this window or the next.

Similar at Dortmund when he was there that's the worrying thing does he just see it as a player leaving and start again?

I thought we'd pull off a surprise deal today, looks like I'm wrong.

I cant fathom out why Klopp thinks he doesn't need to replace Coutinho ?

Llalana has been injured virtually all season so that explanation doesn't hold water just baffling.

Read somewhere that Lallana has only played 7 games since signing new deal.

I've got a feeling that we have been well and truly money balled.

I'm not springing to the defence of the owners because I think they're a waste of time, but this is all on Klopp. He has the funds to sign the player he wants, he's choosing to wait until the summer to do so.

I think it's foolish in the extreme but he has got broad enough shoulders to take it if it goes wrong - and it is all on him if it does.

From BBC: Manchester City have walked away from a proposed deal for Leicester City's Riyad Mahrez after refusing to sanction a transfer package that would have cost £95m.

City do not view themselves as having made an offer after Leicester City came to them with a proposal that would have also included a player.

Conversations took place to ascertain Leicester's value of Mahraz - a number of which took place.

City had previously made it clear that they were not willing to spend, however the package was made up, more than £60m.

The difference in valuation was so big that there was no chance of agreement being reached, leaving City to walk away from the deal.

City were not interested in Mahrez simply because Leroy Sane was ruled out for seven weeks with the injury sustained in Sunday's FA Cup win at Cardiff City.

The club had a long-standing desire to bring in an attacking player next summer. They were obviously interested in Alexis Sanchez before he went to Manchester United but felt that was too expensive and have now reached the same conclusion with Mahrez.

I'm not springing to the defence of the owners because I think they're a waste of time, but this is all on Klopp. He has the funds to sign the player he wants, he's choosing to wait until the summer to do so.

I think it's foolish in the extreme but he has got broad enough shoulders to take it if it goes wrong - and it is all on him if it does.

Surely though somebody at FSG is wondering why Klopps not spending ? the champions league is were we need to be financially and in terms of football quality selling our best players season after season and not really replacing them must worry them Liverpool as a business is worth less without Champions league and lets be honest that's how they see us we want trophies they want sponsorships.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have no idea how anyone can really know this. Anyone who's ever had to manage in the workplace will tell you they've had to put a brave face on decisions and situations they weren't happy with, in order to present a unified front to the workforce.

Everything we've seen, and everything we know about how our club has worked under FSG would find it difficult to pinpoint the differences in this window versus the Brendan ones. The MO remains the same regardless of who takes the credit (or lack thereof) for the goings on. When you see something happening time and time again, then maybe it's not actually the manager.

• Upvote 3

Surely though somebody at FSG is wondering why Klopps not spending ? the champions league is were we need to be financially and in terms of football quality selling our best players season after season and not really replacing them must worry them Liverpool as a business is worth less without Champions league and lets be honest that's how they see us we want trophies they want sponsorships.

Rightly or wrongly (mostly rightly I would say) they have nothing but faith in their man. They will trust his judgement on this as he played it right with VVD even if it was a shambolic episode over the summer. He finally got his man.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have no idea how anyone can really know this. Anyone who's ever had to manage in the workplace will tell you they've had to put a brave face on decisions and situations they weren't happy with, in order to present a unified front to the workforce.

Everything we've seen, and everything we know about how our club has worked under FSG would find it difficult to pinpoint the differences in this window versus the Brendan ones. The MO remains the same regardless of who takes the credit (or lack thereof) for the goings on. When you see something happening time and time again, then maybe it's not actually the manager.

I agree with this.

• Upvote 1

Any time a manager doesn't like or isn't getting on with his bosses it comes out one way or another. It soon came clear with Rodgers. Benitez before him. It's been the opposite with Klopp. Any journalist close to the club is saying it's his choice or nothing.

I think you're looking for something that isn't there.

• Upvote 2

I completely buy what you're saying. There's no ticket discount they could give, outrageous signing they could make, contract they could hand out - I want FSG out. I think they are the biggest millstone around the club's neck and are holding us back. Everything Klopp is doing is in spite of them and not because of them.

But on this, there are too many reliable journalists all saying the same - this is Klopp's decision. It also has the fingerprints of his handiwork from the summer too - he decided VVD was his man and instead of signing the centre half we so clearly needed, he waited. I was totally against that at the time but it has proven successful.

But I believe the likes of Chris Bascombe who have said it several times - Klopp has the money. He is choosing to keep his powder dry and get who he wants in the summer. I personally think that is optimistic at best and foolish, if not negligent at worst if it goes wrong. But it may not do, as it didn't particularly with the centre half issue.

A bigger FSG critic than me you won't find, but this is all on Klopp.

• Upvote 1