You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander Arnold

Arl arse

1 hour ago, luxury_scruff said:

Ignore the embarrassing shithouse defending of the corner and just look at how he is walking and carrying himself.  It’s like some constant parade of how much of a bad man he is.  He literally walks around the pitch doing that weird exaggerated pose as some sort of show.  I’m surprised his hands aren’t down shorts as well.

Carragher originally used to softly pull him up some of these things but he’s completely shit out of ever mentioning it now.  I think he’s scared of rattling another local player who he’s going to have to deal with a lot in the future.

6 minutes ago, The Guest said:

Ignore the embarrassing shithouse defending of the corner and just look at how he is walking and carrying himself.  It’s like some constant parade of how much of a bad man he is.  He literally walks around the pitch doing that weird exaggerated pose as some sort of show.  I’m surprised his hands aren’t down shorts as well.

Carragher originally used to softly pull him up some of these things but he’s completely shit out of ever mentioning it now.  I think he’s scared of rattling another local player who he’s going to have to deal with a lot in the future.

First of all don't put him there. We've seen it for long enough now. We could instead focus on the ball to Salah that he volleys across.. The ball to Nunez that he couldn't even get his feet right so it bounced to Salah. Or the ball to Gakpo against Atalanta. Or almost every other decent pass that usually kick started a Klopp attack.

Yeah let's ignore that a defender/midfielder won't do the hard yards or put in a tackle because he's a great long passer. 

Hard work,tracking back and a bit of fight is the absolute least you expect from a player and club vice captain 

You would have thought losing a champions league final(not the only reason obviously) partly because he switched off marking at the back post would be enough to shake you up into switching on fully

Fuck me you can only imagine the reaction to his lack of effort defensively if he was playing in one of our great teams in the late 70 - mid 80s

5 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

First of all don't put him there. We've seen it for long enough now. We could instead focus on the ball to Salah that he volleys across.. The ball to Nunez that he couldn't even get his feet right so it bounced to Salah. Or the ball to Gakpo against Atalanta. Or almost every other decent pass that usually kick started a Klopp attack.

You think we are only talking about the corner here?  The lad walks around the pitch like that for nearly every minute he’s on it.  He lets players run off him constantly he takes the shithouse route in nearly every defensive situation.  It’s not even a metaphoric one for that corner he literally steps away so that he can’t challenge Calvert Lewin and it’s worked all the commentators giving Van Dijk shit over it.  You could clip up so many incidents of him behaving like this game after game.  Yeah great he can hit a great pass and scores the odd free kick.  It’s not worth the negative side of the game.  He’s literally like a child on the pitch with his attitude.  It’s insane that he hasn’t been pulled up on it but that seems to be Klopps way.

The fact we are playing this comically bad system to get him in the middle of the pitch so he can just walk around there playing 5 yard passes for 60 mins and create fuck all just adds even more negatives.  I said it last night but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a professional footballer at this level behave the way he does.  It’s like it’s so bad that people can’t even see it.  It’s been going on for years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Yeah let's ignore that a defender/midfielder won't do the hard yards or put in a tackle because he's a great long passer. 

Hard work,tracking back and a bit of fight is the absolute least you expect from a player and club vice captain 

You would have thought losing a champions league final(not the only reason obviously) partly because he switched off marking at the back post would be enough to shake you up into switching on fully

Fuck me you can only imagine the reaction to his lack of effort defensively if he was playing in one of our great teams in the late 70 - mid 80s

What fucking world are people living in? No top player runs around like a fucking lunatic. That's why they are a top player. Others do it. If you don't think Trent is a top player, fine. Get rid. Next question would be, for a club like Liverpool finding a 100m player who could replace a generational home talent.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

What fucking world are people living in? No top player runs around like a fucking lunatic. That's why they are a top player. Others do it. If you don't think Trent is a top player, fine. Get rid. Next question would be, for a club like Liverpool finding a 100m player who could replace a generational home talent.

You actually have the unmitigated gall to call people clueless and then you come up with that. My word.

Do you think Trent is Messi? Is that it? 

1 minute ago, Smell The Glove said:

Nobody is expecting him to be a idiot. They expect him to chase back when we are defending and get back onto position and track his runners. Not expect Konate to doing his dirty work for him. It's funny that when we started in the team and right up to the title season he was willing to do the work, even if not great defender he was back there. Then the talk of him being a midfielder started and he couldn't get in the Emgland side as a RB and the effort in his defending just stopped. Klopp had to adjust everything to find him a spot as a inverted fullback and yet he still won't do any of the dirty work. 

People don't expect him to act like so yarddog wannabe box to box type but they do expect him to put in challenges and throw his foot or head in to challenges. 

5 hours ago, A Red said:

I think Trent is our most talented player, our biggest asset that pretty much any team in the world would want. No fucking way should we even contemplate selling him, it would be madness. That said, his defending for their 2nd goal was like a school boy. 

Don’t agree with this at all - he needs to develop or change his game somehow.

People mentioning him constantly in the same breath, or even as surpassing, Gerrard is fucking gear grinding

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Your Trent stuff is some of the worst stuff I've read on this forum. The guy who basically wants him dead on here is closer to being right than you are. It's unbelievable.

We have a generational talent. We either use him or get rid and have nothing. It's not hard. We are a club that doesn't spend. Who are you getting better than a local lad who is a genius we got for nothing?

This generational talent thing is part of the problem. He believes it to much. He's not Steven Gerrard. At Gerrard peak in the biggest game of his life in Istanbul with us under the kosher he goes to fightback because the team needed him to. And helped shut down Serginho. No standing around,no switching off. Just dig in and get stuck in when needed. 

That's what world class players do. 

He is a great attacking fightback wingback or right midfielder in a 442. He's not Xabi Alonso, or hasn't shown himself to be. Xabi like Pirlo played deep because they read the game and would be in the right position defensively and willing to make challenges or be switched on enough defensively to cut out passing lanes etc

Players run off Trent all the time and he seems completely unaware of them before they are well past him(Vinicius jnr,CL Final goal)

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

We have a generational talent. We either use him or get rid and have nothing. It's not hard. We are a club that doesn't spend. Who are you getting better than a local lad who is a genius we got for nothing?

Why are you calling him a generational talent ? Do you at least know what it means to be a generational talent ? 

Lionel Messi is one. Haaland and Mbappe you can call them as such. 

He is not even the best right back in the world. Attacking wise, Robertson is boasting quite similar stats as him, does it mean he's a generational talent as well ?

You need to acknowledge it is the system he's playing in that makes him look like the best attacking fullback in the world. Take him out of that system and he's just an average right back jogging around the pitch.

As for the defensive part, he's just one of the worst you'll see at top level.

Right now, I have more trust in Bradley defending that side of the pitch to be honest.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, luxury_scruff said:

I like Trent I think he's a brilliant player on the ball. World class in fact. But off the ball it's wtf most of the time.

That video is pretty damning. It's probably not his space being zonal but fuck me have some awareness. You should see Van Dijk getting blocked, know that there isn't someone deeper and fill that space to be in front of Calvert Lewin. 

I agree about his attitude in the build up to the corner being taken, he's not ready or switched on, strolling around and not alert or focused. It's how he defends most of the time I guess.

I still wouldn't get rid though, put him in midfield so his defensive bullshit has cover behind him. He's too good on the ball to lose and he creates too many chances. Those players are hard to replace.

Just now, KingLuis said:

Why are you calling him a generational talent ? Do you at least know what it means to be a generational talent ? 

Lionel Messi is one. Haaland and Mbappe you can call them as such. 

He is not even the best right back in the world. Attacking wise, Robertson is boasting quite similar stats as him, does it mean he's a generational talent as well ?

You need to acknowledge it is the system he's playing in that makes him look like the best attacking fullback in the world. Take him out of that system and he's just an average right back jogging around the pitch.

As for the defensive part, he's just one of the worst you'll see at top level.

Right now, I have more trust in Bradley defending that side of the pitch to be honest.

I can accept that and can easily climb down from that perch. Robertson as I'm sure you know is not even close to the footballer Trent is. My entire argument is, Trent has unique talent. Its been maximised once by Klopp. We are not a big hitting club, we punch way above our weight, nobody is giving me anything as to who replaces him if we just get rid. A guy we got for nothing, passes like a guy you'd pay through the roof far. For the umpteenth time, are you selling him? Or are you finding a way to make it work?

5 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I can accept that and can easily climb down from that perch. Robertson as I'm sure you know is not even close to the footballer Trent is. My entire argument is, Trent has unique talent. Its been maximised once by Klopp. We are not a big hitting club, we punch way above our weight, nobody is giving me anything as to who replaces him if we just get rid. A guy we got for nothing, passes like a guy you'd pay through the roof far. For the umpteenth time, are you selling him? Or are you finding a way to make it work?

Trent is not someone who will track back and defend like you would like from your defenders. It has been some time now where he thinks he is above that and there are others behind to do the job. 

And because of this, I don't think he will work in a midfield like ours, unless the new manager wants to try him as an attacking midfielder (the way Bellingham is playing for madrid, and even there, Belligham has his fair share of defensive duties which he does).

We must not forget that Trent has won everything there is to win with us and at a young age. Is he hungry enough for more ? 

I will prefer we focus our attention on Bradley who is more willing to learn and run. And if we can find someone who is willing to put good money on the table for Trent we should bite his hand without hesitation. 

If Trent doesn't wise up he'd better get used to being kicked in the face during the off-season.

The approach is forensic and imaginative. Take, for example, the full-back Marcus Pedersen, who staff believed would benefit from becoming more aggressive on the field, but in a controlled manner, so he was taken to a kickboxing gym.

Egger says: “When you work with other sports as an athlete, you pick up little tools that those sports use to toggle aggression or drive intensity. It can be really powerful, especially when a player enjoys it and sees differences himself. I’m a big believer that changing your surroundings can sometimes just wake you up and make you work so much harder. When you’re in the same four walls for many years, it’s good to get out, be pushed and break through plateaus. But you can also make the clear football relevance to it by saying it’s about winning duels on the field, so there is an actual endpoint on the pitch. It’s not just something that we’ve come up with.”

“So with Marcus, for example, we wanted him confident and aggressive. And if he goes to the fight gym, they say ‘Show me confident and aggressive. OK, This was a five out of 10, now I want to see 10 out of 10’. And the guys who we work with in kickboxing, they will teach him if someone pushes you, you never let anyone push you around. You always push back. Or in kickboxing, you never receive a leg kick without it being answered. Otherwise, someone will kick you again. These are little lessons and maybe there’s two per cent transfer to the field that makes a difference. Obviously, we don’t want him going around leg kicking people in games, but he can then take that with him and we can say to him before games to see his competitive game face.”