You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cycling

ROTOQ, on 20 Apr 2017 - 12:49 AM, said:

Right, so I'm cycling from Co. Down to Galway. It's about 200 miles. I've roped my cousin in for company.

The biggest journey I've done yet is 20 miles, so I'm aware there is a fuck lot of work to be done. Mind you, I have a spare stone to shed, and I've always had more in the tank after the commute, and done ~40 miles in a day easily.

Anyway, the idea is, I'm cycling from my Mums home in Co Down to her childhood home in Galway, to raise money for Marie Curie, who were so good to her over the last couple of years.

Mum passed away on the 10th April. I'm not naive enough to have a go at this any time soon, so I'm thinking scheduling it in for her years anniversary (April 2018) would be fitting, and give me time to get my arse on the saddle. If anyone thinks the end of the summer, maybe late September would be possible, speak up.

Any tips from any long distance riders? Could it be done in a day? Or would it be best split over 2? An even split of 100mi/100mi or maybe 120mi/80mi?

Any tips appreciated. Especially you Dougie Do'it.

100 miles a day is a fair effort, but you should be able to do that with a reasonable training schedule - ride to work once or twice a week with a longer (50 mile+) outing on a weekend. Defo doable by end of September if you don't slack off too much I reckon.

• Upvote 1

100 miles a day is a fair effort, but you should be able to do that with a reasonable training schedule - ride to work once or twice a week with a longer (50 mile+) outing on a weekend. Defo doable by end of September if you don't slack off too much I reckon.

Going to start the commutes again on Monday. I have no uni from now until October so this is why I'd like to try and get it done by September, if possible.

BBC are reporting on a study in the BMJ which says that people who regularly cycle to work are 41% less likely to die prematurely from any cause than commuters who travel by car or public transport.

Probably way more likely to get killed in an RTA though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Going to start the commutes again on Monday. I have no uni from now until October so this is why I'd like to try and get it done by September, if possible.

How are you getting on, ROTOQ?

I have my Carlisle to Cramond (Edinburgh) ride next month. Where did all those weeks go?

What with one thing and another the disciplined training has not gone quite to plan but after shaking off another cold I decided I would do a longish ride yesterday. The forecast was for it to be windy but I had no choice really and set off more in hope than expectation but to my surprise I really enjoyed it and wasn't half as tired as the last time I did the same route. It may be false encouragement but the plan is to push 100k next week

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

How are you getting on, ROTOQ?

Didn't see this. And if I had I wouldn't have answered as I hadn't been out, to my shame. Went for 15 miles on sunday and have done the IN part of the ~17 mile commute today and will be cycling home later. Don't feel like I've dropped off too much considering I haven't been out in months and I've put on a stone. My goal now is to get the IN commute done in an hour (Today was 1:22, best is 1:10).

Once I achieve that then the next target is to get the home commute under ah hour too (it always takes 10-15 minutes longer due to tiredness and possibly wind direction. But that's in the distance, for now I'm just glad I'm back on the bike.

Any of you on Strava?

I'm determined to take a step up from being a casual commuter this summer. I want to find the time, and commitment, to get out at a weekend or to take the longer route home. Just waiting for the foot injury to fully heal before I get back on the bike and take advantage of the nice weather.

Sheffield is a tough place to cycle though, which I keep using as my excuse.

I'm determined to take a step up from being a casual commuter this summer. I want to find the time, and commitment, to get out at a weekend or to take the longer route home. Just waiting for the foot injury to fully heal before I get back on the bike and take advantage of the nice weather.

Sheffield is a tough place to cycle though, which I keep using as my excuse.

I'm determined to become a consistent commuter. Although a commute for one isn't the same as another I suppose. How long is your commute?

First commute and my arse is fucked. And got a strong headwind in the second half of the home leg and it nearly slowed me to a crawl. Took 1:39! But, it's done. Feet up. Food in the oven. Working from home tomorrow and off to Galway with my daughter tomorrow night to stay with family for the weekend.

Apart from work and back, I've done fuck all of not. Went to Formby last week which was about 15 miles. Seriously need to get my arse back on the saddle. Might go out tomorrow. We'll see.

I managed 120k/75miles (for the traditionalists) today on a rather unforgiving hybrid in preparation for my big ride in a couple of weeks. I'm definitely getting fitter although my butt's not forgiven me yet.

Get out there, Mick

• Upvote 2

I managed 120k/75miles (for the traditionalists) today on a rather unforgiving hybrid in preparation for my big ride in a couple of weeks. I'm definitely getting fitter although my butt's not forgiven me yet.

Get out there, Mick

I did get out.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1778635886?share_unique_id=54

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Bit of a failure today from me. Went to Denton Manchester on the hybrid. 57 miles. Watched a bit of cricket before the return leg via the A57. Sadly the headwind was just to much so had to abandon the ride at 71 miles and get the train home which is a bit concerning.

I never made it out at all. Hope that helps

Bit of a failure today from me. Went to Denton Manchester on the hybrid. 57 miles. Watched a bit of cricket before the return leg via the A57. Sadly the headwind was just to much so had to abandon the ride at 71 miles and get the train home which is a bit concerning.

71 miles / 115 km is nothing to be ashamed about.

• Upvote 1

I never made it out at all. Hope that helps

And another thing, where's the concern? You went out for a ride, you did a decent number of miles but you were riding into a headwind all the way home and it just got a bit tedious so decided to call it a day. I'm sure you had similar days on LEJOG but carried on because you had the motivation of completing the event. Don't be so hard on yourself

Ah, well, this is it, my big ride. Too late for any more preparations. Carlisle to Cramond 102 miles according to Google. Getting the train to Carlisle and the plan is to be back for sunrise

That was amazing! Never before have I felt so good during an event I've entered. It was just like everything came together on a fantastic night...warm and a slight tail wind. I did the same event 2 years ago and had to be nursed home. Last night I was flying and got in to see the sun rise over Cramond beach an hour and a half quicker than that time.

• Upvote 5