You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle at home - Rafa's return - 23/04/2016

Newcastle deserve to get relegated.

At the start of the season, they were the club i most wanted to see drop.

Their fans are a bunch of biffs.

Rafa is already showing that had he been there from christmas, he would have easily kept them up.

So his reputation is intact, up or down.

Hope we batter them after giving Rafa a great reception.

He's too good for them anyway.

Main priority is Sturridge now, nothing else matters.

I really like that snippet of Klopp's press conference, where he's talking about welcoming back Rafa. It just shows a man completely at ease with himself, comfortable in his own skin.

I remember last time Rafa came back as Chelsea manager and it was just odd. Some of the wounds hadn't healed completely, the fanbase was still split and you had Rodgers bristling whenever Rafa was mentioned pre-match. Throw in the fact that you had the Chelsea manager receiving more love from the Liverpool fans than his own supporters that day, and it was downright surreal before you even mention the major onfield incident from that day. I actually felt a bit sorry for Rodgers that day, if I'm being totally honest, simply because there was a moment in the first half when I looked to the Kop and there were people giving it beans to the La Bamba- Rafa song. I mean, I was all for giving him a good reception- I applauded him as he came out and sang his name before the match, but at the first whistle, we were playing Chelsea and I wanted us to beat them. Still, I felt it was a manifestation of all the ill-feeling among our own support that had been brewing over the years because of appointing managers who weren't fit to trim the fella's goatee. Hodgson was a clusterfuck, Kenny was boss for a period and succeeded in uniting us until the wheels fell off, the jury was still very much out on Rodgers and a minority were deadset against him from the off.

It feels like we're in a much better place this time around. For the first time since Rafa's exit, we've appointed a top drawer manager who also has the personality required to take the mantle at a club like ours; where every word- rightly or wrongly- is scrutinised to the point it loses meaning. I think given the size of the club, that's something equally as important, as Hodgson never seemed to get it. I was saying to a mate yesterday that though it's still early days and things could be a lot better, it feels like the fans are all starting to get on the same page again. Given how shite things have been this decade- bar 13/14- I don't think that's something that can be underestimated.

I'm sure Rafa will get a boss reception today. It's no more than the fella deserves. I think one thing, though, is that the subtext of that Chelsea encounter will be absent, which I guess is important in moving forward. Going down the route of the romance analogies that this place loves, I think it's the equivalent of seeing an ex you had a lot of time for and being delighted to see that you're both in good places with other people. I know relating that to Newcastle's position may sound a little odd, but I've actually been heartened by how quickly they've taken to him and got behind him. I think it's the same culture of support that exists here, at Valencia, at Napoli, in that it's absolutely fervent. Even if they go down, I'm starting to think that he may even give it a year to try to get them back up and then build something from there. I mean, the level of control they're willing to give him- how many more clubs would he find that at in this country? A few games ago I would have said he'd be off like a shot in the summer if they were relegated, but for some reason I'm starting to think he might be willing to give it another campaign, conduct a root and branch and try to get them back up on a much better footing.

• Upvote 3

Significantly stronger side than I expected, hopefully we can justify that with a solid win. Think Firmino will grab a goal or two today, let's keep them from countering on us and we will be fine. Good to see that Klopp hasn't given up on 4th/5th yet, let's keep the momentum going, even if we (Sakho) and others (Mori) are making things difficult for us.

Disappointed to see Allen in the lineup.  The one player that we absolutely cannot lose to an injury, hope he comes off after 60 minutes at the latest.

After City's earlier win any faint hopes we might have had of fourth are gone, so this is completely meaningless.  I guess ending on a good run could theoretically give us good momentum for the Europa league, but the negative side of an injury in midfield far outweighs that possibility.