You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Positively Atheist Thread

Bjornebye

Well, as an atheist, I never attended any mass demonstrations to prevent another bunch of people who "see the world differently" from expressing themselves.

How about yourself?

Just like billions of Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs, etc, have never attended anything like that.

• Upvote 1

Atheists have simply ALL the answers.

But they can't dance.

And have a troubling sense of urgency to overcompensate for something.  Maybe it's because of their "more developed brains" (copyright Stronts).

But they've read some great books.

You appear to have all the hallmarks of an apathetic agnostic.

You don't know, you don't pretend to know, you aren't arrogant enough to think you know and, most importantly, you don't give a fuck.

That's me too.

I think we're great.

Ah shit does that make me arrogant? What am I then.

Atheists have simply ALL the answers.

But they can't dance.

And have a troubling sense of urgency to overcompensate for something. Maybe it's because of their "more developed brains" (copyright Stronts).

But they've read some great books.

I'd considered myself an agnostic, but I'm a terrible dancer so maybe I'm an athiest after all

I'm not sure I understand you, unless you believe in god you are an atheist. The end.

It's not that simple.

It presumes a binary yes/no answer to the question "Do you believe in god?", and atheists tend to (as seems to have happened in this situation) deduce the lack of a yes answer amongst agnostics equals no. It doesn't. It's like asking Schroedinger whether he believes his cat is alive, and by taking only a yes/no answer, coming to the conclusion that the opposite state must therefore be untrue to him should he have answered yes. The question is flawed and it brings a flawed answer that people either unwittingly - or often willingly in the case of atheists - fail to see the nuances of.

An agnostic may not profess any belief in god, but that doesn't equal not believing in its truest sense, it's more of a hinterland where no term really applies. It means they skirt the debate of god's existence due to its unknowable nature and thus don't invest into any state of belief or not. That's not quite the same as a definitive "no", even if the term drawn out of them might match the letters.

The way the mind processes such things as beliefs is much more complicated than an on/off switch. It's never the end.

The term atheist is a problematic one. But a person who lives their life without an active belief in any god unquestionably falls under that umbrella, irrespective of whether they have thought about it or are even aware of the concept.

It's like how cows are still vegetarians, even though they're not au fait with the moral arguments around eating meat.