You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you think challenging for the top 4, this season, is realistic?

Kevin D

86 members have voted

1. 1. ..

Yes, for the reasons already given; especially the fact that any kind of a run in last season would have overtaken the mancs, who remain listless shite.

Klopp is worth at least 6 points to us, that's all it will take. If we had any kind of legitimate goal threat coming from Lallana, Milner, Henderson, et al. I'd say it was guaranteed.

I think so , with the possible new signings in January and the current players having to up their game to keep in Klopps plans , why not. However I expect it'll be tighter than ever from 6th to 3rd place.Remember when 4th place was after a not to good season but a place in the Fairs/ UEFA cup , but this is now and I reckon we'll be near enough this season and better in the next.

Think we'll be in the mix come the end. Or at least we should be.

But I worry we'll choke when it matters.

That may just be a hangover from the Rodger's era though and Klopp will help change the squad's mentality enough for them to win the crucial games of which I'm sure there will be a few around April/May. 

73 points is about the mark isn't it...

We have 17 from 11 - so we need 56 from 27 - a pretty big ask.

We play Man Utd and Arsenal back to back at home in January - I feel these two games and the fact they are back to back will be pivotal....lose both we are in trouble for my money - win both we are set fair, or not lose both would be alright -the possible momentum or possible knock from those two could be massive.

Just over 2 points a game for rest of season is what is needed - it is 50/50 in my book, a good window in Jan might swing it as I don't think this squad is good enough as it is even with a world class boss.

Agreed . Were unlikely to get a goalscorer in January and baring Sturridge doing a Lazarus we will need one 

It would have been a nailed on certainty if the owners didn't stupidly let Rodgers waste the summer window, pre season and early months of the season.

It's still possible cause everyone else is a bit shit too.  Either way it won't be long till we're regulars in the champions league and this time we won't be throwing games against Real Madrid or anyone else.

• Upvote 1

He needs time as he seeks to thrust Liverpool back into the elite and Klopp was exasperated when he was asked about finishing in the top four. They are only four points behind Manchester United. “Oh,” he said. “I can’t believe that England is so impatient!”

He spotted Clattenburg walking past at that very moment. “They are asking me about the top four,” Klopp said to the referee. “Welcome to England,” Clattenburg replied.

• Upvote 1

It's a realistic aim. Beyond Man City, Arsenal, Man U and Chelsea all have their problems to varying degrees.

Although I am a critic of FSG, they should take credit for sacking Brendan in time and appointing someone up to the job of capitalising on this season's opportunity.

Think we'll be in the mix come the end. Or at least we should be.

But I worry we'll choke when it matters.

That may just be a hangover from the Rodger's era though and Klopp will help change the squad's mentality enough for them to win the crucial games of which I'm sure there will be a few around April/May. 

we've done it in the past few seasons so I hear where you are coming from, but after only 3 weeks, I'm struggling to imagine a team managed by Klopp choking anything other than the opposition.

• Upvote 2

Definitely reasonable to have expectations of a top 4 finish, but we will need to buy more goals in January. We currently have two strikers that look like they will struggle to complete 38 games between them and a third choice striker who looks like he would struggle to score more than a handful if he played in all of them.

Entirely realistic.

Who else is a dead cert for 4th? - nobody.

Moreover, it's still early days, and people are assuming the top 3 is a done deal, but I don't think it is. All three of City, Arsenal and United have potential slip-ups in them, and whilst all three won't slip-up, one of them may do. Given that, I think someone could still do better than 4th. 

I usually back Arsenal to slip up, but if they fail to get out of the group in the CL then they could maintain momentum for once and actually challenge. There tends to be a fortnight in about February when they struggle to juggle a key CL game and other fixtures, where the wheels come off their season before a late rally to pinch another top four spot. A few less fixtures of note could really help them this season.