You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

FSG are not shit

Dave D

27 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who would we have bought if they wanted to win - understanding that is always going to be mainly from player sales?

Someone who scored more than Salah?

Better at the back than Van Dijk?

We were in for Fekir this summer, who frankly looks like the missing piece right now, or someone of that ilk. People will argue we wouldn't have bought Alisson this summer had we signed Fekir and then not having a good keeper would be the missing piece. Maybe we would have maybe we wouldn't. No one has the knowledge to answer that. 

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Who would we have bought if they wanted to win - understanding that is always going to be mainly from player sales?

Someone who scored more than Salah?

Better at the back than Van Dijk?

Someone of actual quality to play in the front 3 so we can rest Salah, Mane or Bobby occasionally. A serious injury to any of them and we’re fucked. 

A competent CB that isn’t injury prone to play alongside VVD. 

You know, actually addressing obvious weaknesses in the squad. 

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We were in for Fekir this summer, who frankly looks like the missing piece right now, or someone of that ilk. People will argue we wouldn't have bought Alisson this summer had we signed Fekir and then not having a good keeper would be the missing piece. Maybe we would have maybe we wouldn't. No one has the knowledge to answer that. 

Just buy them all at once, buy them with the fruit of the money orchard.  Either that or we can sell the new Main Stand to Spurs. 

10 minutes ago, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

Just buy them all at once, buy them with the fruit of the money orchard.  Either that or we can sell the new Main Stand to Spurs. 

There you go again...

There’s a difference between David Moores levels of spending and wanting a criminal oil state level of spending. 

The fact you refuse to accept that highlights your bias. 

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp has been very specific with his targets since coming here. They have specific skill-sets and are pretty much all between 22-26 years old. We weren't going to find a front 3 player or CB who fit those requirements in January. I just don't believe that. 

We needed them in the summer. That’s the point. 

And Suarez, VVD, Sturridge and Coutinho all show you can buy quality in January. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

There you go again...

There’s a difference between David Moores levels of spending and wanting a criminal oil state level of spending. 

The fact you refuse to accept that highlights your bias. 

When did I refuse to accept that? What are you talking about? I've never mentioned criminals, I've not mentioned Moores. I fully accept there's a different between Moores and criminal oil states. It just doesn't have anything to do with me or anything I've said, so I didn't think I needed to overly chime in on that. 

1 minute ago, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

When did I refuse to accept that? What are you talking about? I've never mentioned criminals, I've not mentioned Moores. I fully accept there's a different between Moores and criminal oil states. It just doesn't have anything to do with me or anything I've said, so I didn't think I needed to overly chime in on that. 

You have said in this very thread it would take oil owners for the spending I would want. 

Just now, lifetime fan said:

We needed them in the summer. That’s the point. 

Just quoting this for next time you say you weren't saying we needed it all at once. We followed up buying VVD in January by spending 180m, breaking records along the way, and being the biggest spenders in the window. Yet that's not good enough, you wanted another CB and another attacker of quality. I mean, fucking hell. This would have lead to the biggest transfer window in the history of the sport. But no, it wouldn't take massive individual wealth and investment to match the types of City and PSG. Okay. 

The bottom line is, you can piss and moan and shout MOAR! but it's real money, a real business, with really massive costs. 

5 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You have said in this very thread it would take oil owners for the spending I would want. 

Nah. I said we'd need owners on the scale of City and PSG. Nothing to do with criminal oil states. I'm talking about owners with the spending power. 

Tell you what... here's an easy way of testing it. Which owners in the premier league would you prefer to have over ours? 

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You think if we had bought Fekir instead of Shaqiri he would have slotted right in immediately and we would have bettered our record total of points ever?

He would have been involved in more than 10 goals with a couple game winners thrown in halfway through the season?

Some player this Fekir

Where did I say we would've bought Fekir instead of Shaqiri? We would've gotten both. The reason we got Shaqiri was because he had a relegation clause and his price was very reasonable, not because he was a secondary target to Fekir. With both, we'd have had more than adequate depth up front and an extra difference maker. You have a tendency to infer things I don't say. 

6 minutes ago, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

Nah. I said we'd need owners on the scale of City and PSG. Nothing to do with criminal oil states. I'm talking about owners with the spending power. 

Tell you what... here's an easy way of testing it. Which owners in the premier league would you prefer to have over ours? 

And my point, that I’ve made repeatedly, is I don’t want to be owned by a criminal oil state and I don’t want that level of spending. 

I do want more than £30m per season though. 

The fact FSG are one of the better owners amongst a shockingly piss poor selection means fuck all. 

Just now, lifetime fan said:

The fact FSG are one of the better owners amongst a shockingly piss poor selection means fuck all. 

In world football then? Who in world football would you prefer to be owner, obviously excluding City style investors (squillionaire owners that make massive investment outside of the income of the club).

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I do want more than £30m per season though. 

We do spend more than £30m a season. But let's look at the last year, as to avoid things like us being a club out of the CL, having a new manager that wanted to see what he had, etc. That's a quarter of a billion over the summer and winter just gone, having finished in the top four and finishing runner up in Europe. This wasn't enough for you as you wanted another quality striker and another first choice CB to partner VVD. That's another, 100m at least. That would be the biggest transfer window in history of the sport. Yet you get pissy when I say you're unrealistic in your expectations, falling back on 'yeah, 30m'. It's daft in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

We do spend more than £30m a season. But let's look at the last year, as to avoid things like us being a club out of the CL, having a new manager that wanted to see what he had, etc. That's a quarter of a billion over the summer and winter just gone, having finished in the top four and finishing runner up in Europe. This wasn't enough for you as you wanted another quality striker and another first choice CB to partner VVD. That's another, 100m at least. That would be the biggest transfer window in history of the sport. Yet you get pissy when I say you're unrealistic in your expectations, falling back on 'yeah, 30m'. It's daft in my opinion.

No it’s not daft when I’ve been saying for years we needed to improve the strength of the squad. 

Yoy can argue as much much as you like about what was spent last summer but that was as a result of failing to address issues for years. 

We’ve spent less than £30m a year under Klopp and it’s even less than that over FSG’s entire tenure. 

Thats a fact. A fact that has come back to bite us on the arse on numerous occasions. 

I think it’s daft and unrealistic. Keeping saying £30m does nothing to change my mind. Mainly because of how much I’ve seen us spend under Klopp (420m) in the last few seasons, and the types of players we’ve sold to make the money. It’s smart. 

I would like to know who in world footy youd sooner have that arent huge spenders from personal accounts. 

15 minutes ago, Slippin’ Jimmy said:

In world football then? Who in world football would you prefer to be owner, obviously excluding City style investors (squillionaire owners that make massive investment outside of the income of the club).

Believe it or not I’m not an expert in every owner in world football or every young potential world superstar. 

What I do know is these owners could and should be spending more money to win the big prizes. 

They could do so and still be making hundreds of millions on their investment. 

They'd rather not though, they’d rather be conservative and just ensure they make maximum profit for minimum risk. 

Winning is only a bonus to them not an objective. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Those daft facts. 

Are you suggesting the quarter of a billion we spent in the last year or so isn’t also a fact? You can spread it out to four years ago if it makes you happy. But it’s not a fact we spent 30m last season. In fact, it’s fudging things to make it look much worse. Which, again, is daft. 

One thing is for sure, Liverpool fans being Liverpool fans, we could well have filled every weakness in the squad with top quality last summer- we are only ever one draw to the likes of West Ham away from demanding an overhaul.      

• Upvote 1