You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Freedom of speech

banger

If you take the genetics line, you could just as easily argue it's mental illness, given the rates of kids that change their mind.

Someone who believes she's the Queen may be mentally ill - unless, genetically, she's the Queen.

Kids who "feel" they are in the wrong gender should be, initially, offered counselling, genetic tests and brain scans to determine which they genuinely are misgendered. Only then should there be any treatment offered, because only then can you know what's appropriate.

I think I'm right in saying that the majority of kids who "change their mind" after hormone treatment or surgery have been through a for-profit medical system, rather than a genuine healthcare system.

Not sure I follow the logic here...

There are women with Y chromosomes and intersex people but they are rare. Whatever trans people have that convinces them they're not their biological sex is in the brain. If it's in the brain, the causes are biopsychosocial, not purely genetics.

If you take the genetics line, you could just as easily argue it's mental illness, given the rates of kids that change their mind.

An alarmingly high percentage of transgender people have other mental health issues.

Like close to half have been diagnosed with mental problems of some kind, and over a third attempt suicide at some point.

I don't know whether it's a case of gender dysphoria being a mental illness and with that it carries a higher tendancies for others, or if the pressure/stigma around being transgender and not knowing how they fit into the world causes additional stress and that's what causes the problems.

Seems like it's a taboo subject to talk about or research though, making it more difficult to actually investigate and sort out.

There are women with Y chromosomes and intersex people but they are rare. Whatever trans people have that convinces them they're not their biological sex is in the brain. If it's in the brain, the causes are biopsychosocial, not purely genetics.

How do you define "their biological sex"?

The truth is that it's possible, for example, to be "biologically female" and have a cock and balls.

How do you define "their biological sex"?

The truth is that it's possible, for example, to be "biologically female" and have a cock and balls.

Biological sex is determined by which organs they use to reproduce. There are two biological sexes except in the rare case of intersex people. Changing the definition is introducing politics into science.

Biological sex is determined by which organs they use to reproduce. There are two biological sexes except in the rare case of intersex people. Changing the definition is introducing politics into science.

Surely chromosomes rather than organs.

• 9 months later...
On 21/03/2018 at 14:00, moof said:

What a ridiculous notion.

I wonder how quickly you’d jump to the defence of free speech if ‘the left-wing’ were making or excusing those “gas the Jews” comments.

On 21/03/2018 at 16:05, Strontium Dog said:

Look in the mirror if you want someone who applies double standards. I don't alter my beliefs for people I agree or disagree with.

giphy.gif

• 2 months later...

That's one of those stories where I suspect we're not getting the whole truth. He was sacked for gross misconduct and breach of the social media policy; the way he tells it, the Billy Connolly clip is all there is to it. Maybe he's telling the truth; after all, ASDA are cunts. Or maybe this is spreading as yet another bullshit "political correctness gone mad" story, just like a million previous bullshit ones. I don't know.  I'm reserving judgement. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sixtimes Dog said:

billy.png

I've not seen that story, but it looks like an Asda employee got sacked for sharing a video of Billy Connolly on Facebook, but Asda sold that DVD in their stores. If that's right, it's hilarious. What happened in the end, did he take them to court or something? 

35 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I've not seen that story, but it looks like an Asda employee got sacked for sharing a video of Billy Connolly on Facebook, but Asda sold that DVD in their stores. If that's right, it's hilarious. What happened in the end, did he take them to court or something? 

Not yet. That may still be an option, which may be why (as far as I've seen) ASDA are keeping schtum.

28 minutes ago, SasaS said:

How high up in Asda was he? Do they monitor all social media activities of all of their employees?

He was a meet and greet guy.  

People who also worked at Asda complained who then seemed to apply a blasphemy law. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So they ratted him out, the blasphemer. Serves him right.

They should have just put him in stocks in front of Asda instead of firing him though, so he can continue to meet and greet and keep his job. It would be more humane and also serve as a warning to other blasphemers.

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So they ratted him out, the blasphemer. Serves him right.

They should have just put him in stocks in front of Asda instead of firing him though, so he can continue to meet and greet and keep his job. It would be more humane and also serve as a warning to other blasphemers.

That's Asda vice.

59 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

He was a meet and greet guy.  

People who also worked at Asda complained who then seemed to apply a blasphemy law. 

No.

It's nothing to do with "blasphemy laws".   (Does the UK even have blasphemy laws?) He was sacked for breaking their Social Media Policy. 

(Whether or not ASDA were right to do that is a different question. )