You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: Suarez biting the hand that feeds him - again (ESPN article)

tlw content

suarez_460.jpg
by Dave Usher for ESPN

So Luis Suarez has belatedly apologised to Giorgio Chiellini. He's also apologised to "the entire football family" and vowed to the "public" that it will never happen again.

Presumably Liverpool FC, Brendan Rodgers and the fans who have all steadfastly stood behind him throughout all of his various problems are included under the umbrella of "the entire football family", but forgive me if I'm more than a little annoyed at his failure to apologise directly to the club and supporters that he has once again let down with his inexplicable antics.

The bite itself was bad enough, but the decision by Suarez, his advisors and Uruguay to adopt an "all or nothing" approach and completely deny the whole thing only made a bad situation worse from a Liverpool perspective. Liverpool and their supporters are the innocent party in this whole sorry affair, so some sort of public apology from Suarez to his employers would have been nice.

The ban probably was excessive (at least the sanctions that dragged Liverpool into something that they had absolutely no control over was), but this is a situation completely of the player's own making. If he doesn't bite an opponent and then embarrassingly try to deny it, none of this happens.

It's gone way beyond the bite for me now, though.That was not a deliberate, well thought out act, it was instinctive and I'd wager that even Suarez himself cannot explain how it happened. He bit Chiellini because he lost control, and when he loses control this is what he tends to do. He has a problem and he needs help dealing with that problem.

A split second loss of control may explain (though not excuse) the bite, but what has happened since has been far more calculating and self-serving. If anything, his conduct in the days that have followed the bite has been worse than the incident itself and this belated apology is simply insulting to Liverpool. It may as well have been printed on FC Barcelona headed notepaper, as it's obvious what the motivation behind it is. Liverpool reportedly had no idea the apology was coming and clearly neither did the President of Uruguay, who could have done with a quick heads up before he went on the offensive and insulted FIFA just a few hours before Suarez confessed.

Read the full article here

We wouldn't have stood by him had he been a youth team player with no potential. Or a reserve. Or some journeyman. We would have used it to bin him.

There's very little loyalty in sport. From either camp. Players use clubs and clubs use players and once the need is no longer, they get rid. That's the reality.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, I can understand the Uruguayan camps initial denial of what happened given they were desperate for him to carry on playing in the World Cup and any admission at that time would've blown what slim chance he had of not receiving a ban.

I am disappointed in him not referring to us directly at all in his apology though. Just some recognition that we, his employers and the people that have stood by him, have been stiffed over this would've been nice. 

We wouldn't have stood by him had he been a youth team player with no potential. Or a reserve. Or some journeyman. We would have used it to bin him.

There's very little loyalty in sport. From either camp. Players use clubs and clubs use players and once the need is no longer, they get rid. That's the reality.

It's not as simple as that. He owes us some loyalty for standing by him over the past 3/4 years and propelling him to the status of the best player in the world.

It's not as simple as that. He owes us some loyalty for standing by him over the past 3/4 years and propelling him to the status of the best player in the world.

I don't see it that way, and I don't imagine he does. We (the club) did it out of selfish necessity. If we didn't stand by him, there would have been plenty clubs to take him off our hands only to happily stand by him.

If he'd been some bit-part no-mark player, he would have been tossed out of the club pronto. Loyalty is a two way street and sports folk - on both sides of the ledger - only show it when it suits. To me, that's the reality of where sport is at.

Fans are a different thing. But if we're waiting for a personal Suarez apology we'll be waiting quite some time.

• Upvote 2

I don't see it that way, and I don't imagine he does. We (the club) did it out of selfish necessity. If we didn't stand by him, there would have been plenty clubs to take him off our hands only to happily stand by him.

If he'd been some bit-part no-mark player, he would have been tossed out of the club pronto. Loyalty is a two way street and sports folk - on both sides of the ledger - only show it when it suits. To me, that's the reality of where sport is at.

Fans are a different thing. But if we're waiting for a personal Suarez apology we'll be waiting quite some time.

I completely disagree. The fact that Kenny went so far beyond the call of duty to support him, to the point of personal ridicule, is enough to make this continued lack of respect to the club and it's fans completely unpalatable. Being the best player In the world doesn't give him carte Blanche to shit on us.

• Upvote 2

I completely disagree. The fact that Kenny went so far beyond the call of duty to support him, to the point of personal ridicule, is enough to make this continued lack of respect to the club and it's fans completely unpalatable. Being the best player In the world doesn't give him carte Blanche to shit on us.

Ok, so if I accept he's showing us disrespect. What do we do about it? Sell him?

Ok, so if I accept he's showing us disrespect. What do we do about it? Sell him?

If we can get a favourable deal, yeah I think it's time.

On a personal level I think a lot of people have had enough of him but on a completely pragmatic, sporting level we have to keep him.

His performance level will never drop and he's the best player I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt. That's why I reluctantly love him.

• Upvote 2

If we can get a favourable deal, yeah I think it's time.

On a personal level I think a lot of people have had enough of him but on a completely pragmatic, sporting level we have to keep him.

His performance level will never drop and he's the best player I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt. That's why I reluctantly love him.

Good post.

I personally want to keep him at all costs; he's irreplaceable in my eyes. But I can see the argument for getting shot at the right price.

Some serious fucking bellends posting comments on that article.

Fucking unreal. I couldn't believe some of the shite that was posted but then the majority appeared to be from Bitters so we shouldn't be to surprised. 

They fucking do like reading about Liverpool though.

Why is anybody surprised?

Loyalty is dead in football. Dont forget that Gerrard was a whisker away from signing for Chelsea not too long ago and that has been quickly forgotten by fans due to his on field performances.

Its a charade where fans have become merely a paying customer with little say on where or what their money is spent on.

Good post.

I personally want to keep him at all costs; he's irreplaceable in my eyes. But I can see the argument for getting shot at the right price.

Rewind 5 years and there were plenty of people said the same about a certain number 9. Reality is, we've moved on, got better, and he didn't. Saurez could be the same, at the moment the team is built around his ability.

Barca have Messi and neymar, on paper that looks frightening, reality could be that three egos don't mix.

I love the guy, but I learned with Torres, that players come and go. The club still stands.

If the club, manager etc decide to move him on, and bring in someone else then so be it.

Rewind 5 years and there were plenty of people said the same about a certain number 9. Reality is, we've moved on, got better, and he didn't. Saurez could be the same, at the moment the team is built around his ability. Barca have Messi and neymar, on paper that looks frightening, reality could be that three egos don't mix. I love the guy, but I learned with Torres, that players come and go. The club still stands. If the club, manager etc decide to move him on, and bring in someone else then so be it.

Yep, you're right.

Save for a two or three year period recently, since I can remember, we've always had great strikers. And I mean great strikers.

There's another lurking just round the corner.

Some serious fucking bellends posting comments on that article.

It's the fucking internet mate. Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellen could die in a car crash together and there'd be some idiot writing about what a pair of cunts they were. Takes real bravery to post shit anonymously on the web, dontchaknow

This is starting to make me think that plenty of Mancs must have felt like this about Ronaldo. He's obviously a great player but it's clear he wants to leave, and he can be quite a twat when he wants to be.

I just hope this doesn't drag on for two more months. I'm starting to like Barcelona less by the day as well because there's just a sense that they're going to really try taking the piss over the coming weeks and it probably isn't going to be much fun. They should probably know already that they're not going to get him cheap though if it happens.

I just hope this doesn't drag on for two more months. I'm starting to like Barcelona less by the day as well because there's just a sense that they're going to really try taking the piss over the coming weeks and it probably isn't going to be much fun. They should probably know already that they're not going to get him cheap though if it happens.

This is where the danger lies, what is Brendan planning for?

1. Suarez, and the ban.

2. Suarez cash to spend?

3. Cash and Sanchez?

4. An eleventh hour deal, Suarez cash, but no time to spend it?

All are possible. All have significantly different impacts on Brendan's plans.

This is where the danger lies, what is Brendan planning for?

1. Suarez, and the ban.

2. Suarez cash to spend?

3. Cash and Sanchez?

I think this is why we've been quick to start negotiating.

In the next week or so we should find out if Sanchez really won't come here and how much Barca can/will pay.

I can't see number 4 being a possibility though. Even if Barca agree to pay the release fee at the eleventh hour, we'd have to agree to a payment plan, and there's little chance they could pay it all up front, so we could always stymie a deal that left us without time to buy any replacements.

Then there's the small matter of Barca wanting to get business done early. It's a risky strategy for them to hold onto enough cash for the Suarez deal, knowing that if anything goes wrong they may not be able to sign him or anyone else until Jan 2016.

The last one has to be a complete no. The owners were here for the last time that almost happened and it clearly didn't go too well for a big part, if they allowed it to happen again it could be on par with Luis biting for the second time. I'm guessing that this will get ugly pretty quickly, (probably starting with fairly regular arrogant statements from Barcelona staff, players, and maybe even Luis as well.) but it might at least be resolved sooner that way.

There's a several years old thread on him on these Barcelona forums too, seems pretty mixed, with quite a few angry at the thought of Sanchez leaving : http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/546-Luis-Suarez/page383?s=e0ed1571dcfde560fea5e3af02200185

Sorry have been mostly avoiding the media and didn't check, just saw on those Barca forums that the Guardian have already written about us starting to negotiate. Maybe this will actually work out quite well after all. (compared to what it could've gone like.)

underneath the football genius is an egotistical little prick, maybe that's what drives him on to be as good as he is.

• Upvote 1