You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

Really? I'm wilfully ignorant on their internal dealings, but I would have thought - and hoped -  that the Glazers are still more Hicks/Gillett than spendthrift oligarchs?

They are more H&G, than H&G themselves, but those cunts are on a different financial level to pretty much every other club on earth in terms of generating cash. H&G would still be here now if we had manc levels of revenue. The only way they were forced to leave, is because we couldn't afford debt payments of £20-30m per year, the manc revenue has increased by 6 million each month during the last season, and that's been in a rough year for them.

Basically, without the glazers they would be the richest club in the world under FFP, despite the fact that City, PSG etc all have the wealthiest owners.

There's no reason that they shouldn't have massive spending potential, but it could take time for an entirely new midfield and back line to settle. To me their potential signings look to be a massive improvement on what they have, some like Robben and Fabregas even have stacks of Premier League experience, but the unknown factor is how quickly they can settle, revolution being harder than evolution. It's disappointing to me that we're not contesting for these types of players, mainly due to our perception of value. In fairness it didn't do us any harm last year but long-term I strongly doubt we can improve enough to regularly fight for titles.

people seem to be clutching at straws as fars as the mancs go, if they spend the type of money that is being bandied around in the media for the level of player they are apparently targeting then they will be a force next year.

as for us we hear a few stories in the media linking us to the same players we have for the last few years and take it as gospel.

i seriously doubt that Utd can afford to spend the 150-200m that is being reported as that would equate to about 6 years profit from their holding company, and the one thing the glazers are in it for is the money.

Looks like kroos is close to joining the mancs.

Rumored price of 20mill. If we don't make a move for him at that price, we are stupid.

We're not gonna chuck £200k+ a week at him though.

Neither should we be.

• Upvote 2

people seem to be clutching at straws as fars as the mancs go, if they spend the type of money that is being bandied around in the media for the level of player they are apparently targeting then they will be a force next year.

as for us we hear a few stories in the media linking us to the same players we have for the last few years and take it as gospel.

i seriously doubt that Utd can afford to spend the 150-200m that is being reported as that would equate to about 6 years profit from their holding company, and the one thing the glazers are in it for is the money.

They had the Ronaldo money that lasted them a few years, and their spending has generally been 1 or 2 players a season under the final years off the watch tapping cunt. The estimate is that next year will see a loss in between £30-50m in terms of prize money, and that's not something they will allow to go on indefinitely. 

Their value was around £2b last time I saw it mentioned, but good old Moyesy wiped a fortune off that single handedly, so spending £150m to get them back into the CL, and increase their potential sale value is actually decent business sense. If they don't do it, then it remains to be see how costly chasing the CL will be for them, but even with their massive debts, they are still in a stronger position than all but 5/6/7 clubs in world football.

Have the mancs even bloody signed Kroos yet? They've been signing him since Christmas.

They've been shite this year so instead of briefing the media about how ace they've been, they're talking about how much money they've got and how they're buying everyone in western Europe so they can still act like the biggest fish in the pond, the fucking cunts. They may well sign a few players - and a few good players as well - but they're as much linking themselves with everyone to try and stay relevant as they are rebuilding the squad.

• Upvote 1

Guardian are now saying van gaal has stopped utds move for kroos.

There must be good reason for it, he maybe has someone better in mind. Like I said before though, fuck them. We should focus on what we're doing instead, so we can have a good chance of defeating whatever bunch of gimps they have lined up against us next season.

This is why I loathe the idea of us trying to bid for players just because other teams are going for them too, we should have our own plans in mind for exactly what we need and stick to them. We already have a great side, we just need more depth and to refine things.

Jumping in way late on this, but I'm not sure I get all the hate towards Bony. Dude scored 25 goals in all competitions last season, sure some from the spot. He's massive in the air for only being 5'9'' (edit: apparently 6', even fucking better) and I don't care where he shoots from he has a habit of hitting the back of the net. 

There were a lot of games last season where we didn't have a forward to hold the ball up, and games where the bus (read: buses) were parked and we didn't have an answer. I know he's not the sexiest transfer rumour, but we could do far worse. 

• Upvote 1