You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which refs do you dislike the most?

WhiskeyJar

Most Hated Refs  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Which refs do you dislike the most?

OK, accepted. But these things are all said in the heat of the moment after a loss. The most ridiculous, emotive time to interview. For the manager, mind. Great for the media and the soundbite culture, of course.

But do you ever hear managers talking about corruption at their weekly presser? If they genuinely thought a ref was corrupt, and they were on the receiving end, would they just sit around and accept it? Or yell from the rooftops?

Why does no-one break the story? It'd be massive.

As others have alluded to there's no apetite for change within English football, and when the odd person does come out and say something they're accused of cracking up (see Benitez exapmple).  It would take a large section of the media, and someone within the FA, to take a stance just to get the ball rolling - but they won't because they're riding the gravy train too.

And I've seen several posters offer corruption theories but you refuse to accept they're plausible, so why even enter the debate?

And I've seen several posters offer corruption theories but you refuse to accept they're plausible, so why even enter the debate?

In what thread are these theories? And what's your theory, Moo?

And it wouldn't take a large section of the media at all. It would be a massive, massive story. If only one journo had evidence, he would break the story straight away. STRAIGHT away.

But it's just not Liverpool fans. Look on any forum of any club and they all have similar theories about bias and corruption against their team.

So maybe I am wrong. Maybe it's all a big cover up.

OK.

I've gotten into the debate on here before about the authorities favouring Utd; helping them to win and the like. Seems that theory might be coming to an end.

I shouldn't really enter these threads. It just ends up a slanging match when I don't buy into the argument.

Not sure if that's you admitting there may have been some truth to it, or saying it was never the case.  But if their change of 'luck' this season gives weight to either argument it's surely the former.

In what thread are these theories? And what's your theory, Moo?

And it wouldn't take a large section of the media at all. It would be a massive, massive story. If only one journo had evidence, he would break the story straight away. STRAIGHT away.

But it's just not Liverpool fans. Look on any forum of any club and they all have similar theories about bias and corruption against their team.

So maybe I am wrong. Maybe it's all a big cover up.

There's that word again. 

What kind of paper trail do you imagine there'd be based on the theories offered up? I mean for goodness sake, a handful of refs have already come out and spoke about keeping on Ferguson's good side when he was manager of MUFC for fear of the consequences to their own standing.  What would you call that if not corrupt?

No, I can't. I don't particularly mind, though. If anyone had anything remotely plausible, they would surely pipe up. But they never do, so I am not sure they have. That's three people in this thread alone (you, moo and matt) who have stated referee corruption and when pushed they have shied away from the debate. It happens every time this comes up.

But, you can put it down to me being close minded if you like. I don't care a jot.

I didn't mention it. You mentioned it. It's a convoluted debate that I didn't want to enter into before I went out, as I explained. We can talk about it all you like,now,if you like.

Because they no longer fear the malign influence of Ferguson, they're no longer scared of making big decisions against them for fear of the recriminations.

I too agree with this. There is no doubt that WhiskyNose has/had great influence within the FA. This in turn influences decisions in any game United play during his reign.

Kevin Firend is a fraud of a referee, i swear ive not seen him ref a game without at least 2 big wrong calls. Terrible

Webb is just average, he has a tendecy of bottling big decisions in big games. He is nowhere near being the best ref in the country. But i think he has been championed because he is a copper and also because he bears a passing resemblance to Collina who is well respected.

Always thought Martin Atkinson was a decent Ref.

I think because of televisions now in depth technology, we can all see up close what is really happening and the likes of webb, dowd and a few others, should realise this, webb's world cup is another graham poll waiting to happen.

But you have to accept referees make these decisions in good faith. They give a penalty because they thought it was a penalty. If Webb - or whoever - came out on TV and said "I didn't give Suarez a penalty because I thought a) he dived or; b ) Chamberlain got the ball or; c) I was unsighted" would it change anything? No, it wouldn't, I don't believe. You'd still think Webb was inept.

And if you (like Jairzinho) don't accept they are making decisions in good faith but are, in fact, corrupt, why does no-one say anything about it? If people are sitting there watching games - albeit at the ground or on TV - and it's obvious to them the referee is bent, surely it would be obvious to the players and managers. And pundits. And authorities. But you don't hear a thing from any of the them. Not even rumours, innuendo, hearsay or the like. Not even one whistleblower. Why not? Are they all in on it? It doesn't make sense to me.

are you serious? ever heard of libel laws, a few managers have copped fines for even hinting that ref's are maybe bent, if webb was in court to explain his arsenal penalty decision and you were on the jury and he said it was a simple mistake with no agenda, would you believe him, in the light of several similar incidents with him involving liverpool, this guy has an agenda and the fact that he was with the south yorkshire police at hillsboro' makes me even more suspicious, he and referreing liverpool should be kept well apart. 

Anyone called 'Lee'. It's a fact that anyone called 'Lee' is destined to be either a bent policeman or a bad referee. Or a really irritating bloke in an office. I'm just surprised that Howard Webb wasn't called Lee Webb. Maybe he thinks it would  make him sound French.

But you have to accept referees make these decisions in good faith. They give a penalty because they thought it was a penalty. If Webb - or whoever - came out on TV and said "I didn't give Suarez a penalty because I thought a) he dived or; b ) Chamberlain got the ball or; c) I was unsighted" would it change anything? No, it wouldn't, I don't believe. You'd still think Webb was inept.

And if you (like Jairzinho) don't accept they are making decisions in good faith but are, in fact, corrupt, why does no-one say anything about it? If people are sitting there watching games - albeit at the ground or on TV - and it's obvious to them the referee is bent, surely it would be obvious to the players and managers. And pundits. And authorities. But you don't hear a thing from any of the them. Not even rumours, innuendo, hearsay or the like. Not even one whistleblower. Why not? Are they all in on it? It doesn't make sense to me.

I don't believe any refs are corrupt in a brown envelope kind of way, I honestly don't.

I do think that their decisions can be swayed by their liking of a team or a manager. They're humans, and like a bit of flattery.

I also do not believe the standard of refereeing has dropped, I just think the standard of Marty arsed cheating players has got higher, making it more difficult, what with the 109 angles and the 64 pundits who can't do the job moaning about them.

Yes refs piss me off, but there is not one player who could do their job. Many grumble, none have grasped the nettle and gone into the job as a professional. (None I know off before some tit gets google on the go)

I agree with most of that, Rambo.

I personally think refs are human. They will favour the home team; the stronger team; the stronger - more vocal -  manager; the better - more well known - players. They won't do this consciously but I think they will do it. They will also have preconceived ideas on things: Suarez diving, other players making rash tackles etc etc and make their decisions accordingly. Not great but in the acceptable parameters of being human, in my view

I definitely don't believe PL refs are corrupt. I'm just not sure how that would work, really.