You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

v Norwich (h)

Gym Beglin

Perhaps, with a decent midfield behind him capable of retaining possession.

Further up he'd be expected to pressure more consistently, and sprint into the area even if he's not going to receive the ball, i just can't see that happening for 90 minutes, only Luis' got the energy levels to maintain that, even Sturridge and Coutinho wilt.

When he's deeper the majority of his movement is at half pace, with the occasional burst to get in a last ditch tackle; most fit athletes of his calibre should be able to keep that up.

Yes, and that is the problem really.

Mignolet is a given and Sakho has to play, probably with Skrtel.  Johnson will play obviously and I think Flano hasn't done anything wrong to deserve to be dropped.

Lucas is our only real holding midfielder but it's time either him or Gerrard were dropped.  If you want to play Hendo deeper and keep Gerrard then fine, but Gerrard and Lucas cannot play as a midfield 2 - their engine (lack off) means that we get overrun in midfield every fucking game.  I'd prefer Gerrard to be dropped but not many will agree as he's Steven Gerrard aka Captain fucking Hollywood.

We look useless going forward without Coutinho so he should start, I'd like to see Luis Alberto and Coutinho behind Suarez.  They're both very creative and aren't scared of getting on the ball and trying things.  We would obviously be pretty narrow, but our wingers are dog shit anyway.

Mignolet - Johnson Skrtel Sakho Flano - Lucas Hendo Allen - Alberto Coutinho Suarez.

Mignolet is a given and Sakho has to play, probably with Skrtel.  Johnson will play obviously and I think Flano hasn't done anything wrong to deserve to be dropped.

Lucas is our only real holding midfielder but it's time either him or Gerrard were dropped.  If you want to play Hendo deeper and keep Gerrard then fine, but Gerrard and Lucas cannot play as a midfield 2 - their engine (lack off) means that we get overrun in midfield every fucking game.  I'd prefer Gerrard to be dropped but not many will agree as he's Steven Gerrard aka Captain fucking Hollywood.

We look useless going forward without Coutinho so he should start, I'd like to see Luis Alberto and Coutinho behind Suarez.  They're both very creative and aren't scared of getting on the ball and trying things.  We would obviously be pretty narrow, but our wingers are dog shit anyway.

Mignolet - Johnson Skrtel Sakho Flano - Lucas Hendo Allen - Alberto Coutinho Suarez.

I'd have Gerrard ahead of Alberto. The young kid hasn't settled yet. But I agree with the midfield 3 and using Gerrard more forward. We haven't got much choice really, unless Aspas can hack it. Wish we could drop Johnson, but he might show up for a home game; and if Toure is fit, I'd pair him with Sakho. No more keystone cops, please:

Mignolet - Johnson Toure Sakho Flano - Lucas Hendo Allen - Gerrard Coutinho Suarez.

Back to 352, even though I'm not a fan of it. With the hodge podge we've got that will provide a platform for fixing most of our problems.

------------------------Ming

-------Skrtel / Toure Sakho Agger

--Johnson---------------------Cissohko

-----------Lucas Allen

------------Coutinho

------------Gerrard

-------------Suarez

You're compensating for Sturridge being out. You're providing enough cover for Cissohko, so he can focus on the far superior attacking side of his game. Gerrard is close to goal and in a role that means he has a lighter workload, and hence more energy for those decisive bursts. You don't have to watch johnson punting from deep up to a lone striker. One of the CBs can safely step into midfield if things get sticky there. And Lucas, Allen and Coutinho are smart enough to compensate for sacrificing Henderson's energy.

Coach it well enough so that it doesn't turn into a 532 as soon as we face any pressure and we might just start realizing the potential of the players we have.

The Mig. 

Johnson, Toure or Skrtel, Sakho, Cissokho

Allen, Gerrard and Henderson.

Coutinho

Suarez and Alberto/Aspas. 

Flanagan doesn't offer enough going forward for me, although there are serious doubts over Cissokho defensively too. We're stuck with what we've got. 

Allen plays the holding role and does the leg work. Lucas is fucked.

I'd have Gerrard in the team at the moment purely for his set pieces plus we don't have any adequate replacements, of which I blame Rodgers for not addressing. 

Suarez plays better with a partner ahead of him so Aspas and Alberto are all we have to offer. One of those two should get the opportunity. 

I'd have Ibe and McLaughlin on the bench too. Both have something to offer and the seniors aren't doing enough to keep them out. 

In general footballers arent the brightest. You have a few exceptions like Alonso who can cope with altering tactics and take it in their stride.

Rodgers needs to stick with one system. Have the balls to tell Gerrard that he needs to play further up the pitch and keep a consistent back four.

Johnsons last 2 performances have been unacceptable. The arrogance/nonchalance he shows pisses me off, he thinks hes fuckin Messi , the ball he gave away in the Derby just before Lucas concedes the foul on the 2nd equaliser was as bad as Moses' yesterday for me, a little nonchalant fuckin chipped pass that he didn't connect with, but people have a go at Hendo for losing it just before with a volleyed pass on the Halfway line or Lucas giving the free kick away. But this cunt seems to get away with it week in/week out. There were other bad moments from him in that game too. His attitude is terrible at the minute, he shit out of a challenge in Hulls half yesterday that would have been his, giving them possession. He gets an easy ride off most of our fans, "but hes good going forward" they say, no he isn't, he might look good until it comes to the final ball & he fucks up or loses possession by trying too much & then getting caught out of position. Anway hes a fuckin Defender & a fuckin shit one at that IMO. Give me an Arbeloa  type player over this shyster everyday.

More like he is sulking over the contract at the end of the season. FSG wont pay the huge wage he is on and offered him less money. He apparently has said no to a drop in wages.

Not saying this is why he has been shite last two games , but I am saying the timing of him going shite is around the same time his contract was mentioned.

He apparently has said no to a drop in wages.

Whatever the reason, he's been a disgrace. Rather than start him, I wouldn't even have him on the bench. I'd get a kid from the reserves, tell him he's starting at Anfield Wed. night and tell him to run himself into the fucking ground, stay between our byline and midfield and if he has any doubts either launch the ball forward or into the stands. Just never stop running.

• Downvote 1

Johnson is a black, right footed Enrique. One game he's like an English Dani Alves, the next it's as if the ghost of Paul Konchesky is still lingering around like a bad, bald smell and possessing our full-backs. 

If we could get somewhere close to 10 million for him I'd go for it. Sounds like Montoya wants to stay at Barca but wants more game-time, maybe we could loan him and asses the situation in the summer and spend any money we get for Johnson on a midfielder 

Johnson is another example of our muddled transfer policy. If we were not prepared to get rid during the last window leave it till next summer.

Making noise about not paying him his wages and then sending Ian Ayre over barcalona on a futile mission to sign a replacement when we need our current players to stay on the top of their game to finish in the top four this season is not really the smartest of moves.

Guest San Don

More like he is sulking over the contract at the end of the season. FSG wont pay the huge wage he is on and offered him less money. He apparently has said no to a drop in wages.Not saying this is why he has been shite last two games , but I am saying the timing of him going shite is around the same time his contract was mentioned.

Why fucking mention it then!?

He's just as likely to be playing shit over his pending driving ban isn't he? Johnson is vastly overrated. He can't fucking defend which is a major flaw for a defender!

Why fucking mention it then!?

He's just as likely to be playing shit over his pending driving ban isn't he? Johnson is vastly overrated. He can't fucking defend which is a major flaw for a defender!

I agree Johnson's overrated, however he is a good full back. Enriques a far better player I think, although not as composed on the ball, he's stronger, faster, has more energy and always gives absolutely 100% anytime he pulls on the shirt.

More like he is sulking over the contract at the end of the season. FSG wont pay the huge wage he is on and offered him less money. He apparently has said no to a drop in wages.

Not saying this is why he has been shite last two games , but I am saying the timing of him going shite is around the same time his contract was mentioned.

Lesson hopefully learned: Don't enter difficult contract negotiations during the early season. If you want to put a gun to a player's head, do it in May.

I'd drop Gerrard. I don't think he's finished or anything, but he needs to rest more often these days. See if the team flows any better without him taking most of the dead balls and demanding possession constantly before running about slowly and giving the ball away.