You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal vs Liverpool - what formation/squad to go with?

Gym Beglin

I just watched the game again. Everything was so fucking predictable, except for the bizarre addition of Flanagan -Wenger must have laughed when he saw the team sheet.

It was a 6 point game and we were pathetic. Earlier, in the pre-match part of this thread, I suggested starting Allen in place of Gerrard and bringing on the latter as an impact sub. This based on watching us get overrun in every game but one this season. We got exactly what most people expected. The most unbelievable thing to me was hearing Rodgers say that he started Flanagan rather than break up the system. Muse on that for a moment. Absolutely fucking clueless.

We'll be fighting the bitters for 6th place as there is zero chance we'll get a result against top 4-5 sides using the same fucking set-up and the same players.

As for help in January, we'd better hope we don't lose our only decent players - that would be Suarez and Sturridge.

• Upvote 3

Im amazed you say allen started superbly. You must be one of the few because everyone I've come across said he wasnt a 15 million player well before his shoulder injury.

Sorry, we'll have to disagree about Gerrard. The lad may not be a box to box player he once was (how much of that is down to the manager telling him how and where he wants him to play?) but he's still too influential to sub off. If a game is passing him by its a slam dunk its passing by most of the others in the team.

Anyway, the point is we were laboured yesterday as a team. We need to address that. Fulham is the next game which shouldnt cause us problems (hopefully!) but the game at the shite most certainly is one we cannot afford to lose.

Sorry San Don but your Allen comments are simply not true. Allen was one of, if not, our best player against man city, west brom and arsenal last season before his shoulder injury.

Allen may not be a world beater but he controls the ball well in tight spaces, can turn and find space with the ball and rarely gives the ball away.

This is imo a good article on Allen and he can bring to the team,

http://eplindex.com/33712/why-joe-allen-can-still-be-key-liverpool-stats-analysis.html

Definitely not writing Allen off, but based on performance from the WBA game, no one really deserved to be dropped. Just like the CBs, all is playing so well and Agger got to sit on the bench. 

The current midfield is being asked to do too much with who is there. Only Henderson can press effectively with Lucas to certain extent, Gerrard is just too old for that.

The wing back aren't even together in the midfield, especially Cissoko who is always sprinting at full speed from the halfway line when the ball is played into the left wing position. This just shows how deep he is playing.

For the next game, i believe we will see some change in the line-up with Coutinho back and hopefully a back 4. Maybe Allen will get his game too?   

this isn't working. The players nor the system.

The league table shows us joint second after a quarter of a season - not bad for players and a system that isn't working.

When you look at the squad, fifth or sixth is about our level.Perhaps Rodger's has us overperforming, not underperforming?

The league table shows us joint second after a quarter of a season - not bad for players and a system that isn't working.

When you look at the squad, fifth or sixth is about our level.Perhaps Rodger's has us overperforming, not underperforming?

Or could you look at the fixtures we've had, and the manner of some of our victories. If we finish 3rd in May then he'll have had us overperforming.

-----------------Mignolet------------------

Johnson--KT/MS----Sakho--Enrique-

------------LL/JA---Henderson----------

-----------------Gerrard-------------------

----Suarez---Sturridge---Coutinho---

Worth a try.

Or could you look at the fixtures we've had, and the manner of some of our victories. If we finish 3rd in May then he'll have had us overperforming.

Our problem over the last few years has been dropping points against the lower teams.  Good teams play shite and take 3 points. We are not perfect but credit is due to rodgers. We just need to do better now against the bigger teams.

Henderson is fucking average at best. When he's not on top of his game, he's fucking garbage.

All my predictions came true. And now we're going to pul things apart based on a loss, in shitty conditions, away to the team at the top of the table, great...

352 stopped working because the two most important aspects of a 352, the full backs, were injured, and the person who should should be running the show in midfield was on the bench.

And now we're going to dismantle 352, and castigate Henderson, and we've backed ourselves into a corner. So fucking short sighted.

I want Suarez and Sturridge split up, it's not sustainable to play like this.

• Upvote 1

Henderson is fucking average at best. When he's not on top of his game, he's fucking garbage.

He was better than Lucas and Gerrard.  But yeah let's bash Henderson!

and copying from another thread:

Aaron Ramsey:

Previously = 91 games - 5 goals

This Season = 7 games - 6 Goals

I judge players over a long time, not 7 games. Henderson is a much better player and a few goals won't change that.

I think you’re Henderson and I claim my 5 cent.

I think you’re Henderson and I claim my 5 cent.

I like Henderson, that's an old quote and those stats are correct at the time.

I have acknowledged Ramsey has been superb this season and he has been the best centre midfielder in the league.

Henderson was the least of our problems yesterday.  He was about the only player who was pressing and you can't press alone, it has to be collectively otherwise it doesn't work.

Lucas and Gerarrd - two players who I have defended a lot on here this season, really struggled vs Arsenal and their movement / energy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think stylistically Arsenal are all wrong for us and we're really tailor made for them, as we are against Spurs flying wingers, so losing to them is kind of inevitable and I don't read to much into it, personally.

We have accrued a lot more points than I thought we would at this stage; pretty interesting to see what happens, now, over the next six weeks now we're playing proper teams. It might define Rodgers' reign.

So you don’t judge after 7 games but after 10 games suddenly this is now a long time? hmmmmm, your postings seems to be as inconsistent as Henderson’ games.

I thought it was an older post you quoted.

Can I not like both players?  Can I also not change my opinion - I have said I was wrong about Ramsey.

But I still rate Henderson highly.

I should also say I am not an Arsenal fan, I don't watch all of their games and from what I saw of Ramsey last season, I thought he was average.  This season he has been superb, credit where it is due.  But anyone compared to Ramsey this season looks worse, as he has been the best player in the league so far.

I should also say I am not an Arsenal fan, I don't watch all of their games and from what I saw of Ramsey last season, I thought he was average.  This season he has been superb, credit where it is due.  But anyone compared to Ramsey this season looks worse, as he has been the best player in the league so far.

This is why we should be patient with the players. Who knows when will Henderson or Allen's season come. Arsenal's waiting on Ramsey paid off, i hope ours on Henderson will also one day

If Ramsey was for sale, the likes of City and Chelsea, the mancs would be all over it, try selling Henderson or Allen, you'd be lucky if anyone on in the top ten would be remotely interested and we'd lose money on the fee.

Henderson was at fault for the goal not tracking his man, he was utter, utter shite yesterday. The other two were a bit crap but they did their basic jobs in a formation that was always going to leave them at a disadvantage.

I think that demonstrates the stupidity of the question, I dont rate Ramsey myself but he is a class above those two albeit a different type of player. 

In relative terms, for his position Id rather have Gerrard and Coutinho to choose from but Rodgers doesnt play Gerrard in his best position due to his cm blindspot he has to hold him back cos all the other choices are mongs.

• Upvote 1

I fucking hate losing to these. Their fans are arrogant twats and they think they're the best team to ever play football when they win. It's like they invented it.

Unless they spend in Jan they're heading for a scrap for 3rd/4th, they don't have enough depth especially up front. Giroud was poor yesterday and there will be games when that will mean the difference. Hopefully they're at the top come Jan and don't spend and then it all goes to shit afterwards.

Unless they spend in Jan they're heading for a scrap for 3rd/4th

Doubt that. They're missing quite a few good players and are still 5 points clear. Plus they have the best manager in the league. Will take something to beat them out of winning the league, I think.

Rodgers needs to start thinking on his feet, and quick. He knew exactly what wengers game plan was and where arsenals strengths are and proceeded to walk straight into it.

Wenger was always going to set out and use their numerical advantage and quick passing to control the game and stifle our forwards of ball and that's exactly what he did. He then hoped his goal scoring midfielders would exploit the space and grab a couple, and ramsey and carzola didn't disappoint. It was like taking candy from a fucking baby. Sadly so so predictable.

Nah mate it was the other way around . Wenger knew exactly what to expect after watching us against West Brom and was probably rubbing his hands at the thought of 3 at the back and Arse with an extra man in midfield, No fucking good Rodgers saying after the event we were poor in midfield, good managers get it right beforehand. No g'tees we would have got something from yesterdays game with an extra man in midfield but Rodgers is making far too many mistakes in his set up . I still dont get what he was trying to achieve against Southampton.  Lots of plus points about Rodgers but yesterday wasnt his finest hour... again.

Someone just got to get bashed if we lose any game LOL and some old habit just don't change you see. 

But to be honest, SAF's comment on Henderson really made me worried in some sense. After all SAF has more rights than wrongs in his words. 

• Downvote 1