You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Prog rock thread

moof

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm the opposite to Muddy , I lost interest when Gabriel left in the mid-70's. Still putting in for tickets tomorrow though.

The two albums they did after Gabriel left were prog gold (Trick of the Tale & Wind & Wuthering), Seconds Out is amazing too. Hackett leaving was the real killer blow.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mook said:

The two albums they did after Gabriel left were prog gold (Trick of the Tale & Wind & Wuthering), Seconds Out is amazing too. Hackett leaving was the real killer blow.

To be honest I really liked both of them , and had forgotten they were post-Gabriel.

Probably not too clever for my Punk/New Wave credentials at the time.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I'm the opposite to Muddy , I lost interest when Gabriel left in the mid-70's. Still putting in for tickets tomorrow though.

I seem to recall a big to-do about who they would bring in on lead vocals after Gabriel left; seems a bit daft now, considering Collins had already sung More Fool Me.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I saw them 3 times in the post-Gabriel era ...Abacab and Duke, and they were brilliant every time, Collins and Chester Thompson playing in unison was a sight to behold.. Once they got to I Cant Dance I just thought "this hasnt got anything to do with me". Didnt put in for tickets this time.

On 04/03/2020 at 20:43, Mook said:

I read somewhere that Banks wanted him out for whatever reason, I think Hackett said so. Daryl Stuermer and Rutherford did OK but he was better they missed him.

10 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

I read somewhere that Banks wanted him out for whatever reason, I think Hackett said so. Daryl Stuermer and Rutherford did OK but he was better they missed him.

Aye, I think Banks is a bit of a tit to be honest.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 1977, I heard a wonderful acoustic ballad called ‘Dust In The Wind’. As a young aspiring musician, it was one of those songs you grabbed your guitar to, and played along with the radio. A lovely piece to play and sing to. Reminded me of America.

So I bought the album, that the song was on. ‘Point Of Know Return’.

What I never bargained for, was getting a taste of America’s greatest Prog Rock band, Kansas, already by 1977, in it’s second incarnation.

FUCK ME THEY ARE GENIUS. What a history, and what a discography. They have to be one the best ever bands for live faithful reproduction of their vinyl sound. 

The original members re-incarnated 30 years later as ‘Proto Kaw’ and I can highly recommend a listen on Spotify or You tube etc.

Anybody else ever give them the time they deserve?

And one of my favourites ‘The Pinnacle’ live !!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Back in 1977, I heard a wonderful acoustic ballad called ‘Dust In The Wind’. As a young aspiring musician, it was one of those songs you grabbed your guitar to, and played along with the radio. A lovely piece to play and sing to. Reminded me of America.

What I never bargained for, was getting a taste of America’s greatest Prog Rock band, Kansas, already by 1977, in it’s second incarnation.

FUCK ME THEY ARE GENIUS. What a history, and what a discography. They have to be one the best ever bands for live faithful reproduction of their vinyl sound. 

The original members re-incarnated 30 years later as ‘Proto Kaw’ and I can highly recommend a listen on Spotify or You tube etc.

good band ...."Miracles Out Of Nowhere" from Leftoverture is a brilliant tune

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

Its fashionable not to like them but I dont care, this is my favourite Side 1 of ELP

Greg Lake has to have one of the richest silkiest coolest voices in the history of Rock, in my humble opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 02/04/2020 at 23:40, Red Shift said:

Carry on always reminds me of Southport, the Dixie and Midnight Lounge 77/ 78.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...