You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Simon Mignolet

Guest Numero Veinticinco
How many saves did Begovic make today that you wouldn't have expected him to? 1?

In any case, he's one of the best keepers in the league so it wasn't an unusually good performance.

It was the most saves he has ever made in one match, so he was especially good. I wanted Begovic over Mignolet, but happy with Mignolet at the moment.

It was the most saves he has ever made in one match, so he was especially good. I wanted Begovic over Mignolet, but happy with Mignolet at the moment.

I agree, i think Begovic has shown over the last few seasons that he's a top goalkeeper. And he was the one i wanted too, but i hope our scouts and GK coach have done a good job and decided Mignolet has greater potential.

Begovic was especially good today, he kept Stoke in the game. Without him they would have been fucked well before half time.

How many saves did Begovic make today that you wouldn't have expected him to? 1?

In any case, he's one of the best keepers in the league so it wasn't an unusually good performance.

I thought he had a great game but we all see things differently.

You sure this stat is true. Cause we had 26 shots, only managed 11 on target and one of those was cleared off the line. So ten saves at most. A terrible waste of chances on our behalf. Nothing new tho, been watching it for years.

The two saves from Henderson are the only good saves I remember him having. We make keepers look good, and have done for some time.

You sure this stat is true. Cause we had 26 shots, only managed 11 on target and one of those was cleared off the line. So ten saves at most. A terrible waste of chances on our behalf. Nothing new tho, been watching it for years.

The two saves from Henderson are the only good saves I remember him having. We make keepers look good, and have done for some time.

Off the top of my head there was a shot from Johnson (I think) at the far post from close range in the second half which was point blank, and the save from Gerrard's free kick, both of which were good saves.

Off the top of my head there was a shot from Johnson (I think) at the far post from close range in the second half which was point blank, and the save from Gerrard's free kick, both of which were good saves.

Johnson's was right at him, Johnson should have done better & since he had a clear sight of that free kick, I think most keepers would be disappointed to see it go past them from that distance.

He did have a decent game but when you see Enrique and Aspas one on one and hit it right at him instead of lifting the ball or aiming for the corner, then I don't credit the keeper. It's just rushed poor finishing. We need to improve here badly for you wont have 26 shots every match. Only putting 11 of those on target tells it's own story.

His two stops from Henderson were top drawer. Mignolet's in the first half save of the game tho, from Walters I think? Reina wouldn't have kept that out in a million years.

Reina wouldn't have kept that out in a million years.

Reina's pulled off plenty of similar saves in his time with us. I think Mignolet's successes can be celebrated in their own right without the need to denigrate those of somebody who served the club well.

Reina's pulled off plenty of similar saves in his time with us. I think Mignolet's successes can be celebrated in their own right without the need to denigrate those of somebody who served the club well.

I feel his shot stopping went to pieces in the last two-three seasons. Was very glad to see him replaced tbh. Great keeper once upon a time but he went stale with us.

Mignolet's performances will be judged against his predecessors, that's only natural.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
You sure this stat is true.

Yep, they asked the player and assistant manager about it, and was discussed afterwards.

Exactly . Mignolet is far from the finished article but he stepped up when needed today

Yep, they asked the player and assistant manager about it, and was discussed afterwards.

Fair enough, just seemed a low number of saves to me. Guess you're not called upon all that often with four alehouse centre backs infront of you.

He's had better games, of that I'm sure.

Mignolet will win us points this season. This is what I was saying when people were questioning why we were getting rid of Reina and signing him. A really top 'keeper does what we saw today - wins games for you. Pepe was a great servant for us but far too often in the last few years have we conceded from the one or two chances that the opposition created. Hopefully now those days are over.

I agree, i think Begovic has shown over the last few seasons that he's a top goalkeeper. And he was the one i wanted too, but i hope our scouts and GK coach have done a good job and decided Mignolet has greater potential.

Begovic was especially good today, he kept Stoke in the game. Without him they would have been fucked well before half time.

That's the thing with Begovic he will be outstanding for part of the season say a third of it , but the rest utter crap.

When he is good he probably is the best around but he is to inconsistent.

Jesus christ.

Reina was a world class keeper for us for many years but he got older and his head was on going to Barca. We did the right thing.

We should be thankful that we did the business that good and got Mignolet in, he is a good keeper and he had a good game today. He is younger and he is motivated to be at Liverpool.

Have ppl forgot about our keepers before Reina? We had shite keepers all the way, that cost us points.

Let´s hope Mignolet will be as good as Reina, and maybe better, would be brilliant for us.

Well said, have to spread or I would've repped.

It's early days, but I believe we had to do something about Pepe. He was given an extra year or two on past form, but he hasn't been the same for a few years now.

For instance, it feels like a new experience to see the opposition fail to score a penalty against us, while in Pepe's early years he was very difficult to beat from the spot.

Mignolet flapped at a couple of high balls hoisted up to the back stick in the early part of the game. I'd like to see him do a bit better with that stuff, but when Stoke play like that it is a nightmare for the keeper. He also dwelt on the ball a bit too long and was getting shut down by the attacker. I think he will improve with his feet and part of what will help him will be two defenders giving him a good angle, and options for an easy pass. Still, that was the bad stuff from today.

The good stuff? He won us two points! If that penalty went in it would have been a draw, and that would have felt like a loss given how we dominated the match. They always say the sign of a top keeper is that they win you X amount of points over the season.

Mignolet has played one game for us. He has kept one clean sheet. And he won us two points. Not bad lad. Not bad. Keep it going!

PS - as for Reina, he was a great goalie for us. The move is good for everyone as we could all see he had lost his hunger at Anfield and had been playing below his own high standards for a while. Top goalie. Top man. Best of luck to him.

Mignolet flapped at a couple of high balls hoisted up to the back stick in the early part of the game. I'd like to see him do a bit better with that stuff' date=' but when Stoke play like that it is a nightmare for the keeper. He also dwelt on the ball a bit too long and was getting shut down by the attacker. I think he will improve with his feet and part of what will help him will be two defenders giving him a good angle, and options for an easy pass. Still, that was the bad stuff from today.

The good stuff? He won us two points! If that penalty went in it would have been a draw, and that would have felt like a loss given how we dominated the match. They always say the sign of a top keeper is that they win you X amount of points over the season.

Mignolet has played one game for us. He has kept one clean sheet. And he won us two points. Not bad lad. Not bad. Keep it going!

PS - as for Reina, he was a great goalie for us. The move is good for everyone as we could all see he had lost his hunger at Anfield and had been playing below his own high standards for a while. Top goalie. Top man. Best of luck to him.[/quote']

Fluffed a few corners and crosses but we have to remember he's jumping with someone that's taller than him in crouch and that doesn't happen everyday. No doubt that there's something there to be improved, but its okay for a debut.

Double save was fantastic too, sure gave him confidence, did you see his face after the save and before the corner!

And exactly. Reina has done well enough for us, we shouldn't be talking about him being shite for us in the previous 1-2 seasons, the first few seasons were good enough.

Not that I want to jump on the comparing band wagon, but for those of us watching it on the telly they showed a graphic telling that Walters had put four out of the five last penalties in the exact same corner (the fifth had hit the crossbar) and Mignolet even admitted that was the reason he saved it so why the hell wouldn't Pepe have saved it?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Mig is king!

And for those concerned he may be a Shay Given sort, he is actually usually very good on crosses and commanding his area, just some first day nerves

Yeah, I thought he was good during pre season (unless the ball travels differently when kicked by somebody from Asia, it still counts). He's still young for a keeper, and Rodgers said he has a great work ethic and is trying to improve even more.