You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Conventional things you find strange.

Kevin D

Jackets for dogs.

Our dog had one, actually our dog had a summer coat.It looked like them aluminium foil covers thst you see runners wear after the marathon. I would advise anyone with a dog to get one in the summer as alot of longer haired dogs cant regulate body temperature to the heat outside.He love it.

It's a pretty standard ritualised practise. No different to procrastinating over a subject or meditating. You put a subject to the forefront of your conciousness thereby bringing it into a different perspective than it would be as a latent thought or desire.

For example, a parent praying for their children every day shifts focus away from the daily stress of parenthood and onto the perspective of loving their kid and what they have to look forward to together. It's by no means a necessity, but it's not much of a stretch to imagine that that focused, positive moment would be important and refreshing to someone (just like any method of clearing your mind is therapeutic).

I don't pray and am nor religious by the way, but suggesting it's just "asking for stuff" is a pretty crass reading of it.

I am not a religious person myself. And I used to be very much of the thinking Monty.

However in the last 8-10 weeks I have seen around 8 people around me (family and work colleahues)lose their one of their parents. I have always struggled with the concept of believing in a religion, I was more inclined to accept it until my Nan passed away when I was 18. I find it hard to get my head around the fact that someone like my Nan, went to church every week, prayed and was one of the most caring and non judgemental people I have ever known, was allowed to suffer with cancer for 3 years. I just didn’t and still don’t get it.

However for those I have been around lately who have lost one of their parents I have found each and every one of them speak of their belief and faith that their loved one has gone to a better place, even if they were suddenly unexpectedly taken away from them.  

At the end of November Mrs McGonical lost her Uncle at the age of 51 due to a heat attack in his sleep. And her Auntie and her daughters have, as can be expected, devastated by the sudden loss of their husband and father. Now they have sought to heal themselves through the grieving stage of attending the spiritualist church. Mrs McGonical thinks this is weird as it she feels that it is going on for too long and that her Auntie and cousins need to stop relying on this to help get them through. Now years ago I would have agreed and backed her up, but I am finding it difficult to agree with her on this. We don’t argue about or even discuss it in any great length but it always gets me thinking about my own faith and my own beliefs.

For years I have always been searching for something to believe. I have always tended t go down the scientific route as it’s pretty much fact and evidence. Just before I packed in smoking weed after 22 years, I used to lie in bed thinking what if I didn’t wake up? Where would I go? What would happen? Would my soul or spirit see the sadness from my family? And not knowing the answer to these things freaked me out, and not just because of the weed either. It got me thinking about how I used to always think that those around me were immortal and would be around for ever. As the years have gone by, those people are slowly disappearing. And I like to think they are in a safe and peaceful place and getting the rewards for being the awesome people they were.

I understand the concept praying and now look at it like a self motivational concept. When I feel de-motivated I talk to my inner self, inner consciousness or whatever you want to call it to help me get through it. I do ask for those around me to be safe and well but I don’t mutter the words “Dear God, or Dear Lord” am I not doing a form of prayer to help me get through the intricate dilemma’s that life brings us. Everyday I ask that my unborn child that is growing inside Mrs McGonical be safe and develops well into a healthy baby. I ask that the older my Mum gets and the more ailments that she gets, she is able to deal with them and it not affect her life, as I do with my Dad, Step Dad, Step Mum and the rest of my family and friends.

I am sure we all do this at some point during the day, therefore is it not human nature to pray in some form that we feel comfortable with? 

I am not a religious person myself. And I used to be very much of the thinking Monty.

However in the last 8-10 weeks I have seen around 8 people around me (family and work colleahues)lose their one of their parents. I have always struggled with the concept of believing in a religion, I was more inclined to accept it until my Nan passed away when I was 18. I find it hard to get my head around the fact that someone like my Nan, went to church every week, prayed and was one of the most caring and non judgemental people I have ever known, was allowed to suffer with cancer for 3 years. I just didn’t and still don’t get it.

However for those I have been around lately who have lost one of their parents I have found each and every one of them speak of their belief and faith that their loved one has gone to a better place, even if they were suddenly unexpectedly taken away from them.  

At the end of November Mrs McGonical lost her Uncle at the age of 51 due to a heat attack in his sleep. And her Auntie and her daughters have, as can be expected, devastated by the sudden loss of their husband and father. Now they have sought to heal themselves through the grieving stage of attending the spiritualist church. Mrs McGonical thinks this is weird as it she feels that it is going on for too long and that her Auntie and cousins need to stop relying on this to help get them through. Now years ago I would have agreed and backed her up, but I am finding it difficult to agree with her on this. We don’t argue about or even discuss it in any great length but it always gets me thinking about my own faith and my own beliefs.

For years I have always been searching for something to believe. I have always tended t go down the scientific route as it’s pretty much fact and evidence. Just before I packed in smoking weed after 22 years, I used to lie in bed thinking what if I didn’t wake up? Where would I go? What would happen? Would my soul or spirit see the sadness from my family? And not knowing the answer to these things freaked me out, and not just because of the weed either. It got me thinking about how I used to always think that those around me were immortal and would be around for ever. As the years have gone by, those people are slowly disappearing. And I like to think they are in a safe and peaceful place and getting the rewards for being the awesome people they were.

I understand the concept praying and now look at it like a self motivational concept. When I feel de-motivated I talk to my inner self, inner consciousness or whatever you want to call it to help me get through it. I do ask for those around me to be safe and well but I don’t mutter the words “Dear God, or Dear Lord” am I not doing a form of prayer to help me get through the intricate dilemma’s that life brings us. Everyday I ask that my unborn child that is growing inside Mrs McGonical be safe and develops well into a healthy baby. I ask that the older my Mum gets and the more ailments that she gets, she is able to deal with them and it not affect her life, as I do with my Dad, Step Dad, Step Mum and the rest of my family and friends.

I am sure we all do this at some point during the day, therefore is it not human nature to pray in some form that we feel comfortable with? 

• Upvote 2

This is one hell of a post Skidders and one which i can relate to as i feel the same way despite realising there is no God as such. But whatever ways people have of getting through traumatic events is fine by me and this seems to be the way most people find comfort.

For instance my Dad never went to church as an Adult until the Hillsborough tragedy,i suspect it was because they,he and my Mum,were worried about my involvement in it and for all they knew i could easily have been one of those victims. Unfortunately we did lose a relative and maybe the Churchgoing helped my parents cope with that and subconsciously were relieved it wasnt me.

We all have a period of believing we and our family are immortal but when we realise we arent it really does shake up the psyche and change our way of thinking,

• Upvote 1

This is probably the best post I have ever seen on this forum. I could add my personal experience of life and family to it, but I don't feel I could be as eloquent. In short, life is fucked and we all need something, no matter how fucked up it seems

Why do you see whole families doing the week's shopping in supermarkets. No-one looks like they're enjoying themselves so why doesnt one parent do the honourable thing and go by themselves leaving the rest of the family at home or free to do something different. They could even take it turn about. And leave the place less crowded for the rest of us who are just trying to get in and out in the least time possible

• Upvote 1

Why do you see whole families doing the week's shopping in supermarkets. No-one looks like they're enjoying themselves so why doesnt one parent do the honourable thing and go by themselves leaving the rest of the family at home or free to do something different. They could even take it turn about. And leave the place less crowded for the rest of us who are just trying to get in and out in the least time possible

Because if one goes they'll only buy smart price, and if the other goes they'll buy the gourmet range. There needs to be some middle ground.

I always do the weekly shop.  The missus hates it so she lets get me on with it.  I actually enjoy food shopping tbh

• Upvote 1