You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Suarez Bite

Red Banjo

No, the precedent set is that biting someone is punishable with a yellow card.

That isn't a precedent though, it is how that referee interpreted the situation!

Tackles are interpreted differently, but you wouldn't argue precendent in that regard.

Precedent is whether it is deemed violent conduct - so 3 game ban, interpretation is whether the referee saw it and considered it a red/yellow card.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That isn't a precedent though, it is how that referee interpreted the situation!

Tackles are interpreted differently, but you wouldn't argue precendent in that regard.

Precedent is whether it is deemed violent conduct - so 3 game ban, interpretation is whether the referee saw it and considered it a red/yellow card.

You actually seem to be suggesting that referees grade incidents of biting on the seriousness of the bite.

Sam Wallace ‏@SamWallaceIndy 20m

Woman just called 5 Live to blame Suarez for her son being bitten by a fellow pupil at school today. I think the debate's reached its limit.

FFS Luis look at the mayhem you have caused, I take it whoever scores next can't imitate the Suarez bite for a bit of harmless fun as part of a goal celebration.

You actually seem to be suggesting that referees grade incidents of biting on the seriousness of the bite.

Nope, and not sure how you reached that conclusion!

I am stating that the referee saw the incident with Defoe and acted, therefore nothing can be done retrospectively and therefore no precedent was set. He felt it was a booking.

That isn't precedent just how he interpreted that incident.

Is biting someone worse than pulling someone's hair, crunching their balls, twisting their nipples etc inside the box on a corner?

If so, why?

These things happen all the time and I dont think there is a difference at all.

To be able to bite someone during a football game is almost like an art in itself, thats probably why it does not happen more unlike in rugby.

Fair play to Suarez for trying.

It depends on the man in question and whether he gets me breakfast in the morning.

The blinkered fans’ response on noticing his idol is taking a hammering is to scurry to Google to discover a plentiful supply of far worse indiscretions.

Heaven forbid if ever an 'esteemed' journalist ever resorted to such low down dirty tricks as using google!!

I take it whoever scores next can't imitate the Suarez bite for a bit of harmless fun as part of a goal celebration.

Can you imagine the moral uproar if Sturridge scores and mock-bites Henderson on the arm in celebration. Personally I hope that's exactly what our next goalscorer does.

I'd just like to add that I've yet to see in my 30 years on earth a less funny group of pictures, jokes and quips about an incident, seriously, painfully unfunny, all of it, 'he was just hungry', 'he need more bran in his diet', I despair.

Surely some people are not treating such a serious abominable issue with levity?

Let's play.... MORAL GYMNASTICS!!

Surely some people are not treating such a serious abominable issue with levity?

Let's play.... MORAL GYMNASTICS!!

You've missed the point, but well done for having a go, I couldn't give the slightest fuck about morales, I was stating that the jokes and pictures were not funny, not that I had a problem with them. They're not funny because, they're not funny, nothing esle to it.

This country is fucking mental!

If I went out on a Saturday night with a big fuck off pair of false teeth - people won't look and think 'not messing with him'! They'll laugh call me a horse. He bit someone, how on earth that justifies anything more than 4 matches is beyond me.

What will be even funnier (it won't but bare with me) would be for Shelvey to go out on Saturday and break Cisse's leg, end his career and give him a permanent limp, and take a 3 match ban for it!

If someone asked 100 people before the game yesterday what is the 5 worst things a player can do on the pitch I doubt any would have biting someone in there.

Why is it now all of a sudden seen as a crime against humanity.

Because Code it is the offender and not the offense that really bothers the bastards...

The gif is hilarious but come on, if Suarez had been bitten, we'd have been baying for blood, so to speak.

The point you are missing is that no other bugger would, no sky outrage, no idiot ex players looking for a new job, no hacks writing pieces trying to link it to Hillsboro', nothing.

A bit chastening to see a Chelsea player teaching us a bit about dignity and class. Well in Ivanovic.

We have done well here, handled it well and pretty much took as much of the string out of it as possible.

Rafa was also classy as well!

I spoke to three Chelsea fans at work today, to guage how they are seeing it. They all thought it was funny and not that serious, and two of them mentioned Defoe before I could. Seems the angst in the press and even on here is not totally representative of how many people think.

I spoke to three Chelsea fans at work today, to guage how they are seeing it. They all thought it was funny and not that serious, and two of them mentioned Defoe before I could. Seems the angst in the press and even on here is not totally representative of how many people think.

It very rarely is though Zig, the worry is when (which I think is the case with Luis) they try to dictate the narrative and frame public opinion. Remember the hand ball? James Lawton (I know) essentially wrote that Suarez was on the bench with 'diabolical intent'!