You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Another fucking school shooting (this time a primary school) in the U.S.

1892-LFCWasBorn

Great post that. Without quoting it all, there was so much I agreed with. That 'freedom' thing has always had me baffled about Americans. I just get the feeling they think the rest of the worlds population walks around in shackles while being whipped across the back.

Even though Obama was struggling to control his emotions, it was obvious his words had been chosen 'for him' very carefully. I say 'for him' because I just don't think he can honestly believe that 2nd amendment needs ripping up.

Land of the free eh.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also appearing on Fox News was the Texan Republican congressman Louie Gohmert, who had a different view. ''I wish to God she [slain school principal Dawn Hochsprung] had had an M-4 [assault rifle] in her office, locked up so when she heard gunfire, she pulls it out … and takes him out and takes his head off before he can kill those precious kids,'' he said.

He said it was important that citizens remained well armed so that they could resist government tyranny.

''Once you start drawing the line, where do you stop? That's why it is important to not just look at this emotionally.''

In line with its standard practice after mass shootings the NRA has declined to comment, but some of its prominent supporters have already spoken out. Former governor and Republican candidate Mike Huckabee blamed the violence on the removal of God from schools, while commentator Ann Coulter tweeted that so-called ''concealed carry'' reduced the murder rate.

Beyond satire.

I frequently have conversations over here with people about the notion of freedom. In my opinion many of the baby boomers have bought into the concept of American exceptionalism and they swallow the 'land of the free' stuff wholesale. The younger generation seems different. Many of them love their country and that's a good thing. But they seem much more balanced about the whole thing, and they are a lot more prepared to admit to American wrongdoing, or a sense that all is not well as they look to the future.

I'll just leave this here

search "Oregon mall shooting armed citizen" to discover that the real reason that only 2 people were killed was that an ordinary citizen with a concealed carry permit, who didn't fire because his background wasn't clear, managed to get the shooters attention, kept his gun trained on the shooter and forced him into the hallway where he took his own life.

0/1/1997 - Luke Woodham put on a trench coat to conceal a hunting rifle and entered Pearl High School in Pearl, Mississippi. He killed 3 students before vice principal Joel Myrick apprehended him with a Colt .45 without firing.

4/24/1998 - Andrew Wurst attended a middle school dance in

Edinboro, Pennsylvania intent on killing a bully but shot wildly into the crowd. He killed 1 student. James Strand lived next door. When he heard the shots he ran over with his 12 gauge shotgun and apprehended the gunman without firing.

1/16/2002 – Peter Odighizuwa opened fire with a handgun at The

Appalachian School in Grundy, Virginia. 3 people were killed before the shooter was apprehended by 3 students, Mikael Gross, Ted Besen, and Tracy Bridges with handguns without firing.

2/25/2005 – David Hernandez Arroyo Sr. opened fire on a public square from the steps of a courthouse in Tyler, Texas. The shooter was armed with an assault rifle and wearing body armor. Mark Wilson fired back with a handgun, hitting the shooter but not penetrating the armor. Mark drew the shooter’s fire, and ultimately drove him off, but was fatally wounded. Only two innocents, including Mark, lost their lives this day.

4/22/2012 – Kiarron Parker opened fire in a church parking lot in

Aurora, Colorado. The shooter killed 1 person before being shot and killed by a member of the congregation who was carrying concealed.

Guest ShoePiss

search "Oregon mall shooting armed citizen" to discover that the real reason that only 2 people were killed was that an ordinary citizen with a concealed carry permit, who didn't fire because his background wasn't clear, managed to get the shooters attention, kept his gun trained on the shooter and forced him into the hallway where he took his own life.

0/1/1997 - Luke Woodham put on a trench coat to conceal a hunting rifle and entered Pearl High School in Pearl, Mississippi. He killed 3 students before vice principal Joel Myrick apprehended him with a Colt .45 without firing.

Edinboro, Pennsylvania intent on killing a bully but shot wildly into the crowd. He killed 1 student. James Strand lived next door. When he heard the shots he ran over with his 12 gauge shotgun and apprehended the gunman without firing.

Appalachian School in Grundy, Virginia. 3 people were killed before the shooter was apprehended by 3 students, Mikael Gross, Ted Besen, and Tracy Bridges with handguns without firing.

2/25/2005 – David Hernandez Arroyo Sr. opened fire on a public square from the steps of a courthouse in Tyler, Texas. The shooter was armed with an assault rifle and wearing body armor. Mark Wilson fired back with a handgun, hitting the shooter but not penetrating the armor. Mark drew the shooter’s fire, and ultimately drove him off, but was fatally wounded. Only two innocents, including Mark, lost their lives this day.

Aurora, Colorado. The shooter killed 1 person before being shot and killed by a member of the congregation who was carrying concealed.

He didn't say that when I saw him being interviewed on local news the other day.

You're a cunt anyway.

Guest ShoePiss

By the way, more people weren't killed at the mall not far from me because the stolen rifle the shooter was using jammed. The armed citizen chose not to fire off a shot at the shooter because he feared he would hit someone that crossed his line of sight, he didn't force the shooter anywhere. That is a flat out lie designed to promote the idea that more people with guns makes us safer.

As I said, you're a cunt.

He didn't say that when I saw him being interviewed on local news the other day.

You're a cunt anyway.

That's fair enough if you post a transcript I'll leave it out.

Never had a real problem with you myself.

The rest is just my general opinion on the subject:

I understand that this being a forum frequented primarily by left-leaning English/British people (who ironically enough I generally side regarding affairs in your own country, particularly because the conservatives (tories, from what I understand) have always been considered "pro-monarchy"), I expect most of you disagree with the 2nd amendment. For me it's something I've been raised to know was one of our rights in this country and whilst I don't personally own a firearm at the moment I may well do in the future, then again I may not but it's not something I comfortable with the Government taking away and given the sensationalism in the media (nevermind the fact that it took our left all of a few hours to politicize this tragedy) I thought it would be a good idea to point out the information I've heard/read on the event as well as events in the past.

The bottom line is that a minority of legal gun owners do things like this. Should there be some reform? Probably and I'd be in favor of severly mentally ill and felons being stripped of this right (although in that case it depends on the felony, in some states I believe more than one ounce of marijuana is a felony for example).

Prohibition doesn't work here though, it didn't work with alcohol, it doesn't work with drugs, and honestly anyone that wanted to could get their hands on an illegal firearm if they tried hard enough. This man broke the law anyway, therefore I'm not convinced that more laws would stop things like this from happening.

By the way, more people weren't killed at the mall not far from me because the stolen rifle the shooter was using jammed. The armed citizen chose not to fire off a shot at the shooter because he feared he would hit someone that crossed his line of sight, he didn't force the shooter anywhere. That is a flat out lie designed to promote the idea that more people with guns makes us safer.

As I said, you're a cunt.

I'm passed the edit time but fair enough, I apparently read falsified information.

Well you clearly weren't raised to know your rights, unless you consider yourself to be part of a "regulated militia". Are you?

You live in a land so free that you have to carry a firearm to stop someone from shooting you? Wow! The rest of the western world can only dream of such freedom (with much, much lower homicide rates).

Guest ShoePiss
I'm passed the edit time but fair enough, I apparently read falsified information.

But were quick to jump on it because it supported your lovely idea that more guns makes us safer.

I'm beyond being reasonable on this issue when people have views such as yours, I have a zero tolerance for anyone advocating more guns and the current controls in place. People are needlessly dying over and over again and the gun manufacturers rub their hands.

Well you clearly weren't raised to know your rights, unless you consider yourself to be part of a "regulated militia". Are you?

You live in a land so free that you have to carry a firearm to stop someone from shooting you? Wow! The rest of the western world can only dream of such freedom (with much, much lower homicide rates).

Anti-gun advocates use that all the time but every time there are instances of people joining a paramilitary "militia" and regulating themselves those same people ridicule them and are worried about it.

I never claimed the whole "land of the free" thing. I'm very disillusioned with this countries foreign policy for example as well as the war on drugs, the invasive TSA pat downs, and I detest war as whole but I am very much pro-2nd amendment. The fact of the matter is that their are people who would get guns anyway and this country being as big as it is, guns would still be around even if laws said they couldn't be. The only difference is people who actually abide by the law wouldn't be allowed to purchase them.

Anti-gun advocates use that all the time but every time there are instances of people joining a paramilitary "militia" and regulating themselves those same people ridicule them and are worried about it.

I never claimed the whole "land of the free" thing. I'm very disillusioned with this countries foreign policy for example as well as the war on drugs, the invasive TSA pat downs, and I detest war as whole but I am very much pro-2nd amendment. The fact of the matter is that their are people who would get guns anyway and this country being as big as it is, guns would still be around even if laws said they couldn't be. The only difference is people who actually abide by the law wouldn't be allowed to purchase them.

Yes, they ridicule them because it's ridiculous. How many tyrants have been overthrown by people in the US having guns? It's amazing how the UK, Germany etc haven't been over-run by tyrrany due to not having armed lunatics on every corner.

Your murder rate with guns is massively more than in other countries. Is that because you are, as a people, massively more homicidal or do you reckon that it's because of gun controls? If it's not due to gun control then why do you think people in the US are massively more homicidal?

Yes, they ridicule them because it's ridiculous. How many tyrants have been overthrown by people in the US having guns? It's amazing how the UK, Germany etc haven't been over-run by tyrrany due to not having armed lunatics on every corner.

Your murder rate with guns is massively more than in other countries. Is that because you are, as a people, massively more homicidal or do you reckon that it's because of gun controls? If it's not due to gun control then why do you think people in the US are massively more homicidal?

I think it's events compounding. Times are tough which causes some people to lose it, others lose it for far less such as the feeling of being "bullied", and frankly our culture embraces violence more than anything. I can turn on a regular non-cable tv show and see a bullet enter a person with a close up on how it rips into their body. A few seconds of a woman's nipple and everyone is up in arms.

I think it's a societal problem and not a gun control problem. For the murder statistics with guns we'd need a breakdown of legal vs. illegal firearms that were used in said murders. I also think something is to be said with the quality of mental healthcare as well as the "just give them some drugs" attitude of doctors around the country (which ISN'T exclusive to mental patients I might add).

I can't see anything changing over there personally.On the BBC a few minutes back a gun store owner just said he had his busiest day in 20 years.

Why anyone needs to own a assault rifle ill never know.I can't see many people giving up hunting rifles,shotguns etc through most central and southern states.

It's one of those things that's just ridiculous. There are so many improperly registered firearms in the US that just 'banning' guns wouldn't work.

You can't get the shit back into the goose.

You can, however, make it a felony to own an assault rifle, and offer an amnesty for turning them in for a certain period of time.

Of course, not everyone will turn them in... the individual states will probably fight the 'blanket assault rifle ban' and scream about states rights.

There isn't much that can be done about the gun culture in the United States that would immediately remove the threat of another crazed homicidal cuntaxe shooting innocents because his teddy bear told him that jesus wants him to do it, etc. etc

That said? I enjoy going to the gun range, and I think that it should be legal for people to do that... but I wouldn't be opposed to having gun owners in the USA have to do a lot more to get their firearms and to keep their firearms.

My brother is a foreigner, and he has guns. It took him an hour to buy a new gun for the range, recently.

negged, you dumbass.

It's one of those things that's just ridiculous. There are so many improperly registered firearms in the US that just 'banning' guns wouldn't work.

You can't get the shit back into the goose.

You can, however, make it a felony to own an assault rifle, and offer an amnesty for turning them in for a certain period of time.

Of course, not everyone will turn them in... the individual states will probably fight the 'blanket assault rifle ban' and scream about states rights.

There isn't much that can be done about the gun culture in the United States that would immediately remove the threat of another crazed homicidal cuntaxe shooting innocents because his teddy bear told him that jesus wants him to do it, etc. etc

I'm not buying this. You won't get all the nutters, but you'll get all the people who keep guns lying around for their freakshow kids to pick up and use, and you'll get those people that are relatively sane when they buy the guns, but lose it some at point afterwards, and you'll stop the fucktards of the future simply walking into a store and buying guns. It seems to me that a blanket ban on private gun ownership wouldn't prevent all gun crime - criminals won't observe such a ban - but most of these massacre type crimes aren't committed by full-time hardened criminals, just sad self-obsessed mentals who see an opportunity to go out with a bang. In this country the sad counts will self-harm for a while, and either grow out of it, or spend their days looking for sympathy and attention on social media websites.

Canada has similar gun laws, moose hunting fuckwits, but surprisingly has homicide by firearm rate similar, and in some cases lower, to most developed countries.

Something tells me it's more about the American psyche than any thing else.

Media sensationalism and gung-ho fundamentalism towards anything that takes it's fancy has created a country filled with potential fruitloops.

Go to sleep America...