You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the FSG model, if that IS their model even.

Players very, very rarely sustain a world class level of performance for much more than 2-3 seasons tops. He's not had a major injury either, he may never have one but...

Is it really very very rare? Drogba, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Ronaldo, C.Ronaldo, Zidane, Messi, Alonso, Giggs, Canavaro, Buffon and many other world class players performed as world class for more than 3 seasons.

I think the rare is for a world class footballer to turn average.

It's not sustainable to just keep ploughing money into a football club from outside, it's not.

But FSG haven't done it. So how can they keep doing something they haven't done so far?

Read this lads deserves it's own thread I think but since it's from RAWK and people can get a tad upset, i'll put it here:

There's a certain honesty that comes from mischief. We don't trust the pristine. Cristiano Ronaldo is handsome, talented, dedicated, and above all unloved. Mario Balotelli gets more adoration than an Everton loan signing. We like our angels to have dirty faces because it makes them all the more accessible; it kicks away the pedestal. What happens if you take that to its farthest reaches? Well Ladies and Gentlemen, I give to you Luis Suarez: a man who doesn't just kick away the pedestal, he's a man who sets fire to it and puts out the blaze with his own victorious piss. What the fuck are you gonna do about it?

By demonstrating the raw determination of a born Kopite, Liverpool's little Uruguayan has not only given his fans the chance to live vicariously through him, he's also united opposition supporters in hatred. It's given Liverpool fans a flag round which to rally. So, thanks for that: we needed it. And it's a proper flag at that, not one of those placcy ones the cockneys use to plug the gaping emptiness that comes from being a Billionaire's wank sock. It's like family: nothing gets a warring family together like an outside threat. 'Nobody calls my brother an arsehole but me!'

And so Luis Suarez has fought off everything from Gollum's meanest stare to Ferguson's bottle-bank. The apologist Premier League currently finds itself in the precarious position of the wide-eyed Big Game Hunter who, having just missed the onrushing beast with his last poison dart, quietly evacuates into his own pants. The gnashing teeth and guttural roars as Luis Suarez hurtles towards them is what will now be their last rites. Are you happy now David Moyes? How about you Mr Ferguson?

Suarez is a lesson in the dangers of building man into monster. Hannibal Lecter could give the Nevilles' midwife nightmares in that mask, but stick a pink bow on him and all you have is 'The Silence of Bo Peep'. Here the Premier League has a beast at least partly of their own making, through continued and overt demonization. They say 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger', and Luis Suarez has faced hook, crook and book in England. But Luis isn't just alive, he's mutated into something more dangerous: Frankenstein's monster; a Uruguayan Werewolf in Liverpool; the big 'FUCK YOU!'

It should have all been so different. An eight match ban for racism was supposed to be the silver bullet. Above and beyond games missed, I remember claims that the incident highlighted 'the very worst of football Tribalism'. One man's ban apparently became the battle between good and evil. And so, watching England flap to a 4-2 defeat against Sweden, I thought of the delicious irony of how someone like Suarez could restore England's International lustre! How England could do with their own Pantomime Villain to add some umph.

International football in this country was already circling the toilet bowl by the time Michael Owen sold his soul to 'Ingerlund', so it's not just Liverpool fans who became increasingly unlikely to put up the St George bunting. National pride is the stuff of Churchill, of missed penalties and Gazza's tears, not midweek jaunts to give every man and his cat an England Cap in 'Meaningless Friendly 502'. When 'El Pistolero' was pilloried in the English media- and football in general- for being a 'racist', his Uruguyan countrymen closed ranks and stood shoulder to shoulder with him. When Suarez was accused of being a 'diver' by FIFA Vice-President Jim Boyce, the Uruguayan FA wrote to FIFA in a manner that can only be described as designed to make sphincters quiver. A big fuck-off handbook on how to rehabilitate the cowardly Three Lions lives and breaths in the never-say-die attitude of Luis Suarez, and yet still we form disorderly queues to feast on the entrails of our sportsmen.

England doesn't have a loveable rogue. They have a few wrong 'uns no doubt, but they're either vacuous to the point of inane or just a nasty shade of Nouveau Riche. Liverpool, however, have their first, properly mischievous little Git since Robbie Fowler was seen sniffing his way down the touchline. England never really appreciated Robbie, so there's no surprise that Suarez fails to fit the template too, and it remains to be seen what heights Suarez will soar to. How long he will stay? Part of the drama is watching a clinical trial unfold in front of us, because never before have the effects of playing every game like its your last been tested on the meager chassis of the human body. Can he last? Most players have either the talent or the attitude, Luis has an equal abundance of both. To watch Suarez is to watch inspiration grapple with perspiration like a freshly tweezed Jose Enrique in a cage match with his own sexuality.

We hope there's a good few chapters left to be written, but for now Liverpool have that cheeky goalscoring forward, around which all of the best hand-me-down stories are written. Journalists are surveying their broken greenhouses and politely asking if Luis can return stones to sender. What's great about this fella is that despite all the other bullshit in football, he makes sure there's no danger of Liverpool fans falling out of love with the game any time soon. No matter how hard the sky was falling, you'd never stop watching Robbie Fowler's Liverpool. And likewise, no matter how up the tits are, you'll never stop watching Luis Suarez' Liverpool. 'Drive fans away' my fucking arse! He has you so far off your seat you could get on the end of a Stoke through ball. Robbie Fowler will always be God, and he'll always be my hero, but -and I know pain may well follow- I think I'll tentatively announce his successor.

Guest ShoePiss

Couldn't get beyond the first line Ronnie, the reason ronaldo is 'unloved' has fuck all to do with his looks and talent and everything to do with him being a cunt.

I hope this not going to be like Torres leaving to Chelsea shit....love, love, love and then fucking leave in the next window.

We have to accept that they are all football players who want to win trophies. Whatever Suarez said in response to the rumours should not be taken 100% the truth. When the time comes, he'll leave. For now, lets keep him happy by signing a partner for him up front and also a new manager.

I do feel sorry for Luis, he plays every game starting out on a negative footing in the eyes of most of the football pundits out there. In today's game against Wigan for example, as he walks off the field the commentators say something like "As always we've seen the good and the bad..."

The 'bad' that they were referring to was ONE mistimed challenge that appeared to have no malice involved, that should have earned him a yellow card. That was it. Ignore the rest of his sublime play, or at least disrespect it by effectively saying it was evened out by one challenge, why don't you.

That man could end the season as the top scorer by a country mile and the cunts in the world of football still wouldnt acknowledge him as the player of the season. I hope to god it happens so I can see the fuckers squirm.

Love watching him play, it's a genuine pleasure,

Yes totally agree, i just hope we get our act together sooner rather than later and get a trophy seeking team out there, so we can satisfy his ambition, and he can see honours by staying here. We are lucky to have him.

At this moment in time hes the 3rd best player in the world behind the obvious 2 ...

Love it , Love watching him , if he does go soonish i will throw a huge paddy like a spoilt brat of kid , it would probably last months , much more so than when Torres fucked off .......

Cant believe there are some Liverpool fans that would cash in on him if a big offer came in , fucking insanity , not the first fucking clue.

Long live King Luis ! , hes just fucking awesome , oh and the Scott Parker karate kick to the ribs last season still cracks me up when it pops in the mind , any gifs ?

I expect a lot to be made of the stamp on that Manc twat, and I wouldn't be shocked if the FA took action.

Hey presto, gobshite time

BBC Sport - Luis Suarez accused of stamping by Wigan boss Roberto Martinez

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez was not happy with Liverpool forward Luis Suarez | Football News | Sky Sports

Always stirring the pot

So glad we didn't get this classless shitbag as our manager. I can't imagine Brendan ever doing this sort of shit even if he wasn't our manager.

Clearly Martinez has said about the 'stamp', (sour grapes 'cause his team got beat comprehensively), but it should also be obvious that these two have jumped on what is probably a small part of a post-match interview. They have an agenda, and reading that BBC one especially, it is clear that they have a VERY big agenda. Raking up David Moyes comments and speaking of diving? Jesus. That's a witch-hunt.

Martinez, like Moyes and Pulis, is a member of Ferguson's supper club. No doubt he was fed most of his lines by his master. Much like the others. The campaign was probably discussed in their last meeting.

Tbf he did say Luis' goals were signs of a top player, but his stamp wasn't or somethingt to that effect..

Can we rewind and have another look at Figueroa's yellow card on Sterling late in the 1st? If anyone can find the footage it'd be interesting to compare that challenge to Luis's. Got a wee feeling posthumous yellow coming up. FA doing what they do best again?

Martinez, like Moyes and Pulis, is a member of Ferguson's supper club. No doubt he was fed most of his lines by his master. Much like the others. The campaign was probably discussed in their last meeting.

Is he? He had a rant against whisky face and his influence few years ago and got reprimanded for it I think. Unless red nose has pulled his purse recently with him.

Is he? He had a rant against whisky face and his influence few years ago and got reprimanded for it I think. Unless red nose has pulled his purse recently with him.

Ever since then he's joined the gang. When we were linked with him somebody posted pictures of them all meeting at a restaurant.