You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a credit account, you stand a very good chance of getting your money back, even if gross negligence (on your part) is proven. But you'll be liable for 50 quid

If it's a regular debit card, the onus still lies on the bank to prove gross negligence on your part. They MIGHT win given your drunken escapades, but it's not guaranteed.

If you've given your PIN to him, that won't help. If he's overlooked you typing in the PIN, mugged you and used the card, you'll win.

CCTV may help prove it either way.

In the absence of any evidence, the onus still lies on the bank to prove your gross negligence.

In reality, the bank will put red tape in your way in the hope of you giving up. You probably will for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.

If it's a private hire cab, then you should (in theory) have booked the cab. So should know the taxi firm (or have it on your phone records). But I suspect he just picked you up staggering on the street?

Not thought to get in touch with the cab firm and tell them you were robbed and raped by one of their drivers? They may have a record of who picked you up.

I have no idea which firm it was. I was picked up off the street.

I have an address to write to in Birmingham so I'm going to put it all in writing and see what they say.

So you threw up in the taxi, then the driver used your card (that you gave him the number for) to remove money from your account?

The cashpoint will have a camera and you might be lucky that there's cctv evidence also.

Unless there's specific evidence of fraud or threat then I can't see any of this turning out good for you, sorry. The taxi driver has every right to ask for a fee for cleaning, some might try more for loss of earnings.

It all rests on his word against yours that he took the remainder of the cash, being in a very drunken state you could have easily dropped the rest.

Hope for your sake there's some cctv with audio to assist you.

This. On the other hand, even if you're fucked (pardon the phrase) you may at least find out the identity of the taxi driver. A full set of tyres can be very costly. Alibi being the key word here.

Guest Pistonbroke
If it's a credit account, you stand a very good chance of getting your money back, even if gross negligence (on your part) is proven. But you'll be liable for 50 quid

If it's a regular debit card, the onus still lies on the bank to prove gross negligence on your part. They MIGHT win given your drunken escapades, but it's not guaranteed.

If you've given your PIN to him, that won't help. If he's overlooked you typing in the PIN, mugged you and used the card, you'll win.

CCTV may help prove it either way.

In the absence of any evidence, the onus still lies on the bank to prove your gross negligence.

In reality, the bank will put red tape in your way in the hope of you giving up. You probably will for the sake of a couple of hundred quid.

If it's a private hire cab, then you should (in theory) have booked the cab. So should know the taxi firm (or have it on your phone records). But I suspect he just picked you up staggering on the street?

He only had a fiver in his account.

It was a private hire cab had and I had both my bank card and phone on me.

The bolded bit is what I think happened though and after explaining it all as best as I could at Lloyds TSB they said I could appeal to get the money back but it's unlikely which is shite.

The last sentence is exactly what my dad said to me and he's going to send me some money up.

Ah so you have learned a lesson. That lesson being that if you get wasted and let a dodgy cabbie steal all your money your Dad will replace it.

Lurtz Junior has just lost his third phone in 18 months. I've told him to get fucked if he wants yet another one from me and to replace it himself. Pains me him not having a phone but he's got to learn.