You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Martinez claims Reds did offer him the job.

Guest San Don

Ha i said as much at the time (cant be arsed finding the quote).

Of course he was offered it first, thats why he was walking down the street in the states with JWH, and i think he turned it down because of the terms (DOF).

When the clubs PR team went overboard telling the press Rodgers was no1 choice when he was unveiled was very noticeble. Gerrard over in Poland with England says exactly the same thing nearly word for word.

I think they shit themselves when they tried to force DOF on Martinez and he wouldnt have it, they changed the offer when they went to Rodgers.

I think they shit themselves when they tried to force DOF on Martinez and he wouldnt have it, they changed the offer when they went to Rodgers.

Why didn't they change the offer and go back to Martinez if he was their number one choice? Why change your offer and then go to your second choice?

Of course he was offered it first, thats why he was walking down the street in the states with JWH, and i think he turned it down because of the terms (DOF).

When the clubs PR team went overboard telling the press Rodgers was no1 choice when he was unveiled was very noticeble. Gerrard over in Poland with England says exactly the same thing nearly word for word.

You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

Guest San Don

Er, let's get this straight then. We offered martinez the role but with a DoF. He said no way with a DoF. We then turned to Rodgers and offered him the job with a DoF. he said no way with a DoF so we said OK, no DoF, will you take the job and he says yeah.

So, if Martinez was the first choice and we'd offered it to him, why didnt we drop the DoF option with him?

Martinez did not actually say he was offered the job. If his published words are all there is, it looks like he got the chance to discuss the job. Which is NO news! But he's spinning it into something more. hard to see why unless losing to Chelsea so easily has made him feel less untouchable from the wiley Dave.

I don't think LFC will dignify this with a comment although you might hear some say "Brendan was our first choice" in the same way that Henry countered the SAF jibe about Suarez costing Kenny his job!

Too many topics here!

Maybe they offered Martinez the job, with Rodgers as the DOF, but when he read the offer in PDF it didn't answer the FAQs, and that meant he didn't have the PIN to the ATM that contained the transfer budget. Naturally he felt LFC's GDP was not the NPV he'd hoped. And so he decided LFC was a CLM and the CEO had misled him at the POS, so he declined. I'll bet Henry wanted to commit GBH, especially after the VC he'd laid out on a Florida HOL, but wouldn't risk an ASBO.

fonejacker.jpg

Taiwo: Hello Roberto Martinez Montoliú.

Roberto: Hello?

Taiwo: This is Taiwo Akinwenabi, from Liverpool Football Club main office. I would like to thank you for your interesting in our managerial position. I would like to offer you the positions, with a six year contract for $8,000,000 USD per annum, kind sir. Please to send all personal details, passport numbers, bank and sort code please, if you accept our offer, kind sir. My email address is TaiwoAkinwenabiLFC@hotmail.com

Roberto: This sounds dodgy.

Taiwo: No, this is totally legitimate. Bank and sort code, please.

Roberto: No.

Taiwo: Sir, this is legitimate offer from Liverpool Football Club. Bank and Sort code, please.

(Dail tone)

Taiwo: Kind sir? Bank and Sort code please...?

(Dail tone)