You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Allen stats for the City game

• 43 out of 46 passes completed (93%)
  • didn’t misplace a pass until the 2nd half
  • completed (100%) of his passes in our half and (85%) in the middle of the park
  • accuracy drops to (57%) in the more crowded final third
  • out of 57 touches, only 1 was misplaced
  • lost possession only 4 times in 90 minutes
  • Gerard and Shelvey lost the ball 29 times between the two of them
  • won (57%) of his ground duels, but only (33%) of his tackles were successful
  • for a player of only 5’6, he still won (25%) of his aerial duels

Just awesome!

I'm hoping Lucas can learn something from Allen while he's watching from the stands. I'm not sure he's going to get back in the team when he's fit, but he's a very good option to have off the bench. Henderson and Adam must be twitchy.

Lucas and Allen aren't competing for the same position or perform the same role in the starting 11, so I don't understand why Allen would be keeping Lucas on the bench?

I'm hoping Lucas can learn something from Allen while he's watching from the stands. I'm not sure he's going to get back in the team when he's fit, but he's a very good option to have off the bench. Henderson and Adam must be twitchy.

Stats only tell you a mere part of the whole picture.

This isnt a put down of him at all and it is just putting them stats to the overall picture.

His pass rate should be high when you consider the vast majority of his passes are over a extremely short distance.

Gerrard and Shelvey will lose the ball more as they run with the ball and also play a far superiour amount of long balls into crowded areas than Joe.

33% of tackles won is not a great rate at all.

Many of you critasized Lucas for a few years,so lets have a look at his stats from the 2008/09 season.

This is a season he was riddiculed to fuck by most people.

In 13 games (12 as sub)that season his aerial 50 50 challenges came to 56% win percentage(he aint big either).

His ground challenges is also 56% win percentage.

His total tackling win percentage is 74.68%.

He was riddiculed for what people call his square ball or back passing.

Yet Joe plays exactly the same type of pass but in most cases a even shorter distance than Lucas does.

He is looking a great player and hopefully he can achieve greatness here.

How do you know? Allen looked pretty good as a holding midfielder yesterday.

Allen did not play the holding midfielder role, at least not the same way as has been asked of Lucas. The way I see it is that Sahin and Allen together can fill the Lucas role, while probably producing more of an attacking threat.

That leaves then the manager to make a choice, bring Lucas in, steady the midfield even more, moving Sahin up, and moving Gerrard further up. Then it is a choice between Sterling/Borini and Gerrard. If you want to simplify it even further, without injuries it becomes a choice between Lucas and Sterling...

I'd think we will see a fair deal of rotation, and will also be happy as we have options and possibilities. To control the games.

Oh he did, but of course he didn't play it the same way. New player, new manager.

Yet the new manager has chosen the old player to play the old way with the new player. Now that we have another new player, there will be a different choice to make. Or many different choices.

No, he hasn't.

I'm not going to claim that I know what the manager's plans are, but he started with both Allen and Lucas. I'm not sure that their roles are the same, and it didn't look like they were doing the same thing on the pitch yesterday. They can offer us defensive and attacking options. I'd rather have both of them start.

I'm not going to claim that I know what the manager's plans are, but he started with both Allen and Lucas. I'm not sure that their roles are the same, and it didn't look like they were doing the same thing on the pitch yesterday. They can offer us defensive and attacking options. I'd rather have both of them start.

I'd rather have only Allen. Time will tell.

And no, they can't both offer us the same things.

A real shame Lucas is injured, meaning Allen is going to act as our out and out holding midfielder and as accomplished as Allen is at passing I don't think his tackling and interceptions are as good as Lucas. I'm actually glad about the international break, meaning Lucas will probably only miss a couple of league games.

Impressed, went to the game yesterday as an Allen sceptic. Came out thinking he was a steal at £15m. Can't wait to see how he progresses...

Wondering if a few others were in the same boat...by the time I got to the top of the queue for shirt printng after the game they had run out of 2s

A real shame Lucas is injured, meaning Allen is going to act as our out and out holding midfielder and as accomplished as Allen is at passing I don't think his tackling and interceptions are as good as Lucas. I'm actually glad about the international break, meaning Lucas will probably only miss a couple of league games.

Luckily, he's a hell of a lot better at it than Spearing and Adam. But I'd Prefer to have Lucas behind our other two midfielders (Allen and Sahin) in an inverted triangle.

Gerrard should play on the right.

Luckily, he's a hell of a lot better at it than Spearing and Adam. But I'd Prefer to have Lucas behind our other two midfielders (Allen and Sahin) in an inverted triangle.

Gerrard should play on the right.

Aye, spot on.