You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Maybe it's just the fact GB has done so well, maybe it's the coverage being so readily available, maybe it's just me getting carried away, but this has to be up there with any sporting event ever held.

All I heard for the last seven years was 'we're going to fuck it up, it's going to be shit, etc., etc.', but it's been fucking brilliant. I don't think I've enjoyed a set of events like this.

All of this

Maybe it's just the fact GB has done so well, maybe it's the coverage being so readily available, maybe it's just me getting carried away, but this has to be up there with any sporting event ever held.

All I heard for the last seven years was 'we're going to fuck it up, it's going to be shit, etc., etc.', but it's been fucking brilliant. I don't think I've enjoyed a set of events like this.

Exactly this. I knew we wouldn't fuck it up and for me it's the best Olympics I've ever seen.

Be immense if we could get to 30 golds.

Been a great haul though. I think I'm right in saying also that GB has the best medals to population ratio of any country at the games.

Hate to go all Code on you Fausty but I think it's New Zealand by some distance.

He played a massive role in the bid though, bit harsh.

He's still a twat though.

Col that gif is superb.

He didn't though. This little myth seems to have grown lately for some reason.

The IOC members see themselves as sporting diplomats who like to be treated like royalty wherever they go. They get to meet every sporting icon alive such as in the Pele, Messi and Ali class. They've seen it all before and having Beckham squash their hand would have just passed them by. He's just a mere sportsman while they are the top sporting administrators.

And he might be a twat, but it was Blair who played all the cards. The amount of lobbying he done even drew complaints from the French as overstepping the mark. Having a smarmy git who was at the top of his worldwide popularity at the time visiting them personally one-to-one is what impressed them. And Jacque Chirac thinking it was beneath him just played more into his hands. Beckham was just part of the team, no more sway than any athlete who was present at the bid.

He played a massive role in the bid though, bit harsh.

He's still a twat though.

Col that gif is superb.

So did plenty of others who are actually from a track and field or olympic related event, we'd not been competing at the f**tball for donkeys years till now.

Why bring out some fucking idiot who struggles to even speak when there are so many other athletes I would love to hear speak.

It's you getting carried away because it's in the UK.

The BBC keep trying to push the same line and all the brits are all for it and lap it up while the foreign athletes/commentators aren't overly bothered. They've used that 'is this one of the best nights in the history of the olympics' (or it's variations) so many times that I think Michael Johnson is going to punch inverdale next time.

The BBC keep trying to push the same line and all the brits are all for it and lap it up while the foreign athletes/commentators aren't overly bothered. They've used that 'is this one of the best nights in the history of the olympics' (or it's variations) so many times that I think Michael Johnson is going to punch inverdale next time.

Yep it's just because it's in the UK, we get to watch very local coverage. I was in the US at the time of the Atlanta Olympics and it was very similar (up until the bombing).

Even allowing for a little jingoism, it's been a superb sporting event and I've found myself becoming quite addicted to sports that I wouldn't normally even consider. We should be pretty proud as a nation particularly the huge support that has turned up for every event. We've thrown a more than decent Olympic event, whether it's the greatest ever I seriously doubt but that's for posterity to decide.

And yet Johnson said it was the greatest athletics event he'd seen in his lifetime.

Playing to the crowd?

It's been a good olympics made to seem better because of the British success.

Bolt 100 & 200m.

New WR's in the mens and women 4X100m.

Michael Phelps.

Katie Ledecky.

David Rudisha's 800m world record.

That's just a very quick list without even thinking about it and not using any examples of British athletes or successes.

Playing to the crowd?

It's been a good olympics made to seem better because of the British success on British soil.

Hard to say how it compares to others but I don't see Johnson playing to the crowd. He's frequently disagreeing with the others and says what he thinks whether the others agree with him or not.

Guest Pistonbroke

Boxing finals start at 13:30. The two fights involving our boxers are as follows.

14:15 - 14:26 Men's Welterweight (69kg) with Fred Evans

15:15 - 15:26 Men's Super Heavyweight (+91kg) with Anthony Joshua

Not a great deal on today. Men's marathon starts at 11am. men's mountain bike at 13:30. Handball final at 11am.