You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers Thread

mht1892

Guardiola to Barca. Wenger to Arsenal. Benitez to Valencia. Klopp to Dortmund. Villas-Boas to Porto. Shankly to Liverpool. Dalglish for manager the first time.

Even the best managers looked a risky bet at some point in their career. .

We didnt need to take that risk. We are still in a position to attract some of the best managers in the world.

Replace the word british with black and you"ll see just how racist that post is

You are not even intelligent enough to be labelled stupid.

If you could be taught to sit down at a desk and take a mental aptitude test, you'd find you were slightly less intelligent than the chair you were sitting on.

Dunce.

Guardiola to Barca. Wenger to Arsenal. Benitez to Valencia. Klopp to Dortmund. Villas-Boas to Porto. Shankly to Liverpool. Dalglish for manager the first time.

Even the best managers looked a risky bet at some point in their career. There is no saying for sure that Rodgers will be great, but you cant only look at past achievements, you also have to factor in the talent of the manager. Much like when you scout players.

All good examples of managers who have not achieved much going on to bigger things because they've been trusted, but I'm not sure how much leeway they were allowed when brought into their respective clubs. We apparently have thrown our plan of having a DoF into the bin because of Rodgers, it worries me that we've given him so much freedom even with his little experience of running the football side of a top club. When Kenny was appointed, for example, he had Paisley behind him who he could turn to for advice, one of the strongest teams in Europe AND close to the biggest transfer budget in the league.

I wonder how much of a factor Segura, and our youth team, was in getting him the job? The fact he plays the same formation at Swansea as our youth team surely counts for something, especially when the idea was to play the same formation all the way through from under 16s (or whatever) to the senior team.

We didnt need to take that risk. We are still in a position to attract some of the best managers in the world.

It's like Chelsea saying 'we have Frank Lampard who has been world class for many years, we dont need Hazard'.

Maybe Rodgers is so talented that he could become a great manager? And maybe the fits the bill better of someone building what the owners want long term than any of the other possibilities out there? When was the last time Capello built up a side? Or Van Gaal for that matter?

There is no risk free managerial appointment.

All good examples of managers who have not achieved much going on to bigger things because they've been trusted, but I'm not sure how much leeway they were allowed when brought into their respective clubs. We apparently have thrown our plan of having a DoF into the bin because of Rodgers, it worries me that we've given him so much freedom even with his little experience of running the football side of a top club. When Kenny was appointed, for example, he had Paisley behind him who he could turn to for advice, one of the strongest teams in Europe AND close to the biggest transfer budget in the league.

I wonder how much of a factor Segura, and our youth team, was in getting him the job? The fact he plays the same formation at Swansea as our youth team surely counts for something, especially when the idea was to play the same formation all the way through from under 16s (or whatever) to the senior team.

I still reckon we will get people in to be sporting and technical directors.

Barca could have got anyone they´d have wanted, but still they chose that lame duck looking guy to be Guardiolas successor. Can´t even remember his name. Why ?

Barca could have got anyone they´d have wanted, but still they chose that lame duck looking guy to be Guardiolas successor. Can´t even remember his name. Why ?

Come back when Brendan Rodgers has won 19 major honours in 4 years as assistant manager.

I wish people would stop saying Wenger was inexperienced when he went to Arsenal. He had been a manager for around a dozen years, won the league finished runnersup a few times. Also been in a European cup semi and brought through a few decent players at Monaco, Petit, Thuram, Weah.

It is a massive risk, if it pays off the owners will be lauded, if it fails then they will be hammered. It may well be somewhere in the middle where we bounce around 5-8th and get told to support him as he is young & hungry etc etc.

Most inexperienced managers fail more times than they succeed, does AvB think he took the step to Chelsea too soon, maybe maybe not. Evidence of not failing ie having no track record is not evidence of future success which is what some seem to be saying.

Is it easier for an inexperienced manager to take over a more stable team ie Rafa at Valencia or Dimatteo than to rebuild a team who knows. Klopp had eight years under his belt at a place where he was a one time club man, did it help Pep that he was a legend at Barca worshipped by most of the squad and I guess having a few decent players helped.

I wish people would stop saying Wenger was inexperienced when he went to Arsenal. He had been a manager for around a dozen years, won the league finished runnersup a few times. Also been in a European cup semi and brought through a few decent players at Monaco, Petit, Thuram, Weah.

It is a massive risk, if it pays off the owners will be lauded, if it fails then they will be hammered. It may well be somewhere in the middle where we bounce around 5-8th and get told to support him as he is young & hungry etc etc.

Most inexperienced managers fail more times than they succeed, does AvB think he took the step to Chelsea too soon, maybe maybe not. Evidence of not failing ie having no track record is not evidence of future success which is what some seem to be saying.

Is it easier for an inexperienced manager to take over a more stable team ie Rafa at Valencia or Dimatteo than to rebuild a team who knows. Klopp had eight years under his belt at a place where he was a one time club man, did it help Pep that he was a legend at Barca worshipped by most of the squad and I guess having a few decent players helped.

That is some retrospective stuff, that. Back when they hired him he was a total unknown quantity in the UK, as the newspaper headline 'Arsene Who?' suggests.

His record is his record, he wasn't a novice at all this was an era when anything foreign was unknown. He was offered the Bayern job but due to obstacles didn't take it up. it is a lazy myth that gets repeated all the time.

Ok so he wasn't inexperienced. He was still a massive fucking gamle by Arsenal, especially as their football had been the opposite polar of what he wanted to play.

Ok so he wasn't inexperienced. He was still a massive fucking gamle by Arsenal, especially as their football had been the opposite polar of what he wanted to play.

Managers who have won a league title and have 12 years experience, performed well in Europe tend to be less of a risk. Comparing Rodgers & Wenger records prior to joining Arsenal & us just doesn't seem accurate. I'm sure we can both agree that if Rodgers can have half his success then we will be happy.

Business

Dating

Classifieds

Holidays

Place an Ad

Compare Credit Cards

Rodgers hails 'educated' Swans and Reds supporters

Thursday, May 31, 2012South Wales Evening PostFollow

BRENDAN Rodgers has described Swansea City and Liverpool as "two class acts" after quitting the Liberty to take over at Anfield.

And Rodgers has set himself the target of leading Liverpool back towards the top end of the Premier League over the next couple of seasons.

Rodgers will today be unveiled as the new Reds boss after agreeing a three-year deal on Merseyside.

And he believes that given time and cash to invest in the playing squad, he can steer the five-time European Cup winners forward.

"The challenge for me at Liverpool, as it was when I came to Swansea, is to prove myself to the people both on and off the field," Rodgers said. "I will do what I have always done, which is to be committed to improving the club. The club's success will be the most important thing and we'll see where we are in the next few years."

As Liverpool manager, Rodgers will have transfer funds at his disposal that he could only have dreamt of at Swansea.

He insisted that Liverpool's owners scrapped the idea of appointing a director of football before agreeing to succeed Kenny Dalglish (below), so the responsibility for signing new players will lie with him.

"The challenge is to keep improving the group," Rodgers added.

"It's about getting into the real world. It's a group that I think in a couple of years can be competitive at the top end, but I will need to spend a little bit of money and I will need time to work. I will need time to bring my identity into the team — I need time to impose my philosophy on the group.

"There are some wonderful players at Liverpool, but to bring all that into the team is going to take a wee bit of time.

"It's a job where I need to align the playing identity and style and success with the supporters, because the supporters at Liverpool are renowned."

Rodgers has not forgotten how his side were applauded by the natives after Swansea's impressive goalless draw at Anfield last November.

He added: "I said before that I liken the Liverpool supporters to the Swansea supporters because of their education in the game, and I said that long before any of this came about. That's a massive part of the draw for me. The two clubs are very similar in that they are both class acts.

"The supporters at both clubs are brilliant. They are very passionate about their clubs, they love their cities and they are very educated in football terms.

"I believe there's a similar feel going into Liverpool as there was when I came into Swansea."

It's like Chelsea saying 'we have Frank Lampard who has been world class for many years, we dont need Hazard'.

Maybe Rodgers is so talented that he could become a great manager? And maybe the fits the bill better of someone building what the owners want long term than any of the other possibilities out there? When was the last time Capello built up a side? Or Van Gaal for that matter?

There is no risk free managerial appointment.

Not the correct analogy. An equivalent would replacing Frank Lampard with Henderson. And Its still doesnt work. Seeing that age comes more into as a player due to requirement of physical fitness.

When did Rodgers build a title winning or CL winning side? Both Van Gaal and Capello have.

3 year deal doesn't seem long enough

If we are going to completely change the infrastructural of the club, shouldn't we give him a longer deal so he has the time to implement his ideology?

Not really, covering their asses in case it goes wrong so less compensation to pay out. If he does well after the first season i'm sure they'll give him an extension.

If he's in charge of transfers surely he'll go for Gylfi as he really rates him.

Not really, covering their asses in case it goes wrong so less compensation to pay out. If he does well after the first season i'm sure they'll give him an extension.

If he's in charge of transfers surely he'll go for Gylfi as he really rates him.

But what if he doesn't do well in first season? He then has two years or less to save his job?

That interview he just done states he wants and needs time to implement his ideas on the players, i just don't think he will be able to do it within a year.

Got to say i am looking forward to next season. Dont think Agger or Skrtel will be with us, but i'm excited to see what he can do.

But what if he doesn't do well in first season? He then has two years or less to save his job?

That interview he just done states he wants and needs time to implement his ideas on the players, i just don't think he will be able to do it within a year.

Got to say i am looking forward to next season. Dont think Agger or Skrtel will be with us, but i'm excited to see what he can do.

I think both could stay one more season. But out of the two of them i think agger will definitely stay. They both have at least two years still on their contract don't they?