You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which would you prefer?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• Finish 4th in the league
    • Win both domestic cups and finish 8th

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i'm for real. And it played a major part in it. Ok?

What about the other various years where their seasons have collapsed? I'm guessing that was due to them not progressing in the league cup and they just imploded through depression. Nothing to do with the two or three sides that have finished above them in recent years having bigger and better squads than them and being able to replace injured players with players of a similar quality.

If you think losing the Carling cup has anything other than a very small impact if anything on the rest of a teams season especially one of the big four you're quite clearly stupid.

Offered the league cup over 4th place next season, I'd definitely take the latter.

With the proviso that it was a fairly close fourth; not the -30 points of Houllier '04 or -34 points of Moyes '05.

The FA Cup I'd like to win as much as possible, but if we won it 3 times and were still 40 points behind top spot I'd tire of that quite quickly I'd imagine.

Then there's the Europa......

What about the other various years where their seasons have collapsed? I'm guessing that was due to them not progressing in the league cup and they just imploded through depression. Nothing to do with the two or three sides that have finished above them in recent years having bigger and better squads than them and being able to replace injured players with players of a similar quality.

If you think losing the Carling cup has anything other than a very small impact if anything on the rest of a teams season especially one of the big four you're quite clearly stupid.

Winning Trophies is a habit. I'd be willing to bet a few bob that had we not beat Cardiff, we also would not be in the FA Cup Final now.

The club and the European cup are linked in a relationship of sheer elation and extreme devastation.

As a stepping stone, 2 cups would be good, but how many years in the wilderness is acceptable? If we were offered this scenario every year, how many would take it? Yet to read some of the comments in this thread, it would be hypocritical if we didn't accept it.

What's with the insults? I'm not sure you are getting what I mean. I'm talking about Arsenal last season. The manner in which they lost that game after having such a promising season till then was a huge factor in their implosion. They had just started to falter prior to that match so Dont tell me Wenger wasnt bothered about winning it. In that context the League cup was huge losing it hurt them big time.

I think some context is needed as well:

Is it 8th after ending 45 points behind the leaders, and much closer to relegation points-wise than 4th?

The end result isn't always what matters. Would you like to be Barcelona or Chelsea right now?

I have (unsurprisingly) voted 4th. That would mean we would be in a position to challenge for the biggest honours next season, both financially and personell-wise. I fear it's going to take another overhaul (and at least another year) before we get close to the top 4 again. Imo we've regressed massively since Rafa was cut, one (or even two) domestic cups doesn't change that, as those have always been about luck to a much bigger extent than the league and CL.

What thoughts will be running through the minds of you if we lift the cup?

Mainly joyful ones, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was afraid that the cups would be used in an attempt to cover up our dreadful league performance(s).

To me, another league season like this one would not be acceptable no matter how many domestic cups (and EL) we would bring in.

That is ace we've won two trophies this season but absolutely imperative that we get into the top four next season so that we can greatly improve our squad and compete for the two biggest trophies.

...and therein lies the problem. Because of our miserable campaign this year we will only be able to attract the Hendersons and Adams' of the world, instead of the required quality to push for 4th. I have zero confidence that we'll be anywhere near 4th next year barring a major shakeup.

Mainly joyful ones, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was afraid that the cups would be used in an attempt to cover up our dreadful league performance(s).

To me, another league season like this one would not be acceptable no matter how many domestic cups (and EL) we would bring in.

Cups are to be savoured not down played.

No one is happy with the league form, but ffs we've won nothing since 06. Lets just enjoy the potential of lifting another cup?

You can't win the league without being able to make the top four. You can get into the top four without winning the league. We want to win the title, don't we, so we must be able to get into the top four.

I'm fairly sure I've never said I want to do that, Ant.

I don't need your pity, Ant. I just want more successes than you do and I'm not blinded by the 'one success today and no success tomorrow' ethos that you're subscribing to and that would have seen us missing out on all the great times we had in Rafa's first three season, including a European Cup and an FA Cup.

I will enjoy it if we win the FA Cup, it's a great achievement. Just because I'd be willing to trade it for long term, continued success, doesn't mean I don't want to win things. You seem to be judging it on a single season basis. As if it's just FA Cup v 4th and no trophies. It's not about which is better, it's which gives us the better chance of winning the top trophies, on a consistent basis, over the long term.

Yep. Good post.

I'd be quite happy with the Hyppia's of this world coming in.

Too many people shit themselves about the extra money and the 'prestige'.

It's a bit rich kissing Newcastle's arse one minute, then claiming that doesn't apply here.

Our eye for a player has got to improve, otherwise the rest simply isn't relevant.

We've had a poor few years for one reason or another. That can change. While it does the odd trip to Wembley isn't going to hurt. it can even raise the spirits albeit not indefinitely.

Cups are to be savoured not down played.

No one is happy with the league form, but ffs we've won nothing since 06. Lets just enjoy the potential of lifting another cup?

I probably won't think negative thoughts for the next day or two, but should we win it, we'll quickly get back on the ground 3 days later when we meet them in the league 3 days later, checking our position in the table - being 40 pts behind 1st etc...

I'm just concerned by our long term future standing in the game, that's all...

And Kenny will do that. No one will be resting on their laurels.

Put it this way, I think it would be fair to say I'd be much more worried if we're still under the last lot. As it stands, we know our problems. We're not about to implode, we're doing okay.

Savour the moment look forward to the rebuilding process. We as a club need to be winning trophies like this, because it's been a fucking long time since we did so.

Fucking Enjoy it. If you don't want to enjoy it give me your fucking tickets. We minds as well be under the last lot because the mentality seemingly hasn't changed.

bob-geldof.jpg

If we don't finish in the top 4 we will never see Charlie Adam using his footballing genius to compete against the likes of Xavi, Messi, Ronaldo, Alonso etc

A day out at Wembley beating a championship team on penalties to win the mickey mouse cup or a wed night at Anfield under the floodlights playing the likes of Barca or Chelsea in the semi final of the champions league with all the prestige.publicity and drama

th ep[layerds

the players we have bought are not good enough no skill, end of