You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brad Jones

Antynwa

Great bloke, and said all the right things afterwards. I thought he had one shaky moment, but was solid enough for the rest. Shame some were talking shit about him, instead of giving words of encouragement. He's not good enough, but what is good enough is that he hid from nothing, and I'm delighted that the club I love could be a platform for the proudest day in his sporting life to date.

As an aside, the sniping on here is hideous, and disrespectful to the readers.

I wouldn't pretend to be confident about my own ability to judge keepers unless I've seen them for quite some time. I never thought Brad Friedel would become as good as keeper as he's done. I couldn't begin to judge Brad Jones, as I've only seen him a few times. I can only say he looks like he needs a full season playing somewhere. As a man, however, he seems like a really decent and likeable bloke, and I'm really happy for him.

I can't help but think some people on here would have been happier if he'd let two in between his legs in added time and we'd lost 2-3.

A bit sad at times, our victory celebrations these days.

Anyway, I enjoyed his moment in the sun, flappy uncertain clearances and all.

Mind you, I'm a horrible Australian.

To throw him into the Blackburn game was tough luck. No real preparation for that or Wembley. It's hard to say how Doni would have handled it, but since both he and Pepe were suspended, we'll perhaps never know. Kudos to Brad for stepping up. Iin the face of everything, burying a son, having spent no time at all with his new baby boy, taking up the mantle of keeper on one of the biggest games of our season, can we cut him just a tiny bit of slack for helping us beat our fiercest rivals in a cup semi at Wembley? Please. Let him (and the rest of us who want to) enjoy yesterday.

Guest ShoePiss
Glad for Jones. Took a lot of stick on here. To some who took the piss it must feel like a real kick in the teeth.

Anyone who feels like they've had a kick in the teeth because Jones didnt fuck up would have to be an Evertonian. I was very pleased for him on a personal level as well as for the team obviously.

• 7 months later...
He's signed a long term contract.

Good on him I say, he's more than proved himself as a decent understudy to Pepe.

If this had happened over the summer, I'd have been baffled. But he deputised well when Pepe was injured, and he seems to have come back stronger so dare we say that he's pressured him into better performances?

Seems like a popular guy in the dressing room as well.

6 months ago I'd have said this would be a disaster, but now whilst it isn't great news or anything its certainly not bad news and fair play to him the changing the perception, when Pepe got back to fitness I really wasn't bothered whether he got back in again although Pepe now seems to be getting back to form too now

anyway Jones seems like a top lad and well done to him for earning the new deal

Great news for him.

He seems content with being the understudy at a club he loves - a bit like Steve Harper at Newcastle. That's not a bad thing but I don't have much confidence in Jones and I suppose this means Gulacsi isn't going to get a chance as deputy - pretty difficult to bring young goalkeepers through at any club though.

On a related note, has anyone found Doni yet?