You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If you like JD and Beam then there single barrells are very good value over Xmas as they're reduced to £25-30, JB Devils Cut also a option. If you like sweet then Makers Mark, they also do a stronger MM46 for about 35, oaky Wood flavour Woodford Reserve. A bit stronger prood can't go wrong with Wild Turkey 101 or the around 35 is WT rare breed . Cheap Buffalo Trace is good. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

If you like JD and Beam then there single barrells are very good value over Xmas as they're reduced to £25-30, JB Devils Cut also a option. If you like sweet then Makers Mark, they also do a stronger MM46 for about 35, oaky Wood flavour Woodford Reserve. A bit stronger prood can't go wrong with Wild Turkey 101 or the around 35 is WT rare breed . Cheap Buffalo Trace is good. 

Repped when I refill. 

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Why would you waste whisky when acid will do the same job. 

This explains it

Fat washing alcohol is a simple yet very effective way to infuse alcohol with rich fat-based savory flavor.

https://www.theflavorbender.com/fat-washed-butter-rum-fat-washing-technique/

Cheers.

It's a right pain in the arse when you've got a few bodies you need to get rid of and you're out of HF though- massive potential social faux-pas. Just being able to tool down to the offie and get a few bottles of whisky to do the trick would be great.

• 6 months later...

Both makers and buffalo are lovely, makers is probably my favourite tipple.

Wild turkey 81 proof is nice, not one for the purists as it's a weaker abv than normal wild turkey (still about 40%) but then wild turkey is pretty strong. This is much smoother and easy to drink neat. 

Saw some Canadian whisky in Morrisons, anyone recommend any? @neko @Alan Sex @Nunavut Patrick

• Upvote 1

Yeah I’d go for Wild Turkey too, that’s my favourite of the £25-35 priced bourbons. I like the normal one better than the 81. 

Another lovely one is Knob Creek. I know it sounds like the name of Stigs house but trust me it’s nice. Usually about £25-30 delivered on Amazon.

Get the Makers Mark soon as well.

• Upvote 1

Wild turkey 101 higher abv, good price. 

Lower ABV doesn't always make a smother drink, I have less alcohol burn on my Stagg jnr 66.2% than on some 42% bottles. Makers is shite if you ask me, over sweet, watery boring crap. Got big by clever marketing. 

Jim Beam double oak

If you don't mind spending a little more around £35 Eagle Rare, four roses small batch are definitely a step up without spending that much. 

I can recommend a few more but the price will be up in the mid 40s to £120 a bottle 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Lower ABV doesn't always make a smother drink, I have less alcohol burn on my Stagg jnr 66.2% than on some 42% bottles. Makers is shite if you ask me, over sweet, watery boring crap. Got big by clever marketing. 

Jim Beam double oak

If you don't mind spending a little more around £35 Eagle Rare, four roses small batch are definitely a step up without spending that much. 

I can recommend a few more but the price will be up in the mid 40s to £120 a bottle 

I think Eagle Rare is very overrated. Had half a bottle sitting there for about a year while I drink other stuff. 

Blantons is a lovely mid price drop but it’s hard to find lately 

31 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Jim Beam double oak

What's the ordinary four roses stuff like?

Could do with going to a good Bourbon and Whisky tasting session at some point. Problem with it is that's it's not cheap so to spunk 30 quid on something you might not ever drink again after one glass is a risk so the tendency is to always stick with what you've had before.

Keep a eye out for reduced whisky Advent calendars. Or head to a good quality shop. I'm lucky with the Whisky Exchange and a few others in London nearby. 

These bigger stores will have taster bottles that can be from £3-8 each and give to 3cl to try them. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This looks alright, only thing is the reviews reckon you don't always get what's advertised, which kind of defeats the object.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinks-Dram-Bourbon-Tasting-Set/dp/B00N5HNAWU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bourbon+samples&qid=1594753870&sr=8-1

£30 for 150ml overall. They're a good idea but pricy. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Both makers and buffalo are lovely, makers is probably my favourite tipple.

Wild turkey 81 proof is nice, not one for the purists as it's a weaker abv than normal wild turkey (still about 40%) but then wild turkey is pretty strong. This is much smoother and easy to drink neat. 

Saw some Canadian whisky in Morrisons, anyone recommend any? @neko @Alan Sex @Nunavut Patrick

Whiskey isn’t really my thing - Rum or Tequila for me. 

I know a lot of people who enjoy Crown Royal or JP Wiser’s. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Alan Sex said:

Whiskey isn’t really my thing - Rum or Tequila for me. 

I know a lot of people who enjoy Crown Royal or JP Wiser’s. 

That's handy because this is the bourbon thread.