You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

8 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

He's a fucking first class prick, I've fought racism all my life and not going to have some silly little cunt throw labels on me without a retort. 

As for him being right wing I take it you were willing to turn a blind eye to his defence of billionaire factory bosses who subjected workers at two sisters poultry factorys to low pay and atrocious working conditions? 

Show me where he’s done that? 

I've heard the p-word used in banter between friends who employed ethnic slurs against each other for humorous effect. Surely whether a word is offensive or not depends entirely upon context. When the missus calls me a shylock, I know it's just a private joke between two people who have chosen to spend their lives together; if a stranger in the street said it to me, I'd probably not take it as well. If you're singing along to a Kanye West track = not racist. If you go into an African food store and start throwing the n-word around at the staff = racist. The idea that some words are always taboo is a toxic one.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The idea that some words are always taboo is a toxic one.

There's no sense in which you can use an N or a P (or a Y) and not be aware that it's racist as fuck. That's not the same as saying that words should be banned - contexts in which people use those words in jokes or with an idea of "reclaiming" it are still underpinned by the knowledge that those words are racist as fuck, every time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There's no sense in which you can use an N or a P (or a Y) and not be aware that it's racist as fuck. That's not the same as saying that words should be banned - contexts in which people use those words in jokes or with an idea of "reclaiming" it are still underpinned by the knowledge that those words are racist as fuck, every time.

I don't see how that can be the case, since they're not even consistently racist in different countries. The P-word is racist here, but not in the USA. The word "Oriental" is racist in the USA, but not here. Some words acquire racist connotations over time, some lose them.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't see how that can be the case, since they're not even consistently racist in different countries. The P-word is racist here, but not in the USA. The word "Oriental" is racist in the USA, but not here. Some words acquire racist connotations over time, some lose them.

Is the P word really not racist in the USA (i.e. people use the word and nobody is offended) or is it just not used?

The word Oriental (when used to describe a person) is racist in the UK.

Some words have changed their significance in different times and places (for example, Martin Luther King used the word Negro with a frequency that would raise eyebrows today) but other words - including the aforementioned P, N & Y - have never been anything but racist.

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is the P word really not racist in the USA (i.e. people use the word and nobody is offended) or is it just not used?

The word Oriental (when used to describe a person) is racist in the UK.

Some words have changed their significance in different times and places (for example, Martin Luther King used the word Negro with a frequency that would raise eyebrows today) but other words - including the aforementioned P, N & Y - have never been anything but racist.

I never knew that 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I never knew that 

Angry appears to be making things up.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Oriental

Use of the term Oriental to describe a person is considered dated and potentially offensive in North America.

Last I checked, this wasn't North America, despite a similar exponential increase in perpetually offended mewling quims.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Angry appears to be making things up.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Oriental

Last I checked, this wasn't North America, despite a similar exponential increase in perpetually offended mewling quims.

Lovely stuff.

Next time you're out in Chinatown, be sure to refer to the waiters as Orientals - and then call them mewling quims if they kick fuck out of you.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Lovely stuff.

Next time you're out in Chinatown, be sure to refer to the waiters as Orientals - and then call them mewling quims if they kick fuck out of you.

Disprove your bullshit with facts, did I? Poor baby.

I wouldn't go around calling Chinese waiters "Oriental" any more than I'd go around calling a French sommelier "Frenchman", or calling my dad "Jew". I find using people's names is generally more productive. Nevertheless, none of those terms are inherently racist. In this country.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think the problem with the word 'Oriental(s)' is that the only people who tend to use it call Kenya 'Keenya' and harbour secret regrets that Britains lofty colonial ambitions have been put on hold.

But when those people describe people as "Orientals" they're not being racist; Stronts said so (while apparently belting one out over how massively clever he is).