You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There's been some very well constructed posts on here, can someone however answer me this:

I had the miss fortune to watch 'Take me out' the other night.

On this show, on 3 occasions the women rejected a date on the 'island of Fernando's' (Tenerife) with a ginger guy because 'i don't do/ like ginger people' or 'eewww ginger people'.

Now this was broadcast prime time on ITV, if the word 'black' was substituted for 'ginger' would it have even been broadcast ?

Is this not a form of (socially acceptable) racism ?

Don't get me wrong I call my ginger mate 'Fox piss' all the time, i just think there is an astonishing level of irony here.

I am stunned.

Md is one of the stupidest cunts on this website

Oh do fuck off you tedious twat. I was merely posing a reasonable question and asking people for their thoughts on the points raised.

Instead of just blandly insulting people why not actually answer a question or engage in a debate for a change?

Do you have nothing better to do than troll constantly, you sad, sad, little man?

Oh do fuck off you tedious twat. I was merely posing a reasonable question and asking people for their thoughts on the points raised.

Instead of just blandly insulting people why not actually answer a question or engage in a debate for a change?

Do you have nothing better to do than troll constantly, you sad, sad, little man?

If you really believe that abusing gingers is 'a form of racism' then I'm with Silverlining on this one.

If you really believe that abusing gingers is 'a form of racism' then I'm with Silverlining on this one.

I was merely asking for someone to explain the difference, as the example I gave was also prejudice against someone for their skin colour/type, is that so difficult to understand ? One form seems socially acceptable whilst the other isn't.

Just interested in trying to have a reasonable debate without it descending into petty squabbles, all be it too late it would appear.

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Is gingerism as bad as racism?

I was merely asking for someone to explain the difference, as the example I gave was also prejudice against someone for their skin colour/type, is that so difficult to understand ? One form seems socially acceptable whilst the other isn't.

Just interested in trying to have a reasonable debate without it descending into petty squabbles, all be it too late it would appear.

BBC NEWS | UK | Magazine | Is gingerism as bad as racism?

As somebody said earlier,it might have something to do with being dragged away from their families in chains and forced to row thousands of miles with little food and water and if they were still alive then being sold to rich white people to look after them for the rest of their miserable days.

Gingers havent had much of that as I recall.

As somebody said earlier,it might have something to do with being dragged away from their families in chains and forced to row thousands of miles with little food and water and if they were still alive then being sold to rich white people to look after them for the rest of their miserable days.

Gingers haven't had much of that as I recall.

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun:

• The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
  • Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Does saying something downright unacceptable to someone only be classed as racism if previous generations enslaved / brutalised them? Bear in mind that nearly every creed or colour have been enslaved / brutalised by others at some point in history by others.

Obviously the word n****r is a thow back from the days of slavery, and of course is unacceptable in todays society as i have previously said.

But to say something is only racist on the basis of historical atrocities, is quite frankly ridiculous.

rac·ism/ˈrāˌsizəm/

Noun:

• The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, esp. so as to distinguish it as...
  • Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief.

Does saying something downright unacceptable to someone only be classed as racism if previous generations enslaved / brutalised them? Bear in mind that nearly every creed or colour have been enslaved / brutalised by others at some point in history by others.

Obviously the word n****r is a thow back from the days of slavery, and of course is unacceptable in todays society as i have previously said.

But to say something is only racist on the basis of historical atrocities, is quite frankly ridiculous.

I'm sure Adolf would agree with you.

MD, I often have a similar conversation with idiot white people who think being called Honky and Cracker is just as bad as being called Nigger.

Racism is far worse than a bad word being used, it's to do with a lengthy history of oppression, double standards,profiling, bigotry, hatred and elitism that us Honky Crackers could never understand. Whilst I'm sure Fanta-Pants types like Monty and Unrighteous get really sick of the tedious repetitive shit jokes about their rusty outgrowths, it's not quite the same thing.

MD, I often have a similar conversation with idiot white people who think being called Honky and Cracker is just as bad as being called Nigger.

Racism is far worse than a bad word being used, it's to do with a lengthy history of oppression, double standards,profiling, bigotry, hatred and elitism that us Honky Crackers could never understand. Whilst I'm sure Fanta-Pants types like Monty and Unrighteous get really sick of the tedious repetitive shit jokes about their rusty outgrowths, it's not quite the same thing.

Repped

Edited by Rapey Hugh
seems i must spread first but it is on its way!

Nothing is worse or even close, than using the 'n' word Remmie, and I would never say that it is. My point is in today's ultra-liberal media when people are being hung out to dry for using the word 'black' or 'coloured'. Yet gingers get a load of abuse regardless. I don't think there is a great deal of institutionalised racism in this country anymore given the ethnic diversity of most of the institutions. I am mearly trying to comprehend why it is ok to take the piss out of someone because of their skin colour, yet not someone with a different colour skin ? That to me institutionalised hypocrisy. Primarily down to the fact that the gingers don't kick off about it.

Guest San Don

What I'd like to know is whether a black man would take more offense if a white man came up to him and said 'you black cunt' or if he said 'your mother's a fucking aids ridden whore'?

Both are abusive, both are offensive, but one is allowed in the PL and one isn't.

Sorry but your assertion isnt correct ie that one statement is allowed in the PL while the other isnt. They are both, within the letter of the FA rules abusive and a ref is empowered to book a player for saying 'your mother's a fucking aids ridden whore.'

This is shown in the fa's charge of Suarez in 'using abusive and \ or insulting words' and \ or the racial element.

Its just players tend to get booked for insulting the ref rather than an opponent.

Anyway, I tried to read all the posts in this thread. Im not certain how much people's attitude has changed to racism due to the Suarez and that oldham lad's (cannot remember his name) situation.

Got to say Im uneasy about some of the comments here. Saying stuff like there's no slavery anymore (so its ok to forget or ignore it happened?) is a bit like saying there's no absolute poverty in the UK anymore so scrap the whole welfare state, from unemployment benefits through to the NHS.

There's supposed to be progress in society. Discrimination is when something, whatever it may be is used to keep people 'in their place,' stop them getting promoted or stop them getting a job in the first place.

Difficult one I admit especially as some rappers use the 'nigga' word in their songs. it gets very hard to bring your kids up not to use certain words when a race themselves then 'reclaim' the word and use it to popularise their songs.

Must admit though, that still makes me uneasy hearing it.

Nothing is worse or even close, than using the 'n' word Remmie, and I would never say that it is. My point is in today's ultra-liberal media when people are being hung out to dry for using the word 'black' or 'coloured'. Yet gingers get a load of abuse regardless. I don't think there is a great deal of institutionalised racism in this country anymore given the ethnic diversity of most of the institutions. I am mearly trying to comprehend why it is ok to take the piss out of someone because of their skin colour, yet not someone with a different colour skin ? That to me institutionalised hypocrisy. Primarily down to the fact that the gingers don't kick off about it.

I disagree.

I think coloured is considered a bit of a dated ignorant word and isn't the same as saying someone is black. I understand your point about appearance but I feel the historical context of skin colour racism counters it so I don't really understand why you keep on repeating it. You are saying skin and hair both parts of the body that gets the colour mocked and are therefore equivalent, I am saying the history of skin colour insult means they aren't.

I also think the media is not remotely "ultra-liberal".

Edited by Remmie

I think coloured is considered a bit of a dated ignorant word and isn't the same as saying someone is black. I understand your point about appearance but I feel the historical context of skin colour racism counters it so I don't really understand why you keep on repeating it. Youa re saying skin and hair both parts of the body that gets the colour mocked and are therefore equivalent, I am saying the history of skin colour insult means they aren't.

I also think the media is not remotely "ultra-liberal".

I have no idea how anyone could try and say that with a straight face.