You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Without watching it, or even wishing to, I cannot understand how anyone could mistreat people in their care.

Care being the OP word, be it old, ill, or indeed mentally/Physically disabled.

Anyone who mistreats in any shape or form any of the above who are in their care, should be charged in the same way as peados rapists and murderers, and to my new world way of thinking, should be horsewhipped in public, then left in stocks until they dry out and die.

Or, handed over to the family of the person they mistreated for punishment, and if they were unable to do it, then the family can pass them over to me, and I will deal with them.

Cunts to a man/woman.

Apologies, I get annoyed at fucktards like this, especially knowing the courts will only give them some shitty weak probation or comservice.

Without watching it, or even wishing to, I cannot understand how anyone could mistreat people in their care.

Care being the OP word, be it old, ill, or indeed mentally/Physically disabled.

Anyone who mistreats in any shape or form any of the above who are in their care, should be charged in the same way as peados rapists and murderers, and to my new world way of thinking, should be horsewhipped in public, then left in stocks until they dry out and die.

Or, handed over to the family of the person they mistreated for punishment, and if they were unable to do it, then the family can pass them over to me, and I will deal with them.

Cunts to a man/woman.

Apologies, I get annoyed at fucktards like this, especially knowing the courts will only give them some shitty weak probation or comservice.

As much as I'm definitely not a fan of lynch-mob mentality, I cried buckets watching the parents' reactions to the footage because I know realistically my own son could be in one of those places one day and if I saw what they saw I swear I would hunt those cunts down and kill them.

Nice one, LF. How the hell did you manage 3 months in that place? It's a similar situation to the one Paul spoke about on the other thread. He didn't give up trying to do the right thing despite repeatedly banging his head against a brick wall. Nor have you; and thanks to that determination not only are the eyes of the country on this one hospital, but they have been opened up to systematic abuse throughout the system. I hope the CQC are forced to change the procedures because of your good work

God bless tha GF!

Get tha basstardz and fix the whole goddam system ourselves from the NHS to the economy to privatised service of care that are a vision of what our NHS will become when the privatisations increase exponentially over the coming years. Watch out though folks the GF has got ya back and will continue to hold it down and represent to the fullest as the world comes crashing down all around it. Like Bowie in Labrynth Jerreth we finding maggots in our apples and bring our boulders into battle.

As much as I'm definitely not a fan of lynch-mob mentality, I cried buckets watching the parents' reactions to the footage because I know realistically my own son could be in one of those places one day and if I saw what they saw I swear I would hunt those cunts down and kill them.

Nice one, LF. How the hell did you manage 3 months in that place? It's a similar situation to the one Paul spoke about on the other thread. He didn't give up trying to do the right thing despite repeatedly banging his head against a brick wall. Nor have you; and thanks to that determination not only are the eyes of the country on this one hospital, but they have been opened up to systematic abuse throughout the system. I hope the CQC are forced to change the procedures because of your good work

I only saw the last few minutes with the ginger lad going home, and I must admit, I'm rather glad I didn't see any more, because I think I would have been rather depressed and upset.

I've not had a chance to read this thread yet, I wanted to get on here last night but was watching the programme with Terry Bryan (the nurse on the programme) and some of the families.

I am meant to keep this quiet but don't give a shit anymore.

I am the whistleblower who contacted the BBC. I worked at that shithole of a 'hospital' for 3 months and walked out in disgust after my numerous complaints were ignored. I complained internally and through the CQC, I was ignored and received the same treatment as Terry.

As I still work in the industry and hope to remain working in it the BBC used terry instead of myself as believe it or not whistleblowers are still frowned upon.

I thought you were mighty keen that everyone should see this, so much so that I very nearly made a light-hearted post last week asking if you had a personal interest in the programme! Many a true word and all that.

Fair play for what you did. I am a firm believer that when authorities won't take the action they should, grassing them up to the media is the way to go. If I ran an organisation, I would prefer to have people who were principled enough to blow a whistle.

Yeah I had a feeling too.

Great work lifetime fan, you can be rightly proud that you have made a difference. Yet another proud day for the GF.

• Upvote 1

Whaddaleg'

Awesome work LF.

I didn't watch it, not sure if I want to after reading the replies to this thread and feeling myself getting upset and angry.

That's a bit gay, I know, but I'm comfortable with that.

This'll be on the iplayer, won't it?

The sad thing is' date=' it's not an isolated case. That kind of thing is happening up and down the country. I remember a similar programme some years ago. [b']Think it was McIntyre[/b], or something like that. Whats even more upsetting is in a week or two the vast majority of people watching this programme tonight wont even remember the name of that place.

You're right mate.

A decade after Donal Macintyre exposed abuse in care settings, after the Cornwall inquiry and this is still going on in this day and age.

I don't mind admitting I cried watching that last night.

Whaddaleg'

Awesome work LF.

I didn't watch it, not sure if I want to after reading the replies to this thread and feeling myself getting upset and angry.

That's a bit gay, I know, but I'm comfortable with that.

This'll be on the iplayer, won't it?

For a year mate.

As distressing as it is to watch I'd urge everone to watch this.

If I watch. I guarantee I'll cry. I'm really gay like that.

In touch with my feminine side, I mean.

No worries mate, there wasn't a dry eye in the house last night when we watched this and I've cried several times today just thinking about it.

I can see why people would be aprehensive about watching this but people really do need to see the level of torture that was going on in that place.

It is not the first time the quality of care at Castlebeck facilities has come under scrutiny. A coroner last month signalled concerns about a Castlebeck hospital to the Ministry of Justice following an inquest into the death of a 38-year-old man with learning disabilities who died after being restrained, it has emerged.

Derek Lovegrove died in July 2006, at Cedar Vale in East Bridgford, Nottingham, an inquest heard in May. The coroner recorded an open verdict on the grounds it could not be determined whether the restraint contributed to Lovegrove's death.

The Nottinghamshire deputy coroner, Martin Gotheridge, said he would write to Cedar Vale and the Ministry of Justice, to outline concerns which had emerged during the inquest. He told reporters: "I think from the evidence I heard the system was there, the policy, the care plan – but no one seemed to check that it was followed."

Panorama care home investigation prompts government inspections | Society | The Guardian

I still don't know how.

What I do know was it almost cost me my relationship with the bird. How she put up with me those 3 months I have no idea! We would end up arguing of an evening and she'd tell me I was back in work tomorrow. The place had such an affect on my mood she knew if I was working the next day or not just because I was being a cunt to her.

Working there and seeing the level of abuse whilst complaint after complaint was ignored, not acted upon and denied it had ever been made really fucked me up.

EDIT: I do know how I lasted that long, Simon. The ginger lad on the programme. He was a pleasure to know and work for. I have never in my life met anyone with as dirty a laugh as he has, the guy was amazing and I clicked with him the first day I met him. When I was working there Simone had not been placed there and Simon was taking the full force of the staff's abuse.

Following a morning handover I would literally sprint to get to his bedroom first as I would then be able to shave him that day and make sure I was allocated to work with him all shift. If I was with him I knew no one else was abusing him. The last day I worked there I walked out in tears dreading what would happen to him.

The reason Simon was a victim of so much abuse was his spirit. Despite all the shit those bastards gave him he would not let them break him. They desperately wanted him to 'break' and be 'obedient' but no matter what they tried (and as you've seen they tried the lot!) he kept his personality, humour and stubborness.

For that I'll always respect the man.

The whistle-blower at the centre of a 'shocking' case of abuse of adults with learning difficulties first raised his concerns in October.

The Government has ordered a report into how warnings of systematic abuse towards vulnerable adults at Winterbourne View residential hospital, in Bristol, were not acted upon by local authorities and England's social care regulator the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

The former nurse at the hospital has been named in reports as Terry Bryan. Despite contacting the care home's management and the CQC on several occasions his concerns failed to be followed up, according to reports today.

Vile: Care workers dragged vulnerable patients around like animals at the Winterbourne View private care home in Bristol

Vicious: Care workers trapped the young people with learning difficulties under chairs at the state-of-the-art home and stamped on their wrists if they complained

Mr Bryan, a senior nurse, is reported to have started work at the Winterbourne View residential hospital last August.

He became concerned about the standard of care and complained to the home's managers in a four-page e-mail in October, but when managers failed to address his concerns he resigned.

According to The Daily Telegraph, he wrote in the four-page email: 'Certain established staff members seem to relish restraint procedures.

'I have witnessed some with smiles on their faces as they restrain people. I see scant regard for the person's feelings whilst they are being held... and definitely no empathy.'

The publication of the email came as it emerged Britain's care watchdog is to stage dawn raids on institutions across the country following the revelations of ‘barbaric’ abuse.

Ministers also ordered an urgent review into the Care Quality Commission itself after shocking revelations that the watchdog ignored repeated warnings about the appalling treatment there.

Police arrested three men and one woman yesterday after an undercover reporter shot footage of vulnerable adults at the Winterbourne View care home in Bristol being dragged, punched, slapped and taunted by carers.

Privately run: Winterbourne View cares for up to 24 patients and employs around 50 members of staff. It is funded by taxpayers

One member of staff trapped patients under chairs while he sat on them watching television.

A female patient had shower gel squirted in her eyes and was left in a freezing garden after having a jug of cold water poured over her.

She was also asked by a carer: ‘Do you want me to get out a cheese grater and grate your face off?

‘Do you want me to turn you into a giant pepperoni? Shall I get a razor and cut you up?’ he added.

More...Sharks who made a killing out of 'care': How City predators destroyed firm caring for 31,000 old people

England’s social care regulator last night issued an ‘unreserved apology’ after admitting it failed to respond to warnings of abuse.

But amid calls for the CQC to be disbanded and replaced, its chairman, Dame Jo Williams, insisted she would not resign, blaming ‘an unforgivable error of judgment’ by staff for the failure to act.

She confirmed a former nurse had contacted the Commission at least twice to complain about treatment of residents at the hospital.

Turning to the social care regulator, Mr Bryan raised the issues with the CQC in December asking them to get in touch about serious abuse taking place at the home.

Despite trying to contact the regulator several times, he received no response and in frustration took his concerns to the BBC's Panorama.

But Dame Jo said inspectors did not attempt to speak directly to the whistleblower because staff assumed any problems would be picked up through normal safeguarding procedures.

Describing the scandal as ‘dreadful and unacceptable’, she said: ‘We are doing an internal investigation.

‘It would appear that it was an error of judgment – assumptions were made about what other people were doing. These were false assumptions.’

Downing Street described the case as ‘very shocking’ and ordered the Department of Health into action.

Care services minister Paul Burstow announced that the CQC would have to stage unannounced inspections on care homes, rather than giving them advance notice.

Winterbourne View is a privately-run hospital which cares for up to 24 patients, employs around 50 members of staff and is funded by taxpayers.

The abuse was filmed by an undercover reporter for the BBC’s Panorama who worked at the facility in February and March.

Wayne Rogers, 30, Graham Doyle, 25, Jason Gardener, 42, and Allison Dove, 24, have now been released on bail by Avon and Somerset police.

Refusing to resign: Dame Jo Williams has said she will not quit her job as chairman of the Care Quality Commission

In the Panorama footage, Rogers can be seen apparently encouraging a female patient to commit suicide, and in another he threw jugs of cold water in a woman’s face before turning on an electric fan to freeze her into complying.

The heavily tattooed member of staff was recorded goading patients and threatening them with violence. He then delivered on his threats as he physically abused the people in his care, treading on a woman’s hand and kicking a patient to the ground.

Mark Goldring, chief executive of learning disability charity Mencap, called for the hospital to be closed down, describing the behaviour of individual members of staff as ‘cruel and barbaric’ and management as ‘either complicit or non-existent’.

Simon Tovey, who is 36, but has a mental age of four, was punched, kicked and verbally taunted.

His mother Ann, a 57-year-old chef, said yesterday: ‘Seeing what they did to Simon was dreadful. I was appalled, and those images will stay with me for the rest of my life.

‘Simon has a very strong sense of right and wrong, and he knew he was being treated terribly. It had never occurred to me that professional carers could behave in that way. They were supposed to be looking at ways to help him.

‘It was like a Victorian asylum. They just looked for ways they could provoke the people in their care.’

Within hours of seeing the secretly filmed footage from the hospital, she had arranged for him to be moved to an alternative facility.

Mrs Tovey said she is considering legal action on her son’s behalf.

Care homes face dawn raids after Winterbourne view abuse exposed | Mail Online

Top work there, LF.

I haven't seen the programme, but reading this thread is probably enough for me. This kind of abuse and injustice does my head in.

I'd urge everyone to watch the programme mate, I fully understand how distressing it is but people need to see what went on in that place.

Outstanding LF. Well done mate. That was heartbreaking to watch.

The only small bright spot on the horizon is knowing how those cunts Wayne and Graham are going to be treated in prison. Which is where they are going.

Care Quality Commission has shortage of inspectors.

England's care home regulator has a staff shortage of nearly 300, including some 133 inspectors, it has said.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) has 283 unfilled posts in its workforce, including inspectors whose job it is to ensure care homes meet standards.

It blamed a recruitment freeze imposed by the Government last year - but the Department of Health said it relaxed the curb in February.

Charities have expressed concern at news of the shortfall.

Shadow health and social care minister Emily Thornberry said she wrote to Health Minister Paul Burstow on Friday to ask for an independent inquiry into whether the CQC had sufficient powers and resources.

"It's a matter of great concern that, at a time when the work of the CQC is set to increase sharply and when care services are under such stress as a result of government cutbacks, that it can be 133 inspectors short," she added.

News of the shortfall, initially reported by the Financial Times, comes after serious questions were raised over the care industry, as abuse at the Winterbourne View home for learning disabilities sufferers and financial problems at Southern Cross care homes came to light.

Southern Cross, Britain's largest care home provider, has delayed rent payments to its landlords in an effort to fend off bankruptcy.

Secret filming by BBC Panorama, broadcast on Tuesday, found a pattern of serious abuse at Winterbourne View.

'Unreserved apology'

The regulator said that following an internal review it recognised that "there were indications of problems at this hospital which should have led to us taking action sooner".

It offered an "unreserved apology" after admitting it failed to respond to at least two warnings from a former nurse at the centre in Bristol.

The Government has ordered a report into the abuse.

An inspector working for the CQC has told the Daily Mail the regulator was understaffed and unable to make the necessary inspections.

The inspector said checks on hospitals had been sidelined and the CQC was "completely hampered by bureaucracy and red tape".

Fully accountable

Mark Milton, chief operating officer of the National Autistic Society, said: "We are extremely concerned that there have been 70% fewer inspections of adult care services in the past year, which may be partly attributable to a lack of inspection staff.

"The horrifying abuse uncovered by Panorama shows a clear need for robust regulation, as well as high-quality commissioning and the development of a culture within organisations of zero tolerance of abuse.

"We are calling on the government to ensure that the CQC is properly resourced to provide a fully accountable regulatory system that protects the vulnerable people that we all trust in them to support."

David Congdon, head of campaigns and policy at Mencap, said: "The government must look at investing money into the sector to ensure the safety and quality of life of some of society's most vulnerable."

A spokeswoman for the Royal College of Nursing said the CQC needed to demonstrate it was a "robust regulator with real teeth".

"Clearly it has some urgent work to do to make certain that it can fulfil this important role - and this includes the proper resources to enable it to deliver," the spokeswoman added.

The CQC said its inspection rate had fallen while it assessed care providers as part of a new system - but they were now on the rise again.

It said it was "committed" to effective regulation.

A spokeswoman said: "The CQC has had a recruitment freeze imposed on it after the election which has only just been raised and we are beginning to recruit frontline staff."

A Department of Health spokesman said the recruitment freeze was relaxed in February and it approved the recruitment of 75 inspectors in October

"The hiring of inspectors and staff is the direct responsibility of the CQC," a spokesman added.

BBC News - Care Quality Commission has shortage of inspectors

I've just watched this. It was sickening. I watched it with my mum, who currently looks after her ill father. She couldn't watch any more, thinking that that kind of shit could potentially be happening to him if she didn't care for him.

I hope that bald twat gets bummed and abused in prison.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gave my statement to police Saturday morning, at the moment my name will not be released but if any of the abusers go to trial I'm likely to be all over the media unfortunately.

Two nurses (Kelvin and Apu) who stood back and did nothing whilst service users were being abuse have today been suspended by the nmc.

I gave my statement to police Saturday morning, at the moment my name will not be released but if any of the abusers go to trial I'm likely to be all over the media unfortunately.

Two nurses (Kelvin and Apu) who stood back and did nothing whilst service users were being abuse have today been suspended by the nmc.

I'm really glad to hear that. They were just as guilty as the actual perpetrators. They were supposed to be professionals.