You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I wonder if Abs will be contributing to this forum when we take back our top 4 position ahead of them?

I hope not.

Alvarez will be banging them in next year, so there's not chance we can catch Arsenal. His goals for Inter do count for Arsenal, don't they?

Id like it if we pinched Parker off the rent boys on loan.

Ideal situation for us.

Theres nobody in our current line up that does what he does.

We are light on ball winning midfielders.

Fact.

Oh and we need a decent centre back or two very badly.

I would also like to see Joe Cole given a proper go without being left to play with the mongs every time.

Ideal situation for us.

Fact.

Oh and we need a decent centre back or two very badly.

I would also like to see Joe Cole given a proper go without being left to play with the mongs every time.

Yep, we are definitely light on CMs

Ideal situation for us.

Fact..

But if we bought another CM without addressing our problem positions I would pull me hair out.

Please God! Nooooo!

Staunton set for Liverpool role [Irish Times]

Soccer: Former Republic of Ireland boss Steve Staunton is on the verge of taking up a coaching position at a Premier League club, believed to be Liverpool.

Speaking at a press conference in his native Dundalk yesterday to promote a Dundalk Legends v Liverpool Legends fundraising game at Oriel Park on July 23rd, the 102 time capped former defender said a deal was all but agreed for him take up a “football position” at a top-flight outfit.

That led to suggestions that a return to his former club Liverpool was on the cards. Staunton remained tight-lipped about his destination although he did say the job was with a club that is currently on its pre-season tour. Liverpool are currently on a jaunt of Asia.

“I can’t speak to the club at the minute because they are on their pre-season tour,” said Staunton. “When they come back, we will discuss it further but it’s more or less done and dusted. Since the Ireland job, I’ve been involved at the lower levels. It would be nice to get back into the Premiership.”

Please God! Nooooo!

Soccer: Former Republic of Ireland boss Steve Staunton is on the verge of taking up a coaching position at a Premier League club, believed to be Liverpool.

Speaking at a press conference in his native Dundalk yesterday to promote a Dundalk Legends v Liverpool Legends fundraising game at Oriel Park on July 23rd, the 102 time capped former defender said a deal was all but agreed for him take up a “football position” at a top-flight outfit.

That led to suggestions that a return to his former club Liverpool was on the cards. Staunton remained tight-lipped about his destination although he did say the job was with a club that is currently on its pre-season tour. Liverpool are currently on a jaunt of Asia.

“I can’t speak to the club at the minute because they are on their pre-season tour,” said Staunton. “When they come back, we will discuss it further but it’s more or less done and dusted. Since the Ireland job, I’ve been involved at the lower levels. It would be nice to get back into the Premiership.”

Sammy Lee must have boiling piss this morning.

Assist Masters

Was watching SSN last night and they had an interesting side bar showing the players in Europe with most assists since 2006/07.

Fabregas was top, followed by Xavi, and then I can't remember the order but Gerrard, Lampard, Giggs, David Pizzaro, and a couple of others.

For a similar list, the following are the most 'important' players in Europe in terms of assists and goals to their individual teams, in the 2010/11 season.

Name % of team goals involved (either scored or assist)

1. Marco Di Vaio 60 (Bologna)

2. Theo Gekas 58 (Eintracht Frankfurt)

3. Edison Cavani 54 (Napoli)

4. Antony Di Natale 53 (Udinese)

5. PD Cisse 53 (Frieberg)

6. Lionel Messi 51 (Barca)

7. Chris Ronaldo 49 (R Madrid)

8. Sam Etoo 43 (Inter)

9. Carl Tevez 43 (Citeh)

10.Seppi Rossi 42 (Villareal)

Must say, I've always been aware of the impressive Cavani and how he's courted by all the top clubs, but I was really impressed with his movement the last time I watched him play, and also in the Copa America.

Please God! Nooooo!

2+2=6

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Higuain is incredible. Why would they want to let him go at all, regardless of other players. I'd love to see him here, even if it's only on loan. Bollocks, obviously.

Edited by Numero Veinticinco

Rumours that Christian Poulsen is on the way to FC Copenhagen, according to national team player's agent Jorn Bonnesen nothing on him.

"No, Christian Poulsen is not to FC Copenhagen, and he has not talked to them", says Bonnesen to Onside.dk, although English media today claim the opposite.

Although Christian Poulsen has not exactly turned on in Liverpool, so he gets the club, according to the agent.

"Christian Poulsen future lies with Liverpool", says Bonnesen to Onside.dk.

Google translation

Rumours that Christian Poulsen is on the way to FC Copenhagen, according to national team player's agent Jorn Bonnesen nothing on him.

"No, Christian Poulsen is not to FC Copenhagen, and he has not talked to them", says Bonnesen to Onside.dk, although English media today claim the opposite.

Although Christian Poulsen has not exactly turned on in Liverpool, so he gets the club, according to the agent.

"Christian Poulsen future lies with Liverpool", says Bonnesen to Onside.dk.

Google translation

Can't believe that.

Copenhagen are in the Champions League next season and are therefore much bigger than Liverpool. Aren't all players looking to play for clubs who can offer them Champions League football? :whistle:

Can't believe that.

Copenhagen are in the Champions League next season and are therefore much bigger than Liverpool. Aren't all players looking to play for clubs who can offer them Champions League football? :whistle:

We're lucky to have him. I just pray we can keep hold of him when the big teams come knocking.

Jose Enrique will be sold to the highest bidder by Newcastle after Alan Pardew revealed the player is not “focused” on the club.

Toon manager Pardew has admitted they won’t keep Enrique this summer, which would mean running the risk of losing out on a potential £8million-plus transfer fee.

The Spanish left-back, a target for Arsenal and Liverpool, has been offered one of the club's most lucrative contracts in recent times - according to Pardew - but is refusing to sign.

So, the Magpies' boss wants a deal to be struck swiftly so he can reinvest the cash from the sale in buying a replacement.

As Newcastle prepare to kick off their pre-season fixtures tonight against Darlington, Pardew said of Enrique: “There is a slight difference between Joey Barton’s situation, with a year left on his contract, and Jose.

“Joey seems pretty focused on Newcastle whereas the noises coming out of Jose's camp are that he wants to get a new club [that is] playing Champions League football.

"We cannot offer him that at the moment, so that seems to be his focus. Hopefully that will change.

“It is a moving feast. We have got to be ready because if he goes, it is going to leave a big hole in the team and we need to fill it quickly. But he does travel to the United States with us.

“It is not ideal for us, as you can imagine. It is difficult. We have offered him a massive contract for this football club and he does not seem to want to sign it, so it is a very difficult position.

“We have had no concrete offers, but we are going to try and have contingency plans in place so that if we do lose X, then Y comes in.

"We are going to have to give ourselves some sort of chance, so that [a deadline-day exit like Andy Carroll’s to Liverpool in January, which left Newcastle with no time to buy a replacement] does not happen again.

"We not want to be in the same position as last time.”

Read more: Liverpool Newcastle set for bidding war Jose Enrique Newcastle reveal want sell defender quickly so can buy replacement - Transfer News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Tottenham are racing against time to sign Ivory Coast sensation Souleymane Coulibaly before the transfer window shuts at the end of August.

Spurs supremo Daniel Levy has set up a £2million move for the teenage superstar, who is ready to leave Italian side Siena to come to White Hart Lane.

However, Coulibaly must wait until his father is granted an Italian passport - a process that could take several weeks.

The 16-year-old will not be granted a work permit at his age, so has to arrive in Britain under the family umbrella.

The Coulibalys fled to Italy a couple of years ago to avoid civil unrest in their homeland

Read more: Tottenham £2m deal Souleymane Coulibaly teen Siena Ivory Coast striker under threat red tape - Transfer News - MirrorFootball.co.uk