You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A tale of two Footballers

stib

There once was a Liverpool player, let's just call him... eh.. Steven Gerrard,. He was one of the best players in the world, but he felt he was stuck in a team going nowhere.

He feared that his ambitions could not be fulfilled if he stayed with the team he grew up in.

The team closest to his heart, his favorite team, his hometown. He made the decision to join Chelsea because

he could see himself winning stuff there.

I wanted him to go swim with the fishes, I wanted him to catch some really horrible disease.

Then he changed his mind. He stayed with us, and his trophy cabinet has not excactly been filled up since.

There once was another player, let's just call him... eh.. Fernando Torres,. He was one of the best players in the world, but he felt he was stuck in a team going nowhere.

He feared that his ambitions could not be fulfilled if he stayed with the team he grew up in.

The team closest to his heart, his favorite team, his hometown. He made the decision to join Liverpool because

he could see himself winning stuff there. However things did not play out like he hoped they would. He just joined

the English version of his beloved Atletico. He would look to his teammate Gerrard and see a player approaching the twilight

of his career with nothing much to show for his exceptional ability, oh well at least he was playing for the club in his heart

in his hometown. Fernando Torres knew he needed a change.

The reactions since Torres transfer request are just pathetic and unworthy of our club. We know nothing about how Torres is seeing things from the inside

I love Kenny, and I'm thrilled to see the change in the side since he took over, but have you ever considered that he might be just an average manager now?

Torres has worked with Benitez who is a modern manager on top of his game, making a team punch above it's weight most seasons. Maybe he just don't see that happening

under Kenny? And no one really knows what's gonna happen in the summer... We might be starting all over again. He might be thinking this gonna take at least 3 years to fix,

by then he'll be pushing 30.

He came here to win, not for sentimental reasons.

We dont know all the facts here, he might well be doing us a favour, even playing along with a game the manager and the owners has designed for the benefit of the club.

He might have made his mind up that he's leaving this summer no matter what, and told the club about this. Then he might actually be doing us a favour by leaving now;

If it's true that there's a 50m release clause that activates this summer then selling him now would be the only way to get MORE than that.When the club make his request public they're really just saying

"the table is set, but this is gonna be one expensive meal"

There's no way Chelsea will be the only bidder if Torres is leaving by Monday, Citeh and maybe even Barca (real's a no go) and Inter (united?) will be in the hunt. The price will go up.

£50m is peanuts for a player of Torres quality we should get 70m , if there's a clause activated in the summer we could loose a lot of money.

And also by handing in a request he will forego his share of the fee which might even be somewhere between 10-20% (at least £5-10m!!!)

So his request might actually, best case scenario give the club £30+ more cash than a summer transfer!!!

This season is a write off anyway, We'll never get 4th and who really gives a flying fcuk if we make the Europa League anyway. It makes no difference to our season if he leaves now.

Do I want him to leave? Hell no!

Do I want to see him playing for ANY other english club (especially the chavs or the scum)? It'll be like losing a limb.

But COME ON!!! He's no OWen, he's no McMoneyman. I have no reason to believe that he's not genuinely fond of the club and the fans here, but he left his dream club to join us for christ sake!

TO COMPETE AT THE ABSOLUTE TOP LEVEL OF THE GAME... are we there now? will we be there next season? In the last year he's also witnessed 3 worldclass, fellow spanish speaking players and a world class

manager, with whom he had a special relationship, leave the club.

Fernando Torres does not owe Liverpool Football Club or the fans anything.

I'd love him to stay, and I'd be fully behind him if he does.

But I support LFC not Torres, that will never change. We sold Rushie, we sold the Mighty Mouse. We came back stronger. We will be back on our perch, with or without him.

Get over it. Move on.

Dude. Consider the fact unless we have eyes on someone already, it will be impossible to replace him (for god knows how long) in next few days (dont go Nando!!!!). As great as Suarez is, there'd be too much pressure on him to perform and dont forget about our lack of forwards (and wingers for that matter but thats another issue).

Before you compare the two situations and sure they have parallels. You need to wait to see if Torres changes his mind and whats more Torres is at a disadvantage here because how would any of us know and believe that he had?

Gerrards Transfer request was not rejected it was accepted and he came out of his own volition less than 24 hours later and said he wanted to stay. It was in a Summer there weren't 3 days left in the window and everyone knew there had been protracted contract negotiations. Some people burnt his shirt and some called him a cunt at the time. Some took years to forgive him, some never have.

Torres situation is somewhat worse and can only be judged when we see if he has any similar believable change of heart.

Anyone who wants to defend Torres by claiming that Kenny is 'average' when we have clear proof that Torres has behaved badly but no reason to believe that Kenny has done anything but make positive changes is a fuckwit. You should fuck right off. People like you aren't doing Torres any favours because you make people like me much angrier at the situation than I would be if I didn't see this pathetic unworthy piss weak excuse for a post.

Far too much sense and perspective in that post.

You do realise this is The Liverpool Way, right?

Yeah I especially love the perspective about Benitez's visionary-ness and world class-ness on the basis of the last couple of years...

... vs the perspective of Kenny's ordinariness on the basis of five games.

Nando's free to go, no complaints or anger from me, but how this can be turned into a Rafa vs Kenny thing is a big, big, big, big stretch.

(And before some Rafa-ite gets on questioning my parentage for having this opinion, I am eternally grateful to him for helping us win the European Cup in his first season.)

One of my points here is that we dont NEED to replace him now, .with him we'll maybe get 5th-6th, without him 8th? What difference does it make really?.

We'll get by without him 'til the summer. but we might get a shitload of more money for him now. And to buy a top class striker in january to replace him would never be good business anyway even if he'd handed in his request in august...

I just know that if I were Citeh, within touching distance of the scum, knowning that getting Torres could make the difference between 1st and 2nd, I'd be paying whatever it took to get him

If he's going anyway I don't really see what we have to loose here. It's not like we'll get relegated.

I don't care if Chelsea need to rebuild, if Torres makes the wrong career deceition by joining them, who gives a f***? That's his problem not ours.

Before you compare the two situations and sure they have parallels. You need to wait to see if Torres changes his mind and whats more Torres is at a disadvantage here because how would any of us know and believe that he had?

Gerrards Transfer request was not rejected it was accepted and he came out of his own volition less than 24 hours later and said he wanted to stay. It was in a Summer there weren't 3 days left in the window and everyone knew there had been protracted contract negotiations. Some people burnt his shirt and some called him a cunt at the time. Some took years to forgive him, some never have.

Torres situation is somewhat worse and can only be judged when we see if he has any similar believable change of heart.

Anyone who wants to defend Torres by claiming that Kenny is 'average' when we have clear proof that Torres has behaved badly but no reason to believe that Kenny has done anything but make positive changes is a fuckwit. You should fuck right off. People like you aren't doing Torres any favours because you make people like me much angrier at the situation than I would be if I didn't see this pathetic unworthy piss weak excuse for a post.

I never said Kenny WAS average, I just said that we don't know how good he really is at this point. I'm not even saying that I'd rather have Benitez, just that there's no question about his ability to manage in todays football. He won the champions League with THAT side, and two times la liga with Valencia. That is what's called achieving beyond the means. When Kenny was here last time around he got a very good team to achieve to the best of it's ability. That's not whats required of him now, we need more now. I don't know if he can deliver that (noone does)but I absolutely love him, so of course I hope so. But from Torres point of view he might have more of a basis to make his mind up.

The changes since Kenny came in have, of course, been very very positive..

In the future you might wait until you've calmed down a bit before posting as I don't really think your anger makes for a valid piont in this discussion.

Steven Gerrard wanted to move to Chelsea. He can fuck off too.

Honestly not forgiven Gerrard, LP? Honestly?

I sometimes have a little gnaw, but to be honest, I forgive him. A regrettable dalliance. We all make mistakes. He stayed.

If Fernando is going to leave the club, it will be on the club's terms. We'll already have his replacements' deals in the works or finished before it's agreed, and it won't be with three fucking days left in the January Transfer window.

Fuck Chelsea and Fuck Fernando for that matter... we own his registration until 2013.

There once was a Liverpool player, let's just call him... eh.. Steven Gerrard,. He was one of the best players in the world, but he felt he was stuck in a team going nowhere.

The team closest to his heart, his favorite team, his hometown. He made the decision to join Chelsea because

he could see himself winning stuff there.

I wanted him to go swim with the fishes, I wanted him to catch some really horrible disease.

Then he changed his mind. He stayed with us, and his trophy cabinet has not excactly been filled up since.

There once was another player, let's just call him... eh.. Fernando Torres,. He was one of the best players in the world, but he felt he was stuck in a team going nowhere.

The team closest to his heart, his favorite team, his hometown. He made the decision to join Liverpool because

he could see himself winning stuff there. However things did not play out like he hoped they would. He just joined

the English version of his beloved Atletico. He would look to his teammate Gerrard and see a player approaching the twilight

of his career with nothing much to show for his exceptional ability, oh well at least he was playing for the club in his heart

in his hometown. Fernando Torres knew he needed a change.

The reactions since Torres transfer request are just pathetic and unworthy of our club. We know nothing about how Torres is seeing things from the inside

I love Kenny, and I'm thrilled to see the change in the side since he took over, but have you ever considered that he might be just an average manager now?

Torres has worked with Benitez who is a modern manager on top of his game, making a team punch above it's weight most seasons. Maybe he just don't see that happening

under Kenny? And no one really knows what's gonna happen in the summer... We might be starting all over again. He might be thinking this gonna take at least 3 years to fix,

by then he'll be pushing 30.

He came here to win, not for sentimental reasons.

We dont know all the facts here, he might well be doing us a favour, even playing along with a game the manager and the owners has designed for the benefit of the club.

He might have made his mind up that he's leaving this summer no matter what, and told the club about this. Then he might actually be doing us a favour by leaving now;

If it's true that there's a 50m release clause that activates this summer then selling him now would be the only way to get MORE than that.When the club make his request public they're really just saying

"the table is set, but this is gonna be one expensive meal"

There's no way Chelsea will be the only bidder if Torres is leaving by Monday, Citeh and maybe even Barca (real's a no go) and Inter (united?) will be in the hunt. The price will go up.

£50m is peanuts for a player of Torres quality we should get 70m , if there's a clause activated in the summer we could loose a lot of money.

And also by handing in a request he will forego his share of the fee which might even be somewhere between 10-20% (at least £5-10m!!!)

So his request might actually, best case scenario give the club £30+ more cash than a summer transfer!!!

This season is a write off anyway, We'll never get 4th and who really gives a flying fcuk if we make the Europa League anyway. It makes no difference to our season if he leaves now.

Do I want him to leave? Hell no!

Do I want to see him playing for ANY other english club (especially the chavs or the scum)? It'll be like losing a limb.

But COME ON!!! He's no OWen, he's no McMoneyman. I have no reason to believe that he's not genuinely fond of the club and the fans here, but he left his dream club to join us for christ sake!

TO COMPETE AT THE ABSOLUTE TOP LEVEL OF THE GAME... are we there now? will we be there next season? In the last year he's also witnessed 3 worldclass, fellow spanish speaking players and a world class

manager, with whom he had a special relationship, leave the club.

Fernando Torres does not owe Liverpool Football Club or the fans anything.

I'd love him to stay, and I'd be fully behind him if he does.

But I support LFC not Torres, that will never change. We sold Rushie, we sold the Mighty Mouse. We came back stronger. We will be back on our perch, with or without him.

Get over it. Move on.

I stopped reading right there.

One problem with all that Chelsea have a big rebuilding job to, also he handed in a transfer request with 3 days left in the window, 3 weeks after he gave an interview on the people saying he wouldn't leave in January, he's as bad as owen and a thousand times worst than Mcmanaman

Oh right....what he really should have done is let his contract run down. At the same time as promising to sign a new one

Edited by Phoenix
added

Honestly not forgiven Gerrard, LP? Honestly?

I sometimes have a little gnaw, but to be honest, I forgive him. A regrettable dalliance. We all make mistakes. He stayed.

Would have interesting if Mourinho was allowed to bid £20 million for a 30 year old last summer.

If Fernando is going to leave the club, it will be on the club's terms. We'll already have his replacements' deals in the works or finished before it's agreed, and it won't be with three fucking days left in the January Transfer window.

Fuck Chelsea and Fuck Fernando for that matter... we own his registration until 2013.

Totally agree, i am upset as anyone about him leaving, however i do feel that the timing of his transfer request leaves a lot to be desired.For whats its worth i hope the Club dont allow him to go in this window, we should let him go in the summer, under our terms,when a suitable replacement is lined up and preferrably to a european team.