You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Haye Gives Harrison Chance to Get Beaten Up

Guest Numero Veinticinco

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can't jab, his jaw is questionable and he's never fought anyone with any real pedigree. he told us how he was going to 'clean up the division' he's done fuck all, he's never faced anyone with power in both hands like Wlad, I cannot possibly see how anyone could back him in that bout.

This

I don't hate Haye. I can just see he's another over-rated bum, who's not even in the same league as the great Klitschko brothers.

Edit: Just curious, does anyone plan on going to this?

Hard to argue with much of that other than Arreola has just been beaten by Klitschko and Adamek, Povetkin is worthy but not a big enough name and didn't sign a fight with the Klitschkos. Unfortunately this fight is being made for the public who are more likely to pay to watch a fight against someone they know and want to see beat rather than for the boxing enthusiast.

Personally I'd love to see him take on Solis and try and get some revenge in the first Haye fight I ever saw.

I think there would be more money in a fight with Adamek. If they fought in Atlantic City,NJ - as, with the exceptions of Cotto in NY and Pacquaio, well, anywhere, he consistently draws a crowd better than anyone - and the fight was on HBO there would be a lot of interest. That, however, would obviously be a much, much tougher fight and, all things considered, a big risk when he has a huge payday coming next summer.

Makes financial sense for Haye - maximum profit for the minimum risk so don't blame him really.

Would also point out that Haye has only been champ for a year or so & champs have always mixed time-marking , lucrative fights with career-defining ones.

The Klitschko's have spent the last few years emulating Joe Louis' 'bum of the month' campaign by entertaining under-sized, under-talented Americans who would never beat them in a million years, so it's a bit rich ripping into Haye for fighting an ex-super-heavyweight Olympic champion who is the present European heavyweight champ.

Not arguing that they've been facing bums but that speaks for the quality of the heavyweight division more than anything; I don't think you can pick a decent heavyweight and say that either Klitschko is avoiding him - Wlad has all but cleaned up the division.

Edited by Kevin D

This

I don't hate Haye. I can just see he's another over-rated bum, who's not even in the same league as the great Klitschko brothers.

Hardly great. Wlad has been knocked on his arse on more than a few occasions. Vitali is a tough bastard, got to give him that. But he has never been in with a great other than a fading Lewis. Not his fault, he can only beat the bums in front of him but he's nowhere near to being a great. If he was fighting in the early 90's against the likes of a young Lewis, Tyson, Holyfied, Bowe, and even the likes of Foreman, Tua, Mercer etc. he'd be totally out of his league.

Some serious opinion on repeat going on in this thread, try reading it and see if someone has not only already put your point across but probably had it countered as well.

Haye has fought quality, he cleaned up the cruiserweight division, Mormeck and Maccarinelli are quality names on his CV, he's also beaten Valuev and Ruiz who between them would have had 10-20 world title fights. Just because you don't recognise the names doesn't make them quality operators. In fact, that is exactly why Haye is fighting Harrison, more people will sit up and take notice then if he fights Solis or Chambers. As already mentioned, Adamek fought recently so that fight is off.

If you think the Irish don't like Haye, then try asking their opinion on Sam Sexton!

Hardly great. Wlad has been knocked on his arse on more than a few occasions. Vitali is a tough bastard, got to give him that. But he has never been in with a great other than a fading Lewis. Not his fault, he can only beat the bums in front of him but he's nowhere near to being a great. If he was fighting in the early 90's against the likes of a young Lewis, Tyson, Holyfied, Bowe, and even the likes of Foreman, Tua, Mercer etc. he'd be totally out of his league.
Based on what? Have you ever even seen Vitali hurt in a fight? I know he's not had great competition but it's complete guess work to say he would have struggled against the fighters you list. Wlad actually did fight Mercer and annihilated him, also think both would completely dominate Tua much like the way Lewis did and Vitali at least would handle Bowe much more harshly than the inferior Golota did.

Tyson a great haha

He fought a few bums and was knocked down by every decent fighter he ever met.

For as much as Harrison is a pudding the belt he owns (The European Heavyweight Title) is seen as a legitimate stepping stone to a shot at the World Title. Haye has basically seen a chance to put away what is supposed to be a credible contender whilst maximizing the worth to himself in cold hard cash.

I fully expect Haye to operate just below the brothers, putting easy challengers whilst building up his own fortune to set him up for life and then when the cash is in the bank he maximizes them earnings and takes on one of the brothers in a massive Box Office busting cash fight.

I see no problem in him fighting Harrison. Its big money, like winning the lottery. If Haye and the 2 brothers come through they all then decide who fights who in April/May next year in a Heavyweight superfight where Haye is guaranteed to be involved because the brothers wont fight each other.

Haye is doing this the right way, he needs this and maybe another fight at Heavyweight before fighting one of the brothers, but I think hes straight in after this fight. This fight is more about bank balance than standing and he knows it. Hes probably unashamed of that fact aswell really.

Based on what? Have you ever even seen Vitali hurt in a fight? I know he's not had great competition but it's complete guess work to say he would have struggled against the fighters you list. Wlad actually did fight Mercer and annihilated him, also think both would completely dominate Tua much like the way Lewis did and Vitali at least would handle Bowe much more harshly than the inferior Golota did.

Mercer was way, way past his prime when he took on Wlad. Like I said he can only beat those guys that are around, but Vitali's conquests are mostly bums. In fact, the only other decent boxer he fought besides Lewis, he lost too, Chris Byrd. I have not seen anything from Vitali to suggest he would have handled the big names from the 90's. And Wlad would have gotten totally destroyed.

Vitali Klitschko would have held his own in any era of Heavyweights. He may not have beaten the best, but he would certainly have been a live contender. A peak Lewis would have beaten Vitali 70/30 and would have KO'd Wlad. Vitali is/was comfortably the better of the two.

Is a fair point, but they have succeded in a division that I can't remember as being so poor.

Mercer was way, way past his prime when he took on Wlad. Like I said he can only beat those guys that are around, but Vitali's conquests are mostly bums. In fact, the only other decent boxer he fought besides Lewis, he lost too, Chris Byrd. I have not seen anything from Vitali to suggest he would have handled the big names from the 90's. And Wlad would have gotten totally destroyed.
I wouldn't class Byrd as a decent fighter myself, I presume you know the reason he lost that fight so are just being facetious.

I reckon if the Klitschkos had been American, not nearly as many people would be calling them bums. They've destroyed anything approaching a prospect before they have really made names for themselves, see Brock, Arreola, Chambers, Johnson, Sam Peter, Sosnowski etc, therefore suddenly anyone he's beaten was shit because he has dominated the fight.

Even an ageing Vitali has yet to be badly hurt in a fight, a lot more than can be said of pretty much all your 90s list.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Oh great this has somehow turned into a Tyson discussion (I realise I am as guilty as anyone else). Since we are here, lets have a pro-Tyson argument not using the word prime! They should have called him Mike "Iron Prime" Tyson!

It's the same as a footballer. Gazza in his prime was fucking amazing. Fowler in his prime was amazing. Owen in his prime... etc., etc.

It's the same with Tyson. At his best, he was utterly brilliant. The rest of the time... not so much. Same with Gazza, Fowler and Owen.

Agreed that he's overrated, but disagree that he is not a great. He certainly is a all time great. He would've beaten both Klitchko's in his prime.

In his prime - Translated to before he fought anyone decent

Definitely not one of the greats for me. Far from shit either though, I never said that.

I wouldn't class Byrd as a decent fighter myself, I presume you know the reason he lost that fight so are just being facetious.

I reckon if the Klitschkos had been American, not nearly as many people would be calling them bums. They've destroyed anything approaching a prospect before they have really made names for themselves, see Brock, Arreola, Chambers, Johnson, Sam Peter, Sosnowski etc, therefore suddenly anyone he's beaten was shit because he has dominated the fight.

Even an ageing Vitali has yet to be badly hurt in a fight, a lot more than can be said of pretty much all your 90s list.

And back to the circular argument again. The 90's boys had tough competition. Klitchko has not. And I would say his face getting splattered by Lewis to the point of ending the fight would qualify as being "badly hurt".

Haye is doing exactly what Mayweather does and moving the goalposts for his big fight.

The was alot of talk the deal was done for Vitali and then Haye decides he wants the majority of uk tv money with the rest to be split.

Haye is a good boxer but doesnt have a great chin.

If Vitali is fully fit he batters him,if Lennox Lewis cant put him down Haye will not.

This will be PPV i dont think Pac-mans will be

Tyson could have been a monster but he never lived up to the hype.

He is a similar boxer to Smokin Joe to me,both in the first few years were a nightmare to fight but after they lost that half step of speed there size relegates them to behind the best fighters of there times.

The major difference in the 2 is that Frazier had a rock of a chin maybe the biggest is miles away heart in boxing.

Tyson isnt a top 10 in my view,he maybe could sneak in on heavywieght list but he is miles from the all weight top 10,Jack Dempsey wouldnt make my list either,the is major suspsion he foght with loaded gloves and he also refused to fight any black fighter.

Not in any order behind Ali

1,Ali

2,Frazier

3,Louis

4,Johnson

5,Lewis

6,Holyfield

7,Holmes

8,Foreman

9,Marcianno

10,?

The 10 spot is were Tyson may work his way in,i doubt he would have beaten Vitali as tyson always struggled with big men who could tie him up on the inside and as soon as anything ever went wrong in a fight Tyson lost his will and couldnt make a comeback to win.Great fighters will be involved in some sort of war ad some time in the career they may not even win the fight but they will battle back from the defeat or drag themselves through the fight and find a way to win