You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Not sure if this is true, but I was told that Gerrard and Carragher wanted Roy! So, not sure if Gerrard will leave.

Not sure Torres will leave, the only viable option is Barcelona, but we want 60million plus, so tough shit!

I'd imagine that if Torres was offered to Barca for £60 Mill they wouldn't let him slip through their fingers. There'd be a lot of negotiations about which players they could swap, how they could make the payment but really - they'd do everything they could to secure his signature.

I think the only team you can rule out with any certainty is Real Madrid. He isn't keen on them at all.

Roy Hodgson seeking cash guarantee before he considers joining Liverpool - Telegraph

Liverpool are understood to be extremely close to agreeing terms with Roy Hodgson to become their new manager. However Hodgson is still seeking assurances from the club’s owners over what proportion of funds from player sales will be made available to strengthen the squad.

roy-hodgson_1669334c.jpg

On Tuesday night, Liverpool agreed a compensation package with Fulham, who have been seeking £2.5 million to release the 62-year-old from his contract, and talks continued to progress positively.

Hodgson is understood to have one or two issues that he wants to resolve before he signs a contract at Anfield although it is still hoped he will be presented as Rafael Benitez’s successor by the end of this week. It’s not thought Hodgson’s demands are prohibitive.

If Hodgson does move then it will end a long process with Liverpool have initially sought permission to speak to him four weeks ago. Fulham were reluctant to allow that while it also appeared the Anfield club were looking at other candidates.

Liverpool are believed to have around £15 million set aside to bolster a squad which finished a disappointing seventh in the Premier League last season, though club sources admit that will be reduced by whatever compensation is paid to Fulham.

Though Anfield’s financial straits preclude any increase on that figure, Hodgson is thought to be concerned at the prospect of losing several of Liverpool’s most valuable assets and not being handed the finances to boost his resources.

Should he take over at Anfield, his first task is likely to be rubber-stamping Yossi Benayoun’s £5.5 million switch to Chelsea, while Javier Mascherano is expected to depart.

Doubts continue to linger over the futures of Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, too. Though reports that Real Madrid have lodged a £20 million offer for the Liverpool and England captain are believed to be premature, the Spanish side’s new manager, Jose Mourinho, is a known admirer of the 30-year-old.

Gerrard, like Torres, is concerned that the continuing doubts over Liverpool’s owners, Tom Hicks and George Gillett, may compromise the club’s ability to compete on and off the field and, while he has not yet made a decision on where he will play next season, he is known to be considering his future.

His strike partner, meanwhile, is the subject of concerted interest from Chelsea, while the new Barcelona president, Sandro Rosell, has also made it clear he would like to tempt the Spanish international back to his homeland, though any such deal would be dependent on the sale of Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Liverpool’s senior players have been kept informed of developments in the club’s search for Benitez’s replacement and have raised no objections to the appointment of the Fulham manager, but Hodgson is nevertheless likely to seek talks with Gerrard and Torres in a bid to keep them on Merseyside.

Should either choose to leave, though, he does not wish to suffer a repeat of Benitez’s final summer at Liverpool, when the Spaniard discovered he had far less money to spend than he had previously thought.

The former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson has emerged as Hodgson’s most likely replacement at Craven Cottage should he accept Liverpool’s offer.

Other candidates include Tony Mowbray. Mark Hughes, who has also been linked to the job, turned down an approach from the Dubai club Al Ahli to become their manager on Tuesday.

The more things change etc etc.

Yeah but Hicks never told me the information! So you take your sarcasm sunny! And take a little time to think about what you say in future, and the effects that your words have on people!

I'm literally sitting here typing through the tears!

I hope you are happy?

This may cheer you up.

Fulham Chronicle - Sport - Fulham - Roy Hodgson confirms he will become new Liverpool boss

Seems he's telling his "Friends" about it now. Sorry, it won't let me cut and paste.

Roy Hodgson confirms he will become new Liverpool boss

ROY Hodgson this morning told friends he will become the next manager of Liverpool.

The 62-year-old Fulham boss has been favourite for the Anfield hotseat ever since Rafa Benitez left the Reds earlier this summer.

And the LMA manager of the year has confirmed he will be leaving Craven Cottage to move to Merseyside.

----------

There you go

Fulham Chronicle - Sport - Fulham - Roy Hodgson confirms he will become new Liverpool boss

Liverpool are understood to be extremely close to agreeing terms with Roy Hodgson to become their new manager. However Hodgson is still seeking assurances from the club’s owners over what proportion of funds from player sales will be made available to strengthen the squad.

Take a lawyer and get that shit in writing, Roy.

"Take Zidane or Roberto Carlos out of Real Madrid and replace them with McManaman and Salgado and it's not the same."

To which the correct response would be:

Real Madrid won two titles and two European Cups while McManaman was there, you clueless dickhead.

Yes. Bleeding obvious, but not, in this context, very interesting when the quote would at least invite him to comment on how much he prizes Gerrard and Torres.

Roy Hodgson confirms he will become new Liverpool boss

ROY Hodgson this morning told friends he will become the next manager of Liverpool.

The 62-year-old Fulham boss has been favourite for the Anfield hotseat ever since Rafa Benitez left the Reds earlier this summer.

And the LMA manager of the year has confirmed he will be leaving Craven Cottage to move to Merseyside.

----------

There you go

++

TAMuchly

Jamison "Jamey" Newberg, who operates a popular website, The Newberg Report, was paid $27,125 by the team from February through April, according to the court document filed late Monday.

Newberg said the payments likely were for books he sold the club. And while he received no money for his blog, the Rangers did finance his family's trip to spring training in Surprise, Ariz.

A lengthy 2004 Dallas Observer article described Newberg's blog as a must-read for fans and even baseball beat writers and team officials who, it said, were initially suspicious of Newberg

Read more: Tom Hicks draws $183K salary from Rangers | Texas Rangers | Texas Rangers News and Videos | S...

His first competitive match will oblige him to field a team probably without the likes of Reina, Johnson, Carra, Agger, Skittles, Mascher, Gerrard, Babel, Maxi, Kuyt and Torres. Do we even have a reserve keeper now? I suppose some of those might be ready but they won't be fit. Good luck, Roy.

Liverpool are believed to have around £15 million set aside to bolster a squad which finished a disappointing seventh in the Premier League last season, though club sources admit that will be reduced by whatever compensation is paid to Fulham.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, but something needs to be done, and sadly a catastrophic failure is the only way to get rid.

If people aren't prepared to boycott the club, the merchandise etc, then maybe the next option is to hope that they simply stop wanting to support the club!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, but something needs to be done, and sadly a catastrophic failure is the only way to get rid.

If people aren't prepared to boycott the club, the merchandise etc, then maybe the next option is to hope that they simply stop wanting to support the club!

For every one person boycotting the club entirely, there are 20 who fit the description of the type of fan the owners want in the ground.

Oh, and good luck to Roy. I'm not against the appointment, but he wasn't my first choice for the job.

things are pretty grim at the minute and I can't be arsed with the club at all, but I've no doubt come August 1st I'll be itching for the season to start. Hopefully; I won't be looking forward to the end of it come September 1st.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
For every one person boycotting the club entirely, there are 20 who fit the description of the type of fan the owners want in the ground.

What about the games we don't fully sell out for at the moment?

Why's that, gk?

They're at the world cup, and there's a regulation saying players have to have a 3 week break, so Masch & them won't be back till 26th of july and our 1st game is on the 29th I think. So doubt they will be allowed to play and we'll probably rest Gerrard, Skrtel, Johnson etc.

His first competitive match will oblige him to field a team probably without the likes of Reina, Johnson, Carra, Agger, Skittles, Mascher, Gerrard, Babel, Maxi, Kuyt and Torres. Do we even have a reserve keeper now? I suppose some of those might be ready but they won't be fit. Good luck, Roy.

I think he may try and get the englsih lads and Skrtel back if he can.

They are getting 3 weeks off i read somewere so it will be tight but i expect a couple of them to be added to the squad submitted to UEFA.

I wonder if he will try to talk Joe Cole into joing us and if a english manager may be able to talk him into joining,wishfull thinking i would have thought,but hell get more football with us tahn with Arsenal and Spurs the other clubs linked

Which is why I said, if a boycott isn't going to work then maybe we need to look for people to stop wanting to support us!

Why's that, gk?

Well, I don't think the Argentinian, Spanish and Dutch players will be back by the time of the Europa qualifier. The other World Cup players are getting longer to rest before training again. That leaves a bit of a race to be ready for late July. Maybe Roy will be less anxious than rafa about bringing them back.

What about the games we don't fully sell out for at the moment?

What about them? There will still be enough people there who'll visit the club shop etc.

In fact, I'd imagine there'd be more of that type of fan there as, if the game isn't sold out, there's obviously more chance of them getting a ticket and doing the daytripper thing.

Well, I don't think the Argentinian, Spanish and Dutch players will be back by the time of the Europa qualifier. The other World Cup players are getting longer to rest before training again. That leaves a bit of a race to be ready for late July. Maybe Roy will be less anxious than rafa about bringing them back.

I'd completely forgotten about that EL qualifying.

Ugh.

Which is why I said, if a boycott isn't going to work then maybe we need to look for people to stop wanting to support us!

Yeah, fair enough. Probably should have read it better rather than skimmed it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The logic of that statement is that the £6 Mill they paid Benitez off with has also come out of the "Transfer budget" - what a bunch of imbecilic half-wits.

Whose going to deliver the Eulogy?

I think he may try and get the englsih lads and Skrtel back if he can.

They are getting 3 weeks off i read somewere so it will be tight but i expect a couple of them to be added to the squad submitted to UEFA.

I wonder if he will try to talk Joe Cole into joing us and if a english manager may be able to talk him into joining,wishfull thinking i would have thought,but hell get more football with us tahn with Arsenal and Spurs the other clubs linked

Cole will go to whoever pays him £150k a week.

Won't be coming to us then!