You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit more insight. Nicked of RAWK (yes, i did)

Manuel Luis Pellegrini Ripamonti's (Santiago, Chile, 16 September 1953) career in sports has been centered on the two continents where football is considered a religion: South America and Europe. The former is where he began his stint as a player, while the latter has witnessed him become one of the best coaches currently in the industry. "The Engineer" (Pellegrini is a qualified civil engineer) has earned the respect of the old continent through intelligence and his reliance on precision football.

Humble, persistent, intelligant and a reverent demeanor when it comes to ball handling are just a few ways to describe the new head coach of Real Madrid. As many before him, Manuel Luis Pellegrini has always had a bond with football. He spent his entire playing career with the same team, Universidad de Chile. Such loyalty reaped a Copa de Chile; a trophy he later won as coach of Universidad Catolica. He earned the respect of the crowd from his position as a centre-back, where he also laid the foundation for his productive career as a coach.

Pellegrini has over 20 years of coaching experience. Since debuting with Universidad de Chile in 1988, the Chilean has been a sponge of information and knowledge. In fact, he left the club and moved abroad to take coaching courses.

Palestino, O'Higginns and Universidad Catolica were the last three teams coached by Pellegrini in his native Chile before landing at LDU Quito in Ecuador, who he guided to the national title and a quarterfinal appearance in the Copa Libertadores. In 2001, he made the transition to Argentine football by taking over at San Lorenzo and River Plate one season later, both of whom he led to Clausura titles.

Always aware of new talent coming out of the Americas, Villarreal astutely signed Pellegrini for the start of the 2004/05 season. His five seasons at the helm of the Yellow Submarine were the most successful in the 80+ seasons of club history. Fans of Villarreal, a town of no more than 50,000 inhabitants, will never forget the 2007/08 season when the team finished as league runner-up and especially the Champions League semifinal against Arsenal, where one penalty kick prevented them from moving into the final. That same season Pellegrini won the Miguel Muñoz trophy, presented to the best coach of La Liga.

Manuel Pellegrini belongs to the latest generation of coaches who believes that intellectual development isn't at odds with the work done on the bench. With a degree in Civil Engineering, Pellegrini has stated that "whoever devotes 24 hours a day to football is a bad coach. Football is a combination of personality, taste, demands, leadership... Leadership is learned by reading, seeing and living. If football is all I know, then I know nothing."

Among his many tactics, special treatment for the ball is a high priority. "We train with the ball; the dynamics of the game. When you make the opponent run and wear out, your personal physique improves. Then there is the intensity from each position: I want defensive wingers to close in on a ball 20 times at full speed, and that can only happen by holding practice matches in small areas... Always playing. Running 800 meters isn't real," he recently stated during an interview.

Mobility and fast combination are a large part of Pellegrini's tactical methods. Defensive precision and the tension with which players on the back line are expected to experience games are just as important as the creativity and imagination implemented in the final decisive meters. Pellegrini explained, "My philosophy is related to having good technical players. A player must be steadfast in one part of the pitch in order to close open spaces run relays, crosses, come out of his own side of the pitch... and you have to let him invent in the last 25 meters. I tell players, "Let's manage ten set-pieces. We won't be successful eight of the ten times, but we will win the match with the other two." Creative football is hard if you aren't able to combine with others or be comfortable touching the ball. If a coach gets upset the first time a player makes a mistake in the final meters, the player will do things practically, but not make a difference. Making mistakes while trying new things is better than plain football."

Manuel Pellegrini won't have any reservations about drafting players from the academy. European champion with the Spanish national team, Cazorla, and midfielder Bruno are two examples of a style of football that fit in perfectly with the ideology of his new team.

- Sounds refreshing to say the least.

" Creative football is hard if you aren't able to combine with others or be comfortable touching the ball. If a coach gets upset the first time a player makes a mistake in the final meters, the player will do things practically, but not make a difference. Making mistakes while trying new things is better than plain football."

i hope in practice he is like that if he ever ends up at liverpool

You mean a manager who has some idea of what he's doing?

Ha, possibly, although even if Hodgson was doing a decent job, people wouldn't want to gove him credit. He wasn't wanted before he even took the job, hiding to nothing springs to mind. Although I don't think anyone could have envisioned the season stinking as much as it has.

Guest the boy

People wouldn't give Hodgson credit if we were performing well? Based on what?

You 'don't think he's that good'? 96 points in his first season at Madrid, and making an ever competitive outfit out of parochial Villareal, who he also got to the verge of a European Cup final, doesn't satisfy you?

Eeeeerrrmm. No.

Not keen on the replacements being given the strongest push, though - i.e Pellegrini & Rijkard.

The King or Hiddink would be near the top of the list for me.

Deffo don't want Riijkaard, Pellegrini i don't know anything about. Hiddink and Kenny yep. I'd like to see loew offered it personally. Not sure he'd take it like.

Not really too enamoured with any of the candidates that seem to be closest to getting the job, Pellegrini (though would prefer to Rijkaard) Rijkaard, don't think Hiddink is the right man either. Really think the best option is to give Kenny the job till the end of the season and have a thorough search for a long term candidate to take the job.